Professional Intern- Housing

scjo68

DIS Veteran
For Professional Interns- Would those who have experience in this program recommend living in Intern housing in Falcon Square? Or trying to find an apartment with a short term lease/ sublet/ roommate?

DD is starting her PI in August.
The Falcon Square housing (which may be full already- DD has been sent housing info by recruiter, but she does not know if its really available or not). Obviously this would be the easiest option, and the apartments look nice, and like they are in a safe area. However, DD had a terrible experience freshman year in college with her roommate, who she did not know before school. She is really nervous about committing to living in the same room with a stranger again. She does not want to be with someone who will make her whole experience negative. I would love to hear experiences from those who have done a PI. I have heard scary stories from CP participants about partying roommates but I think that is maybe different? She really is not into drinking and partying. Her idea of fun is going to the parks,

She is looking at the DPI facebook page trying to see if others need short term roommates ( not in same room- in 2BR apartments}. She can't really find what she is looking for. Also, we can find possible short term rentals in air bnb but you can't really tell much about them- where they are- if in a safe neighborhood, etc. And again, she would need to find someome who is not a big partier.

ETA: There seems to be a waiting list for the Intern housing.
So it looks like she may have to find her own housing.
What about an extended stay hotel?

Any input from PI's or former PI's?

Last edited:
Former PI, but did not live in housing (my offer was just a few weeks before the start date, so no availability)

Falcon Square is definitely the easiest since its furnished, and lease dates are flexible. I 100% get not wanting to live with a stranger again, but definitely keep the option open if a spot opens up. There is a big difference between college freshmen and young professionals. Of my friends who lived in Falcon Square, none of them had poor experiences. Because of the nature of the program, individuals are generally more mature than what the 'typical' CP might be.

I lived in a 3 bedroom with 2 other PIs who I found on Facebook (Is the PI pages shes looking on a group specifically for Fall 2019 interns?). There's also a much larger facebook group for WDW cast to find roommates that I can send you the link to. August is still a bit away, so expect people to be looking for roommates closer to the start date as well.

Looking for short term rentals can be tough - Orange County has historically not allowed them (that might have changed recently - I don't remember the exact jurisdiction that allows them now), so apartment leases had to be at least 7 months long. It is possible for her to take over a lease, which is extremely common though she runs the risk of the lease either ending too soon, or extending past her stay and having to find a replacement. My program was a year, and both had to move apartments mid-program, and find a replacement at the end.

Thank you! I do not think she is on the specific Fall 19 page. She said most of the posters she has found are arriving in June, so not a good fit, timewise. She wishes she were starting in June as well, tbh- she is excited to get started!
So I think you are right, she needs to give it some more time as it gets closer to fall. I will tell her to look for a specific Fall 19 page.

I appreciate your input, SureAsLiz!

Incoming Professional Intern here! My dream has always been to work for Disney in the Corporate Offices, so when I was offered my PI I truly saw it as the gateway to a long-term career with Disney. For this reason, I decided to sign a year-long least at an apartment in the MetroWest area of Orlando. I'm with two other girls in a 3br and because I have the master I pay a bit more, but to me it is worth it.

During my college program I linked up with roommates I had found on Facebook for the first part of my program, and had random roommates when I extended for the second part of my program. My first batch of roommates had such a great dynamic (three of us were actually in our roommates wedding a few weekends ago!) but the second "random" batch were an absolute nightmare. I did not want to share a bedroom for the cost of Falcon Square and because I chose my off-property roommates from a Facebook group, I was able to make sure that they were a good fit before signing my lease.

I would say it is up to her, but because I was born and raised in FL and plan on staying for the rest of my career, the apartment route made sense for me!

Best of luck -

Incoming Professional Intern here! My dream has always been to work for Disney in the Corporate Offices, so when I was offered my PI I truly saw it as the gateway to a long-term career with Disney. For this reason, I decided to sign a year-long least at an apartment in the MetroWest area of Orlando. I'm with two other girls in a 3br and because I have the master I pay a bit more, but to me it is worth it.

During my college program I linked up with roommates I had found on Facebook for the first part of my program, and had random roommates when I extended for the second part of my program. My first batch of roommates had such a great dynamic (three of us were actually in our roommates wedding a few weekends ago!) but the second "random" batch were an absolute nightmare. I did not want to share a bedroom for the cost of Falcon Square and because I chose my off-property roommates from a Facebook group, I was able to make sure that they were a good fit before signing my lease.

I would say it is up to her, but because I was born and raised in FL and plan on staying for the rest of my career, the apartment route made sense for me!

Best of luck -
Haley, you seem to be on a great career path and are on your way! The "random roommate nightmare" is what my DD is trying to avoid. While it would be her dream to just stay with Disney long-term, she will need to finish college first. So, at least for now, she will be short-term.

Thanks for the input - wish you the best!!

I kinda had the same question but in reverse.

Moved to the area in Jan, closing on a place in July and looking for the best way to find CMs for the spare rooms. I specifically want CMs b/c I know they'll have money for rent, will be at work most of the time (as I spend 12 hours out for work a day) and won't be doing anything illegal in the room. Had some issues with roommates in the past, and hoping that lower rent for CMs will solve the issue.

I don't have FB, so is that the only way to get connected to CMs who want to rent long term?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter