• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pros vs Cons of Renting DVC

dismom22

Mouseketeer
Thinking about renting DVC points for a 5-6 night stay in early Feb 2015. It would be at least me, my husband and our daughter...possibly 1-2 other adults. We will be celebrating our daughter's 5th birthday. Probably something like 1.5-2 days at MK, 1 AK, 1 HS, 1 Epcot. Lots of swimming, too.

Given our plans, what would be the pros & cons of renting DVC? We've never done anything like that. In September we stayed at POP which has been our only trip as a family, staying on-site. Which would be the best DVC to rent if we could find it and decided to?

Renting DVC is a great option to stay at a resort that's nicer than a value or moderate, at markedly less cost than a deluxe. And you get bigger accommodations as long as you are looking at 1BR+ rooms.

With a 5 year old, I would suggest BLT, VGF, or VWL due to proximity to magic kingdom. The first two have monorail access, while the third is lower point cost and is a more serene, relaxing setting IMO.

For your first time renting, I would suggest using a points broker. It might cost a couple dollars more a point but there is added assistance in actually performing the transaction. Board sponsor David's is highly spoken of.

Some see the reduced housekeeping versus the regular resorts as a downside. We actually consider this a bonus- after all we don't have someone clean our home daily. Weekly does just fine, especially since in a 1BR+ you have in room laundry if you want to freshen your towels every day.

DVC is not subject to promotions such as 30% off room rates or "free" dining (where you overpay for the room and they give away the dining credits in exchange.). DVC stays save you a whole lot off the accommodation and do give you access to Disney transportation. Everything else is at your discretion.

I would totally rent if I were you, just use a broker for peace of mind with this being your first experience. Have a fantastic trip!

The advantages are huge! You can all stay together in one unit. If the extra 2 adults come I would go for a 2-bedroom villa, if you can swing it. It will give you two private bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms and 2 double beds in 2nd bedroom. The 1-bedroom villas only have one actual bed, a king in the master. They have a chair or pull down single bed and double pull out sofa in the living room.

You have a full kitchen and full dining table so you can do breakfast and lunches, store drinks, freeze ice packs for the park...

With two older daughters, we love the extra bathroom(s). Just wish the 1-bedrooms had more than one actual bed.

They also come with free parking. And, some resorts have other added perks. I have rented my points once here on Disboards.

Before we were dvc members we also rented a villa through an owner at the Atlantis in Paradise Island. Renting villas works so well, especially in expensive places as it saves on food!

Renting DVC is a great option to stay at a resort that's nicer than a value or moderate, at markedly less cost than a deluxe. And you get bigger accommodations as long as you are looking at 1BR+ rooms. With a 5 year old, I would suggest BLT, VGF, or VWL due to proximity to magic kingdom. The first two have monorail access, while the third is lower point cost and is a more serene, relaxing setting IMO. For your first time renting, I would suggest using a points broker. It might cost a couple dollars more a point but there is added assistance in actually performing the transaction. Board sponsor David's is highly spoken of. Some see the reduced housekeeping versus the regular resorts as a downside. We actually consider this a bonus- after all we don't have someone clean our home daily. Weekly does just fine, especially since in a 1BR+ you have in room laundry if you want to freshen your towels every day. DVC is not subject to promotions such as 30% off room rates or "free" dining (where you overpay for the room and they give away the dining credits in exchange.). DVC stays save you a whole lot off the accommodation and do give you access to Disney transportation. Everything else is at your discretion. I would totally rent if I were you, just use a broker for peace of mind with this being your first experience. Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks so much! VWL is definitely the one I'm leaning toward if I can get my parents to go, too. You can take the boat from MK, right?! We did it after Wishes last time just to get out of there, avoiding the insane busses and monorail. That's when we fell in love with the setting. You're right, so serene!! My mom said she might even be able to get my dad to come to this one! Haha! My only question, can we still participate in EMH?

The con, if you don't rent through a 3rd party like David's rentals, is the risk of you not owning the reservation and somebody "taking the money and running". There's just that little bit of unkown when you go to check in.

Other than that, just always do the math. There are times of year where renting DVC could be more expensive than booking a room through CRO. At $14 per point in high season, some DVC rooms are pricey (especially BLT theme partk view and Grand Floridian).

We rented once before we added on at BLT. 6 nights in AKV-Jambo savannah view studio. I think it cost us about $950 or so at the time (early December, 2010). Given those rooms are usually never discounted below $250/night for the regular hotel side, it was a good deal.

Could have certainly done value resorts for less and maybe saved a little on a moderate at that time of year. But, wouldn't have done a deluxe for that price.

The flag I see is "maybe some other people" - DVC rentals are usually pretty final and you need to plan in advance - so if your friends or family change their minds and suddenly your are in a two bedroom with three people instead of five - sorry - you can't downgrade to a one bedroom - it might not be available and even if it is, it puts the points of the person you rented from in jeopardy. And if the people say no and then change their mind, the owner may not have the points to change the reservation and/or their may be no more availability for a bigger room or an additional studio. Even some owners are hesitant to make plans for "maybe we will bring" unless they have a backup plan for people backing out.

Timeshares like DVC work - both for owners and renters - but particularly renters - when you can make pretty firm plans

:offtopic: Hope you do not mind if I ask a question on this thread. BUT how does renting points work with FP+? We are thinking about renting for October as my husband is running the Ten miler for TT and room prices seem much higher than renting. (Also we have four kids so a 2 bedroom would be great.) But can I still pick out FP's in advance? Can I call and link in my tickets if I purchase them prior to arrival? Can I still use my magic +? Thank you so much!

Thanks so much! VWL is definitely the one I'm leaning toward if I can get my parents to go, too. You can take the boat from MK, right?! We did it after Wishes last time just to get out of there, avoiding the insane busses and monorail. That's when we fell in love with the setting. You're right, so serene!! My mom said she might even be able to get my dad to come to this one! Haha! My only question, can we still participate in EMH?

Yes to EMH. Yes to the boat.

And to the other person who asked about fp+, yes to all that as well.

You just need to have the room reservation linked to your MDE account online and also have your tickets linked. Then you can select the fp+ as soon as you are within the booking window.

Yes to EMH. Yes to the boat.

And to the other person who asked about fp+, yes to all that as well.

You just need to have the room reservation linked to your MDE account online and also have your tickets linked. Then you can select the fp+ as soon as you are within the booking window.

Awesome! Thank you! :flower3:

I love VWL but just so you know, VWL is a separate building from WL. The view from most of the VWL rooms is of trees and more trees other than a handful of rooms that can see just a bit of the lake through the trees. The fitness center is in the VWL building and the bus stops are in front of the VWL building but you have to walk over to WL for the CS and TS restaurants, the cocktail lounge and the resort store. There is a covered walkway between the buildings.

The biggest downside to renting is the one crisi mentioned. Most rentals are not refundable or even changeable. If you have to cancel or want to downgrade from a 2BR to a 1BR because your other guests decide not to go, that will not be an option. Even changing your dates will be difficult or impossible.

The con, if you don't rent through a 3rd party like David's rentals, is the risk of you not owning the reservation and somebody "taking the money and running". There's just that little bit of unkown when you go to check in.....

I'm not sure that David can even give any more assurance than the individual can get. He holds out half the money from the owner of the points until the guest checks in, but some con artist might not even mind that.

:offtopic: Hope you do not mind if I ask a question on this thread. BUT how does renting points work with FP+? We are thinking about renting for October as my husband is running the Ten miler for TT and room prices seem much higher than renting. (Also we have four kids so a 2 bedroom would be great.) But can I still pick out FP's in advance? Can I call and link in my tickets if I purchase them prior to arrival? Can I still use my magic +? Thank you so much!

Once you get the reservation number with your name on the reservation you can log onto your My Disney Experience account and link everything together. Once the tickets and reservation are on there you can start reserving fast passes at 60 days out.

I think it would be cheaper to rent one bedroom and studio for your parents then a two bedroom unless you really want to be together you can be on same floor

I think it would be cheaper to rent one bedroom and studio for your parents then a two bedroom unless you really want to be together you can be on same floor

Usually a two bedroom is fewer points than a studio and a one bedroom separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter