Provincial plans for loosening restrictions

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
I thought we could have a single thread on what each of the provinces are doing in terms of loosening restrictions in phases, and a place to chat about it.

Nova Scotia Has just introduced this as a first phase:

Looks promising! Praying at this point the borders for the Atlantic Provinces will open by mid-July so we can still go to Cavendish camping!

We hit a milestone in NB today - all cases recovered - 0 active cases! I am hopeful that the interprovincial restrictions will lift soon too. We miss our family in NS terribly and my DDs are really hoping to be able to take our annual PEI trip (we love Cavendish too!).

In NB the 2 household “bubbles” have been working well. It has brought a sense of normalcy back to our lives. My DDs are thrilled to spend time with their grandparents again - and DH and I are happy to have our built in babysitters back !:laughing:
In all seriousness it has been lovely have family dinners again, going for walks together... I am hopeful our “bubbles” will be expanded soon so we can spend time with extended family in the area as well.

Saskatchewan has the expanded bubbles as well and you have to keep track of anyone you've come into contact with in 14 days.

Phase One – Beginning May 4, 2020

• The first phase of the plan includes the re-opening of medical services restricted under the current public health order, and the resumption of low-risk outdoor recreational activities, including fishing and boat launches, golf courses and a fixed date for parks and campgrounds. The size restrictions of public and private gatherings will remain at a maximum of 10 people.
  • On May 4, public access to medical services will be reinstated, including access to dentistry, optometry, physical therapy, opticians, podiatry, occupational therapy and chiropractic treatment. When it is not possible to physically distance, providers will be required to take precautionary measures as outlined by the Chief Medical Health Officer.
  • Low-risk outdoor recreational activities will be allowable with precautionary measures, including fishing and boat launches (May 4), golfing with physical distancing guidelines (May 15) and a fixed date (June 1) and clear guidelines for the operation of parks and campgrounds.
visiting-friends-and-family-under-saskatchewan-reopen-plan.jpg

Last edited:

This is Ontario. I’m jealous of the provinces that are opening medical services. I really need to go to the doctor but we’re not there yet.

By following the proper health and safety guidelines these businesses will be permitted to begin operations on Monday, May 4 at 12:01 a.m.:

• Garden centres and nurseries with curbside pick-up and delivery only;
  • Lawn care and landscaping;
  • Additional essential construction projects that include:
    • shipping and logistics;
    • broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure;
    • any other project that supports the improved delivery of goods and services;
    • municipal projects;
    • colleges and universities;
    • child care centres;
    • schools; and
    • site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, industrial and residential development;
  • Automatic and self-serve car washes;
  • Auto dealerships, open by appointment only;
  • Golf courses may prepare their courses for the upcoming season, but not open to the public; and
  • Marinas may also begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the marina until public access is allowed.

Here is Alberta's relaunch strategy:

Our kids have summer camps booked in BC for late July so I am super curious about what BC's plan will be. Still hoping we can have some semblance of a summer.

What is everyone's province saying about school? Alberta is continuing with e-learning until the end of this school year, but has mentioned perhaps starting the next academic school year in the summer to make up for "lost time".

This is Ontario. I’m jealous of the provinces that are opening medical services. I really need to go to the doctor but we’re not there yet.

By following the proper health and safety guidelines these businesses will be permitted to begin operations on Monday, May 4 at 12:01 a.m.:

• Garden centres and nurseries with curbside pick-up and delivery only;
  • Lawn care and landscaping;
  • Additional essential construction projects that include:
    • shipping and logistics;
    • broadband, telecommunications, and digital infrastructure;
    • any other project that supports the improved delivery of goods and services;
    • municipal projects;
    • colleges and universities;
    • child care centres;
    • schools; and
    • site preparation, excavation, and servicing for institutional, commercial, industrial and residential development;
  • Automatic and self-serve car washes;
  • Auto dealerships, open by appointment only;
  • Golf courses may prepare their courses for the upcoming season, but not open to the public; and
  • Marinas may also begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the marina until public access is allowed.

Weird thing about this is that the garden centres around us in the GTA are already doing curbside and have been for a while.

Last edited:
In Ontario our schools are closed until the end of May. We aren't sure about June yet. We are doing distance learning.

They said that school won't start early this fall. Although it's already starting before Labour Day (which has never happened before).

No indication about summer camps.

Weird thing about this is that the garden centres around us in the GTA are already doing curbside and have been for a while.
Yes, it is strange that that came out. We've had garden centres with online ordering and curbside pickup for weeks in the London area!
In Ontario our schools are closed until the end of May. We aren't sure about June yet. We are doing distance learning.

They said that school won't start early this fall. Although it's already starting before Labour Day (which has never happened before).

No indication about summer camps.
We've had it where there are PD days (so teachers return) in August, but not the children. It was horrible for teachers that had planned vacation until the end of August. We had a colleague who was in Tokyo Disney that week. He and his wife (both teachers) had to change flights and get back earlier than they had originally planned. According to the Ministry site, schools start September 8. Did your Board get an exemption and return in August? If so, what Board is that?

without getting into specifics I'm curious as to what medical services you're missing out on. We also live in Ontario and While it's less than ideal I've been able to continue with regular follow-ups via telehealth services, including appointments I can't miss, I've had scripts faxed in, blood work ordered (haven't got my lazy butt out to get it done yet though 🤪) I've had phone calls from the dietitian connected to our family health team because I'm in the middle of a very extensive elimination diet that wasn't able to be stopped. My niece has been receiving her regular prenatal checkups and taken her toddler for his vaccines as well.

not discounting what you're saying you've been experiencing just wanted to let people know that our doctors have continued to take care of patients. I think this just highlights that even within the same province there seems to be discrepancies over services being open.

@friedela BC will be releasing their reopening plans later this week so I hope to post as soon as we know. Hopefully summer camps will be mentioned. We already have more things open here than other provinces already as we never went down to essential services. About a week to 10 days ago there was a lot of chatter about having our kids (at least k-5) back in schools before the end of May but on Wednesday the premier put the brakes on that, saying that most kids would not be going back til September.

without getting into specifics I'm curious as to what medical services you're missing out on. We also live in Ontario and While it's less than ideal I've been able to continue with regular follow-ups via telehealth services, including appointments I can't miss, I've had scripts faxed in, blood work ordered (haven't got my lazy butt out to get it done yet though 🤪) I've had phone calls from the dietitian connected to our family health team because I'm in the middle of a very extensive elimination diet that wasn't able to be stopped. My niece has been receiving her regular prenatal checkups and taken her toddler for his vaccines as well.

not discounting what you're saying you've been experiencing just wanted to let people know that our doctors have continued to take care of patients. I think this just highlights that even within the same province there seems to be discrepancies over services being open.
I don’t have a family doctor. All the walk in clinics in our area are closed and offer phone appointments only. My problem needs to be examined to be treated. The 2 clinics I called gave me 2 different medicines that didn’t work. Don’t want to go to ER because it’s not emergency but I’ve been in moderate pain for 7 weeks now. Maybe it’s different if you have a family doctor.

We have had curbside pickup for a lot of stores, doctors and walk-in clinics still open, restaurant take-out still happening...even paint stores!

Yes, it is strange that that came out. We've had garden centres with online ordering and curbside pickup for weeks in the London area!
We've had it where there are PD days (so teachers return) in August, but not the children. It was horrible for teachers that had planned vacation until the end of August. We had a colleague who was in Tokyo Disney that week. He and his wife (both teachers) had to change flights and get back earlier than they had originally planned. According to the Ministry site, schools start September 8. Did your Board get an exemption and return in August? If so, what Board is that?

Ottawa English Public. I don't think it's "official" but the draft calendar has is going back August 24 or 25 and it's widely expected that it will be approved. I'd be shocked if the Ministry says no. The French Boards usually go back that week. We have 4 boards. I'm not from Ottawa originally and find it all very confusing. During the strikes this fall it was really hard to figure out which unions affected which schools!!

Ottawa English Public. I don't think it's "official" but the draft calendar has is going back August 24 or 25 and it's widely expected that it will be approved. I'd be shocked if the Ministry says no. The French Boards usually go back that week. We have 4 boards. I'm not from Ottawa originally and find it all very confusing. During the strikes this fall it was really hard to figure out which unions affected which schools!!

Ottawa English Catholic too, though they say it will be officially announced in May. Who knows any more lol. Things are so messed up. Personally I am hoping they just cancel the year at this point and have them go back in September (it is September 1st when they are supposed to start this fall). I suspect I will be working from home at least that long, and if so, I won't need to worry about summer camps. I am not sure they could force me to work from the office at this point to be honest, they continue to send computer setups home to people who haven't been working thus far, and that is continuing over the next few weeks. I do wish I had my whole set up and not just a laptop though, I miss having two monitors!

The strikes were confusing, my son is in Catholic board and there were only 4 strike days, compared to I don't even know how many on the Public board. He felt it was very unfair of me to have him in the Catholic board, not only did he not get as many strike days but they have mass once a month :)

@MamaLema I would go to the ER if I were you, I understand you wouldn't normally and would use a clinic, but after this long, I'd suggest it needs a better look than what you've been able to receive so far.

Ottawa English Catholic too, though they say it will be officially announced in May. Who knows any more lol. Things are so messed up. Personally I am hoping they just cancel the year at this point and have them go back in September (it is September 1st when they are supposed to start this fall). I suspect I will be working from home at least that long, and if so, I won't need to worry about summer camps. I am not sure they could force me to work from the office at this point to be honest, they continue to send computer setups home to people who haven't been working thus far, and that is continuing over the next few weeks. I do wish I had my whole set up and not just a laptop though, I miss having two monitors!

The strikes were confusing, my son is in Catholic board and there were only 4 strike days, compared to I don't even know how many on the Public board. He felt it was very unfair of me to have him in the Catholic board, not only did he not get as many strike days but they have mass once a month :)

@MamaLema I would go to the ER if I were you, I understand you wouldn't normally and would use a clinic, but after this long, I'd suggest it needs a better look than what you've been able to receive so far.

Yep, September 1st. Which I don't like at all!!

We had 10 or so strike days I think. 2 different unions so we were out a lot. It wasn't a great year. What wasn't cancelled due to labour action was canceled due to this....

I also hope they cancel the school year. My kids are signed up for camps and I'd really prefer if they were cancelled. But no news so far. So we will see. I'm hopeful that I won't be back working in an office for a long time. I can do my job just as well from home.

I also miss my monitors and a mouse! I requested a mouse, monitor and keyboard and hope to get it by summer. That would help a lot. But I don't know what any plans are. I also work in Quebec but live in Ontario so I'm not sure how that will pan out. Right now there are checks at the border.

New Brunswick's plan which went into effect about 10 days ago. It is expected we'll move into the orange "Progressively Loosen" stage this weekend. We have not had any new cases in 15 days, and have 0 active (diagnosed) cases at the moment. School is expected to resume in September, however we have been warned it may largely be online if cases start spiking again, though they are making plans for school to resume physically. All large gathering events (festivals etc...) have been cancelled for the year.

QUEBEC:

Always been opened:

- Essential services (pharmacies, corner stores, grocery stores and supermarkets including Walmart, Canadian Tire, reno stores) ALL are closed on Sunday except pharmacies and corner stores
- Restaurants (curbside, take-out and delivery only): no dine in.
- Public transportation (commuter trains, bus)

Phase 1 since April 27:
- Lawn care services
- Nurseries
- Residential constructions for deliveries before July 31st (no new contract)

Nothing recreative such as golf course, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc. announced yet.

Medical services are still for essential treatments only in hospitals (urgent and semi-urgent). Most family doctors will do consultations by phone or video-conference. No physiotherapist, no dentist (unless it's urgent), no chiropractor, etc. My daughter broke her glasses and if I want them to be repaired I need to call and they will give me an appointment.

Next phases are starting today, mostly for regions outside Montreal and its suburbs (e.g. withdrawal of checkpoints, re-opening of manufactures, etc.). Montreal is delayed by 1 or 2 weeks for most and they made it clear that they might back-up if Public Health is not happy with the curve. It is based on the community curve and hospitalizations, not on total numbers since a very high percentage of our cases are in long-term care (CHSLDs) and those are closed and will remain closed from visitors and even for their residents (they are not allowed to go out).

Next phases: https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/hea...-resumption-activities-covid19-related-pause/

Daycares and schools:
- May 11 for daycares and elementary schools (K-6) for regions outside Montreal and its suburbs. May 19th for Montreal. VOLUNTARY so parents can keep their kids at home until next school year.
- Secondary schools (7-11), CEGEP (community colleges) and universities are closed until August.

Testing: Current rate of testing was 5-6K tests per day and this week they are supposed to increase that number to 14-15K tests per day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter