Project Runway Season 16

By itself, measuring isn't really the issue. I think the issue is if the measuring is done in order to obtain a pattern. Someone else's pattern. I believe it's against the rules to use other people's patterns to make/design your clothes.

Wouldn’t the measurements be customized to the client’s body? So why would it matter if you are measuring a pair of pants elsewhere? Each model has different measurements.

Wouldn’t/shouldn’t each designer have knowledge of the measurements of a basic pants pattern?

In other words length would be 30”, waist 24” length from waist to crotch 20” for a size 5 pants (I don’t sew so I’m pulling these numbers out of the air) and then you would adjust the numbers according to the size of the model up or down. I hope I’m explaining myself clearly. Then you would adjust pant length to 25” for Capri length, etc.

Wouldn’t/shouldn’t each designer have knowledge of the measurements of a basic pants pattern?
Yes, that's the point. Why use someone else's pattern, if you already have that knowledge? In reality, not all the designers (on any of the seasons) have the full knowledge they need to compete. That's how some of them get weeded out.

Margarita told Michael t hat Claire has a measuring tape and was measuring garments in her room.
Yes.
She said that Claire had a measuring tape and was measuring pants. I thought I understood her to say that Claire was sneaking a measuring tape into the bathroom and measuring the pants she was wearing (which she may or may not have made herself).

Wouldn’t the measurements be customized to the client’s body? So why would it matter if you are measuring a pair of pants elsewhere? Each model has different measurements.

In other words length would be 30”, waist 24” length from waist to crotch 20” for a size 5 pants (I don’t sew so I’m pulling these numbers out of the air) and then you would adjust the numbers according to the size of the model up or down. I hope I’m explaining myself clearly. Then you would adjust pant length to 25” for Capri length, etc.
I’m not sure how measuring pants would help. Even if you had measurements, you would need to know angles. And, each person is different.
I could not make a pants pattern, but I have sewn enough pants to know that even with a proper size pattern, it’s really hard to get pants to fit well.

How could Magarita say she didn't want to throw anyone under the bus? She certainly did that a few episodes ago to her model.

How could Magarita say she didn't want to throw anyone under the bus? She certainly did that a few episodes ago to her model.

Yes she did, and I was not fond of her then. I think that she is kind of passive aggressive and I don't like that.

The twins have been annoying to say the least, and their antics would have had me climbing walls, however some of the behavior of the other designers is less than stellar. I have no tolerance when people band together building up their animosity, but do not have the guts to tell the person who they are piling on what the issue is. If all the caterwauling between the twins was annoying, why not ask them to quiet down? If you are annoyed because you feel cheating is going on, just say it. Don't be a martyr sulking and whining, and then look for a scapegoat when your own head gets in the way of your productivity.

Margarita got stuck as soon as she saw her hideous fabric. She let that get the best of her, and then fell in a rabbit hole after she discovered she had miscalculated the amount of fabric she needed to complete her outfit. She designed that mess. Clair did not.

Personally, I think that a few of the designers forgot that the challenge was not just a print challenge. It was a Dixie Print challenge. There was no way that any design with a print that would not look cute on a Disney cup would win, no matter how it stood in relation to others. Clair's print, out of all the prints, was the best for a cup, and that was why she won. If there was a way for that horrific skirt and peplumed blouse to win, the judges would have jumped on it. That print was a happy one for a to go cup.

Personally, I think that a few of the designers forgot that the challenge was not just a print challenge. It was a Dixie Print challenge. There was no way that any design with a print that would not look cute on a Disney cup would win, no matter how it stood in relation to others. Clair's print, out of all the prints, was the best for a cup, and that was why she won. If there was a way for that horrific skirt and peplumed blouse to win, the judges would have jumped on it. That print was a happy one for a to go cup.

I think that the production team done lost their minds putting the challenge together. It can be enough of an obstacle to design a print that suits both clothing and a cup. To combine that with the needs of a client giving the designer the parameters of where they will be "on the go" in the outfit to be designed creates an unrealistic challenge. IMO "On the Go" and a dressy outfit for a wedding automatically creates a conflict. This should not have been a challenge with clients, but a challenge where the designers dressed models and created their own narrative about the outfit.

Compounding that with handicapping the designers by having them design their print, draw their garment and shop for their companion fabrics without cluing the designers in about what kind of fabric will be printed with their design is ridiculous. Kentaro had to change his plans once he received his printed fabric because he had intended to use it for the flowy dress. IMO the show banking extra sponsorship $$$ was primary and production forgot about realistic impacts on the design process.

I think that the production team done lost their minds putting the challenge together. It can be enough of an obstacle to design a print that suits both clothing and a cup. To combine that with the needs of a client giving the designer the parameters of where they will be "on the go" in the outfit to be designed creates an unrealistic challenge. IMO "On the Go" and a dressy outfit for a wedding automatically creates a conflict. This should not have been a challenge with clients, but a challenge where the designers dressed models and created their own narrative about the outfit.

Compounding that with handicapping the designers by having them design their print, draw their garment and shop for their companion fabrics without cluing the designers in about what kind of fabric will be printed with their design is ridiculous. Kentaro had to change his plans once he received his printed fabric because he had intended to use it for the flowy dress. IMO the show banking extra sponsorship $$$ was primary and production forgot about realistic impacts on the design process.

I agree. I have no problem with sponsorship challenges, but this one was crazy. Those poor women they used as the showcase of the end results were brave, IMO. The producers wanted to shake up the show, I get it. But they put the designers in a no win situation, If they decided to put the needs and desires of theri clients over that of teh sponsor they stood verylittle chance of winning.

Wow I didn't know Georgina Chapman was married to Harvey Weinstein!

I did not either. I went back and checked that "his" Georgina was "our" Georgina. Yuck, She must have wanted to take a shower over and over again!

Wow I didn't know Georgina Chapman was married to Harvey Weinstein!

Glad you posted this. I heard it on the news today, and I was like "Did I just hear what I thought I heard?" Hasn't she already announced that she's divorcing him?

Nobody watched today? lol

I’m glad that Claire went home for breaking the rules with the tape measure. I do agree with what the judges were saying though..copying someone else’s work is sort of inevitable, it’s just the way it is.

I did NOT like how Michael and Margarita were acting all sorry and contrite after she was booted. ‘I didn’t know that was going to happen’ ‘I feel bad for sending her home’..no you aren’t. You wanted her to get caught and publicly called out and then sent packing. That’s exactly what happened. Don’t try to make yourself look better and not petty now. Own your part of it.

I think the pink poofy dress should have won. It was definitely the most avant- guard in my eyes. I don’t agree that Amy should have gone too. This week was her first stumble.

Interesting side note- I didn’t see the Weinsteins names in the credits this week as producers.

Nobody watched today? lol

I’m glad that Claire went home for breaking the rules with the tape measure. I do agree with what the judges were saying though..copying someone else’s work is sort of inevitable, it’s just the way it is.

I did NOT like how Michael and Margarita were acting all sorry and contrite after she was booted. ‘I didn’t know that was going to happen’ ‘I feel bad for sending her home’..no you aren’t. You wanted her to get caught and publicly called out and then sent packing. That’s exactly what happened. Don’t try to make yourself look better and not petty now. Own your part of it.

I think the pink poofy dress should have won. It was definitely the most avant- guard in my eyes. I don’t agree that Amy should have gone too. This week was her first stumble.

Interesting side note- I didn’t see the Weinsteins names in the credits this week as producers.

I am watching now, unfortunately we are only about 40min in, as I am back here in Pacific time! I could not stand Margarita and Michael back-pedaling about how they never wanted this to happen blah blah blah, seriously, we are not that gullible, especially after they both spent the entire previous episode whining and complaining about her!

I am glad Claire went home, although I found it pretty telling that the judges multiple times in this episode emphasized how the previous challenge was a 'print challenge', it was pretty obvious that neither the client's wishes, nor the 'girl on the go' idea was even remotely important to that challenge.

I am ready for this week's runway!

I think Ayana should have won with her giant pink bow dress. I actually hated Michael's look. I wish they had 2 days for this challenge, I think the final looks would have appeared more finished with more time.

I don't have an issue with Amy leaving too, her garment just didn't meet the challenge at all, it was boring and poorly put together. Overall, I was not impressed with this runway show at all.

I watched but turned it off before they picked a winner because all those looks were awful. After they told Kenya she was safe and then put Brandon's strappy potato sack in the top I just didn't care who won or went home. I did check the re-cap online to see though.
I told dd that Amy was going to go home, on top of her look being really basic and boring she is too old to be on the show. Not that I think she is old, I'm almost her age, it is just that the older designers never make it to the finals.
I thought Batani would do well in the competition based on her own personal style but she's been a disappointment for almost every challenge so I'm not surprised by her leaving too.

Good riddance to Claire. I loved how the other designers were ok with her work being so derivative but then their faces dropped when she mentioned having the measureing tape outside of the workroom. It’s such a stupid thing to do because she would have been fine if she did that in the workroom and it speaks volumes about her character. Margarita and Michael could not have handled that any worse and it’s pretty gross they knew and didn’t say anything sooner - waiting for Claire win makes them look like sore losers.

I loved it when Yolanda Hadid asked Michael if “he was a designer or a judge” and she said something else snarky and spot on.

I thought margarita was going to win...her dress was so dreamy and beautiful or Ayana because it was amazing also. Plus I can see them both as dolls, Michael’s garment..not so much.

Batani’s garment was a mess - she should have gone all out with her second chance there. There was absolutely nothing special about Amy’s garment at all but I was surprised they sent 2 Home last night.

I forgot to mention the Claire thing. I was pretty annoyed that they knew she was really cheating by having a measuring tape back at the house. These people are in a competition with some pretty spectacular prizes and one of them is cheating and nobody says anything about it before that designer has a big prize win?
I know reality shows aren't really reality, but come on, at least try to make it seem like it isn't totally planned.

I too am glad Claire went home. What a different work room that was after . They were laughing and joking even don't bring a measuring tape with you...

Brandon is a one trick pony for me , straps , apron looking thing. Why don't they call him on it.

Ayana's look was best for the challenge because it would have suited the dolls. Didn't like Michael's at all he only won after he told the judges it was a melting disco ball.

I must say Margarita's dress was really nice. But last weeks whole thing turned me off her and Michael. They should have said something when they saw her cheat not all this other stuff.

I too am glad Claire went home. What a different work room that was after . They were laughing and joking even don't bring a measuring tape with you...

Brandon is a one trick pony for me , straps , apron looking thing. Why don't they call him on it.

Ayana's look was best for the challenge because it would have suited the dolls. Didn't like Michael's at all he only won after he told the judges it was a melting disco ball.

I must say Margarita's dress was really nice. But last weeks whole thing turned me off her and Michael. They should have said something when they saw her cheat not all this other stuff.

I am on board with the Brandon look! I've seen enough straps to last me a life time. I don't get it?
The judges all think his look alike sack/strap clothes are "so innovative" Ick! I still say he should be dressing the star wars cast!
I also loved Margarita's dress and thought it would look lovely on a doll.
Now that cheating Claire is gone, where is the drama going to be next week?
Can't wait! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter