Provincial plans for loosening restrictions

My hairdresser is pregnant (due in August) so she isn't doing anything for a year and a bit. I was fortunate to get another stylist in the shop to follow her formula for my highlights. Now I'll just need to get her to do the cut the way my original stylist did it (just enough but not too many layers for my curls). It's a work in progress.

BC is moving into Phase 3 as of today. This means travel around the province of BC is now encouraged (with proper social distancing etiquette, etc). They are also allowing the film and tv industry to begin again. Movie theatres are now starting to reopen.

Things that continue to stay the same include the max on 50 people in a gathering. We will stay in Phase 3 until a vaccine or herd immunity is achieved or we have zero cases for quite a while. So yeah, I think we will be staying in Phase 3 for many months to come.

We're heading to Desolation Sound on Friday to pick up our charter boat for the week. We've done some sailing around the Gulf Islands and also the San Juan Islands in previous years but this time we are heading a bit further North. I've insisted on a power boat as opposed to a sailing one, just too much work and not as comfortable on a sail boat! :crazy2:

I'm still recovering from surgery so it will be nice not to have to haul lines and hoist sails.

We're heading to Desolation Sound on Friday to pick up our charter boat for the week. We've done some sailing around the Gulf Islands and also the San Juan Islands in previous years but this time we are heading a bit further North. I've insisted on a power boat as opposed to a sailing one, just too much work and not as comfortable on a sail boat! :crazy2:

I'm still recovering from surgery so it will be nice not to have to haul lines and hoist sails.

Hi Hon
Good to hear from you!
A word of advice,,take your time recovering...
gentle soft hugs
Mel

So apparently our local minor hockey club will start doing some skills training later this summer. It will be nice for our youngest to get out do something, he’s used to being busy 4-5 days a week with sports. Now we are just waiting to hear from our soccer club. It’s weird not racing around to all his sports.

My DD12's soccer club is opening registration for modified training. Essentially drills and small-sided games (4v4 or 5v5 with no coach). Twice per week, one hour each session for 7 weeks for $75. Not too bad, plus she's getting more social interactions with her peers.

St Lawrence Parks:

A quick update for anyone planning camping at the St Lawrence Parks. They have loosened their rules a bit and now align pretty much with the MNR Parks. Initial messaging from the Parks Commission indicated that rest rooms would be closed, however that has changed and only showers and laundry are closed. Restrooms are open with a maximum occupancy of 4 people. Not really an issue as there were very few tent campers.

We were there for the lead up to Canada Day, and can report that the park was probably at about half capacity. As expected, all waterfront sites were occupied, but mid park sites had high availability.This is in Woodlands Campground; McLaren and Farran are probably different as they have a fair proportion of seasonal sites. Milles Roches campground will not be opening. The public beaches along Long Sault are only opening for limited hours and on limited days of the week, however the in campground beaches are available for campers. All playground equipment and picnic areas are cordoned off and closed.

We were puzzled that the Upper Canada Migratory Bird Sanctuary remains closed. They claim for flooding, not COVID-19, but the area is so dry that it is under a fire ban, so that seems a little discordant. Considering how quiet the walking trails are through there, I personally would rate it a safe activity if they would open up (perhaps better to make the trails directional though as they tend to be loops anyway).

Upper Canada Village reopened (limited) on Canada Day. However, advanced and timed reservations are required for crowd control. I suspect that the reciprocal ticket offer with the campgrounds will be gone for 2020 as a result (we used to get 1 free admission per registered camper per visit).

For those in Eastern Ontario there are some really great recreation opportunities there.

Here's a quick shot of our Maddie's first experience kayaking this week:

ETA: Also should mention a change in registration procedure. Rather than have campers come into the office, for the busy times they have staff collecting names and details at the entrance. Campers are asked several questions about COVID status. You are then sent off to your site and they come by later with your post and vehicle permits. This seems like a pretty well streamlined process. Wondering if the MNR operated provincial parks are doing something similar? Some of those park offices are tiny and can get very congested.

Last edited:
Still don't know what's happening with schools in the fall yet, but I just want them to announce their plan so we can start to prepare

I was at walmart this week and see they have their school supplies out LOL

Hopefully NS will know at the end of the month the plan of attack for Sept.

A good portion of Ontario is moving to "stage 3" as of Friday. My son will be thrilled to get back on the monkey bars. Movie theatres, in dining restaurants (with limitations). Hopefully this continues, and hopefully the rest of the province is able to follow suit soon. No amusement parks yet, so I guess no water parks for us yet.

A good portion of Ontario is moving to "stage 3" as of Friday. My son will be thrilled to get back on the monkey bars. Movie theatres, in dining restaurants (with limitations). Hopefully this continues, and hopefully the rest of the province is able to follow suit soon. No amusement parks yet, so I guess no water parks for us yet.

I don’t get why are allowing bars to open, which have caused problems in other areas. But not water parks to a very limited capacity.

For example we were at African Lion safari and walked past the empty splash area (kind of like a mini water park). And I was commenting to the kids how they could easily open up that area to say 50 people at a time and you have no problem keeping your distance. They could just not have change rooms open. Which isn’t ideal but is the same with splash pads in the city.

We just got back on Friday after being on a boat for a week. We had arranged for the charter at the end of last year and although my father in law did not fly out here from Toronto to join us, the 3 of us had a mostly good time. We spent the week going around the Desolation Sound area and it is simply a wonderful area to explore! The last full day (Thursday, which was our son's 15th birthday) was a bit of a cluster **** though. We were trying to get from Lund to Comox, a distance of around 25 nautical miles (around 3.5 hours) and when we were crossing the Straight of Georgia we struck some pretty nasty weather which made for a really rough crossing. I grew up sailing on Lake Ontario and I will say that this was the worst experience on the water I have ever had. I actually don't think I have ever been this scared and both our son and I were seasick. He has never been seasick ever and I have only been once before. My husband made the very smart decision to change course and get us to calmer waters where we anchored for the night before making our way to Comox the next morning. When I woke up the next day I was covered in bruises from being tossed around, I would not be exaggerating if I said that I had at least 40 bruises on my legs alone!

But, we made it back to Comox safely and drove home that day. It was really wonderful to get away and we saw some many amazing things such as seals, whales and ancient petroglyphs but it will be a while before I want to get back on the water again!

We just got back on Friday after being on a boat for a week. We had arranged for the charter at the end of last year and although my father in law did not fly out here from Toronto to join us, the 3 of us had a mostly good time. We spent the week going around the Desolation Sound area and it is simply a wonderful area to explore! The last full day (Thursday, which was our son's 15th birthday) was a bit of a cluster **** though. We were trying to get from Lund to Comox, a distance of around 25 nautical miles (around 3.5 hours) and when we were crossing the Straight of Georgia we struck some pretty nasty weather which made for a really rough crossing. I grew up sailing on Lake Ontario and I will say that this was the worst experience on the water I have ever had. I actually don't think I have ever been this scared and both our son and I were seasick. He has never been seasick ever and I have only been once before. My husband made the very smart decision to change course and get us to calmer waters where we anchored for the night before making our way to Comox the next morning. When I woke up the next day I was covered in bruises from being tossed around, I would not be exaggerating if I said that I had at least 40 bruises on my legs alone!

But, we made it back to Comox safely and drove home that day. It was really wonderful to get away and we saw some many amazing things such as seals, whales and ancient petroglyphs but it will be a while before I want to get back on the water again!

That sounds like it was an awesome holiday!!!! I don't know if I could do that, but it sure sounds like fun!!!

It seems that with the move to Stage 3, many people think this is over or something. I have been to the store and people are ignoring the arrows, crowding around, it's very annoying. I was standing looking at the bandaids and two groups of people came and stood between me and the rack, groups! Yes, they all wore masks but still! We won't be going out much now I guess. Hopefully once he's used to the splint kiddo will be able to go to the park with his friends, but he does have instructions to not get too close and he's anxious enough to listen. Won't be able to use the monkey bars with only one good arm though. This weekend is supposed to be HOT so I am sure the beaches will be super crowded. I know Ottawa is already seeing an increase, I expect that will continue to grow.

News about schools is supposed to be given the first week of August, after the long weekend. I don't know what I am hoping for now. I want him to be able to get back to school, he needs it or he won't do any of the work, but I also want him safe.

NS schools opening this year at 100%, but masks are not required. Yet, masks will be mandatory at pretty much all indoor venues starting July 31.

I am considering making DD12 wear a mask for school. She will be starting junior high grade 7, so we will have to see.

It seems that with the move to Stage 3, many people think this is over or something. I have been to the store and people are ignoring the arrows, crowding around, it's very annoying. I was standing looking at the bandaids and two groups of people came and stood between me and the rack, groups! Yes, they all wore masks but still! We won't be going out much now I guess.
Totally agree with this. Took DD to her favorite store the other day as it is closing (another economic impact with covid) and she had gift cards to use up. We were in the line waiting outside as the store only lets a specific number inside, and the lady behind me was standing way too close, had her mask off as she was slurping her drink and chatting with her daughter. Until there is a vaccine or it dies out, the virus is still here...and this lady didn't even have her mask on.
Also while in line to pay, another lady stood way to close. In both cases, I gave them a look, but I honestly don't think everyone cares or as you say, thinks that it's over as we're in stage 3 now.

Saw one in Home Depot yesterday. Two people in the store, one had their mask off their nose, the other had theirs on their chin, freeing up both nose and mouth while they were talking to the one with it off their nose. And the one with it on their chin didn't look like it was temporarily down just to chat, it was snugged up like a sling on their chin almost as if that's exactly where they positioned it.

Last edited:
It really is frustrating. I don't want to go out in public other than what's necessary. People are so selfish! I just don't get it, how do you not believe medical professionals and scientists? But then I guess that is already shown in people who don't believe in climate change or vaccinations.

Yes, that straight can really blow up! Even the local areas in the lower mainland, Sunshine Coast, and Van Isl, I’ve paddled in many areas and you can go along with flat water then go around a point and you’re not in Kansas anymore! Glad you crossed safely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!