Provincial plans for loosening restrictions

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/on...two-weeks-as-upward-trend-continues-1.4950215
Looks like Ontario is not going to be opening anything else any time soon. Our numbers have been rising since last week and with less testing. Doug Ford has said he has no issues of dialing things back if the trend continues. :( Good luck on seeing my trailer this summer.

I'd rather this than continuing to open despite the numbers to be honest. Some places seem to be continuing to open more and more when the numbers don't really support it.

CBC was reporting that provinces are opening despite not being able to fully track where we are catching covid, Ontario and Quebec in particular. Hopefully we will get there soon.

BC won't open their provincial campgrounds to non-residents of the province this summer. I wonder if other provinces will follow that pattern?

I'd rather this than continuing to open despite the numbers to be honest. Some places seem to be continuing to open more and more when the numbers don't really support it.

CBC was reporting that provinces are opening despite not being able to fully track where we are catching covid, Ontario and Quebec in particular. Hopefully we will get there soon.

BC won't open their provincial campgrounds to non-residents of the province this summer. I wonder if other provinces will follow that pattern?
I am hoping that with the random testing they want to start doing here in Ontario it will help. They did announce this morning they are working on an app for your phone to help with contact tracing.

We need them to be doing antibody testing. They were so strict with who they tested in Ontario that even showing up in a hospital with symptoms wasn't enough to get one in the early days. You had to have travelled or been in contact with someone who had it. I wonder what those antibody tests would show? I bet more people had it than the testing numbers reflect.

Same in NS. This is our new expanded list to get a test:

People with one or more of the following updated list of symptoms are asked to visit 811 online:
  1. Fever (chills, sweats).
  2. Cough or worsening of a previous cough.
  3. Sore throat.
  4. Headache.
  5. Shortness of breath.
  6. Muscle aches.
  7. Sneezing.
  8. Nasal congestion/runny nose.
  9. Hoarse voice.
  10. Diarrhea.
  11. Unusual fatigue.
  12. Loss of sense of smell or taste.
  13. Red, purple or bluish lesions on the feet, toes or fingers that do not have a clear cause.
When I was sick in early April, I had: 4, 5, 10, 11.
DH had: 2, 3, 7, 8, 10

DD11 had none.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/on...two-weeks-as-upward-trend-continues-1.4950215
Looks like Ontario is not going to be opening anything else any time soon. Our numbers have been rising since last week and with less testing. Doug Ford has said he has no issues of dialing things back if the trend continues. :( Good luck on seeing my trailer this summer.

It is all rather silly since there are lots of places that have had hardly any growth in new cases but they are still having to abide by the same regulations as all the hotspots. They need to start easing up in localities instead of province-wide.

It is all rather silly since there are lots of places that have had hardly any growth in new cases but they are still having to abide by the same regulations as all the hotspots. They need to start easing up in localities instead of province-wide.
They can't do that though cause as soon as you open one place with less restrictions people will flock to those places. Making it a good chance of spreading the virus.

I'm not sure if there's something similar to this for all the provinces but i stumbled across it for Ontario and I really like what it shows -- the 5 day rolling average which is more telling than the daily spikes (either up or down) Currently, it ain't as pretty as it was on May 8th when things started opening up.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/95VCA/19/

I'm not sure if there's something similar to this for all the provinces but i stumbled across it for Ontario and I really like what it shows -- the 5 day rolling average which is more telling than the daily spikes (either up or down) Currently, it ain't as pretty as it was on May 8th when things started opening up.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/95VCA/19/

I seen that coming once they started to reopen things. Far too many people think that with things opening that the virus is gone. Look at all the people that flocked Niagara Falls last weekend.

Yes I am angry and frustrated. I just want to go to my trailer some point this summer. Since it's in a conservation area it won't be opening soon. At this rate doubt its happening. :(.

The unfortunate part is, people are directly correlating the two. Province opened up and cases went up, ignoring the whole incubation period thing. I think it's more just a factor of coincidence, and those cases were going up whether we opened or not. That's due to the fact that it seems people are getting tired of the shelter in place, and were taking it upon themselves to open up more, whether it was allowed or not. My home office faces the street, and I've seen increased activity out there for a while now, more and more people out walking, mingling, etc... The last few trips to the grocery stores, there were more and more people on the roads, out and about, and whatnot, even before things opened up. I went by one house that had a sign outside about somebody's birthday, and there were probably 20 or so people all sitting around in lawn chairs in the open garage. So, so much for that whole 5 people max thing right?

So the uptick is probably more about us ignoring the rules and returning to interactions over the last several weeks, then it is about things being opened this week. Stuff being opened this week doesn't exactly help the situation, but it's not the one to blame for the current set of numbers going up.

The unfortunate part is, people are directly correlating the two. Province opened up and cases went up, ignoring the whole incubation period thing. I think it's more just a factor of coincidence, and those cases were going up whether we opened or not. That's due to the fact that it seems people are getting tired of the shelter in place, and were taking it upon themselves to open up more, whether it was allowed or not. My home office faces the street, and I've seen increased activity out there for a while now, more and more people out walking, mingling, etc... The last few trips to the grocery stores, there were more and more people on the roads, out and about, and whatnot, even before things opened up. I went by one house that had a sign outside about somebody's birthday, and there were probably 20 or so people all sitting around in lawn chairs in the open garage. So, so much for that whole 5 people max thing right?

So the uptick is probably more about us ignoring the rules and returning to interactions over the last several weeks, then it is about things being opened this week. Stuff being opened this week doesn't exactly help the situation, but it's not the one to blame for the current set of numbers going up.
Numbers will probably keep going up especially if they do start testing more. Its going to be awhile before we open more things. I hope people are ready for that.

In the end it’s the same thing .. people went back to business as usual without following the rules and our cases are going up.

Its really as simple as this ... the virus didn’t go away. It just needs a willing host. We are being willing hosts .. and it’s adding kindling to what was a dwindling fire.
I realize it’s generally regarded as gloom and doom to give that prediction but it’s so basic I don’t know how else to look at it ... we went inside , it slowed down . We come back out ...

In the end it’s the same thing .. people went back to business as usual without following the rules and our cases are going up.

Its really as simple as this ... the virus didn’t go away. It just needs a willing host. We are being willing hosts .. and it’s adding kindling to what was a dwindling fire.
I realize it’s generally regarded as gloom and doom to give that prediction but it’s so basic I don’t know how else to look at it ... we went inside , it slowed down . We come back out ...
Yep, I fully agree. The numbers went back up, because we came back out. That's the whole point, that it was because we came back out that the numbers went up, not because the province said it was ok to come back out. The province opening things up isn't helping, and in fact is probably going to make things worse, but it was on us ignoring the rules, not because the rules changed.

Yep, I fully agree. The numbers went back up, because we came back out. That's the whole point, that it was because we came back out that the numbers went up, not because the province said it was ok to come back out. The province opening things up isn't helping, and in fact is probably going to make things worse, but it was on us ignoring the rules, not because the rules changed.

Who knows what really changed. Since they have opened testing up to everyone with any symptom, maybe we are just seeing a more realistic representation of what is out there and not actually seeing numbers go up at all. Numbers might even be going down. That's the problem when you pick and choose your testing. Might be a better indicator to see what the numbers are like of people needing care at the hospital since testing would not have altered that. Ontario hospital admittances have been going down. We are down 23 today.

Testing numbers are way down but they were testing everyone in LTC and retirement homes before, so testing numbers are naturally going to change.

If you look at the statistics put out every day by Ontario, there are still a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the cases being LTC, retirement, hospital and the staff. You have to dig but you can also find that there are many cases in other institutions. You can also compare new cases in each region in Ontario from the day before to see where these new numbers are originating from. There are definitely hot spots where the gov't needs to focus more attention.

Last edited:
Who knows what really changed. Since they have opened testing up to everyone with any symptom, maybe we are just seeing a more realistic representation of what is out there and not actually seeing numbers go up at all. Numbers might even be going down. That's the problem when you pick and choose your testing. Might be a better indicator to see what the numbers are like of people needing care at the hospital since testing would not have altered that. Ontario hospital admittances have been going down. We are down 23 today.
And I know at least where I am we didn’t do anywhere near the testing we are supposed to be doing this week. So it could also be worse. It’s all so inconsistent its hard to say. But we don’t have herd immunity and it didn’t go away. This we know.

And I know at least where I am we didn’t do anywhere near the testing we are supposed to be doing this week. So it could also be worse. It’s all so inconsistent its hard to say. But we don’t have herd immunity and it didn’t go away. This we know.
They can have all the tests in the world but it's only useful if people get tested. A lot aren't getting tested.

NS the last few days cases (1-3) have been at LTC, but our overall testing in down around 200-500 on average per day, which is half of what they were consistently doing until the weather changed.

Now that they have expanded symptoms and you only need one instead of two symptoms to get a test, should be interesting. Allergies will great impact testing whether it be higher (people being cautious) or lower (people just thinking they have allergies).

I find it interesting that the numbers are going up and testing down. That tells us that we are slacking off as a population. I think the next two/three weeks are going to be dreadful in Ontario! We have become lax, and are paying the price. We need to wash our hands regularly, do the social distancing, and wear the masks, since as testing goes up the cases will naturally go up. I do like the rolling average for a clearer picture of what is going on. Sadly, the answer at the moment is going up! We knew we weren't going to eradicate the virus, but we need to remember that we don't want to overtax our health system again.

People supported the initial lock-down to 'flatten the curve'. Liberties were sacrificed to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed, and it worked. Months later, the rhetoric has changed to 'stop the spread' with suggestions by some the full lock down be reinstated, or at least pulled back. Many people are frustrated because they didn't sign up for this.
We are at the point where residual damage from the near-complete social and economic shutdowns is surpassing the effects of the virus. Yes, the more vulnerable need to be protected, but this virus is not going away anytime soon. If we reinstate the lock-down over the summer, come late September the media will pounce all over so-called 'spike in stats' and promote the 'second wave has begun'. We've flattened the curve. At some point it becomes incumbent on each individual to assess their personal risk. Go out, don't go out, wear a mask, continue to social distance and wash your hands. But a continued lock-down will see a greater segment of the population questioning the government, and opposition will mount.

People supported the initial lock-down to 'flatten the curve'. Liberties were sacrificed to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed, and it worked. Months later, the rhetoric has changed to 'stop the spread' with suggestions by some the full lock down be reinstated, or at least pulled back. Many people are frustrated because they didn't sign up for this.
We are at the point where residual damage from the near-complete social and economic shutdowns is surpassing the effects of the virus. Yes, the more vulnerable need to be protected, but this virus is not going away anytime soon. If we reinstate the lock-down over the summer, come late September the media will pounce all over so-called 'spike in stats' and promote the 'second wave has begun'. We've flattened the curve. At some point it becomes incumbent on each individual to assess their personal risk. Go out, don't go out, wear a mask, continue to social distance and wash your hands. But a continued lock-down will see a greater segment of the population questioning the government, and opposition will mount.
We are opening things but doing it very slowly. No one is saying to keep everything shutdown. We also can't rush to open everything either. With the numbers not going down we may be stuck in this phase for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!