Provincial plans for loosening restrictions

My take is that I always thought the goal was to flatten the curve. This thing is not going to disappear and I don't think the goal was to get our numbers to zero in two months.. The curve is quite flat. The hospital admissions are down and there is lots of room in our ICUS. For example in the past week at Trillium hospitals in Toronto (there are three in the group) the numbers went from 116 to 88. In Ontario, we had an increase of 10 active cases yesterday. The number of recoveries was up 400 and new cases were 410, so the number of recoveries was almost as many as the number of new cases. I think we can afford to loosen the restrictions somewhat. I'm not saying to open more stores but perhaps increase our bubbles.

My take is that I always thought the goal was to flatten the curve. This thing is not going to disappear and I don't think the goal was to get our numbers to zero in two months.. The curve is quite flat. The hospital admissions are down and there is lots of room in our ICUS. For example in the past week at Trillium hospitals in Toronto (there are three in the group) the numbers went from 116 to 88. In Ontario, we had an increase of 10 active cases yesterday. The number of recoveries was up 400 and new cases were 410, so the number of recoveries was almost as many as the number of new cases. I think we can afford to loosen the restrictions somewhat. I'm not saying to open more stores but perhaps increase our bubbles.
We have done a good job of flattening the curve, but I think that with the low testing this week, we don't really have a clear sense of what is (or is not) going on with respect to the numbers. I agree about the bubble. We should be double bubble, and/or gatherings of 10 or less with social distancing. I'm pretty sure that everyone would choose a second bubble wisely.

We are opening things but doing it very slowly. No one is saying to keep everything shutdown. We also can't rush to open everything either. With the numbers not going down we may be stuck in this phase for awhile.
Actually, recent articles are suggesting Ontario moved too fast, Quebec even more so. They're now re-evaluating phase 1. Absolutely there is a push to pull back. My hope is it won't happen. Unfortunately, the 'numbers' being touted are up for interpretation, but you won't get that perspective in the main stream media...... I'm borderline politics now, so I will end my part in this discussion. Here's hoping we can all get to the Parks soon!

To be honest before this I was never the biggest Doug Ford booster (really at all)... but I think he's handled it exceptionally well. Not super over-reactive and not defensive (which is the biggest thing down south that worries me.)

The covid-19 virus is a science/health problem --- Doug Ford seems to be listening to these science/health voices -- which makes me appreciate that --- but also seems to balance that with a reasonable response to opening things up.

My take is we get out of this when the science can show it's not circulating in the overall population --- in a large scale. (LTC's have been massively hit are tragic and everyone of those people should have had more time with kids/grandkids/great grandkids/ family/ friends, etc... I hope this changes things going forward for the LTC's --- where they realize these facilities are are important, their residents are loved family members who need to be adequately staffed and where a virus/bacterial infection needs to be addressed immediately, their workers are vital and caring people who do amazing work. We are a society because we realize that Family/friends/workers/others are all important to us. Hopefully we'll take this forward.)

The one thing that drives me crazy is that people keep talking about comparing to a seasonal flu --- which always covers multiple strains. So numbers would be more helpful to compare Covid-19 to each variant of seasonal flu that costs peoples lives. The numbers for Covid-19 represent one variant of a "flu" ... Seasonal flu vacinnations covers multiple strains/variants ... Covid-19 is still one virus.... 1 flu death for 1 covid-19 death is not a true abstraction.... death numbers for flu each year vary by the type of flu which NEVER gets reported to most of us -- the numbers we're seeing right now talk about 1 variant for covid-19 --- but deaths for a normal "flu" may include many variants.... Sadly I think this distinction gets missed when some politicians talk "flu" vs. covid 19 --- it's ignorant at best and most likely disingenuous. Covid-19 is more transmissible than some "flus" which makes it more scary.

Actually, recent articles are suggesting Ontario moved too fast, Quebec even more so. They're now re-evaluating phase 1. Absolutely there is a push to pull back. My hope is it won't happen. Unfortunately, the 'numbers' being touted are up for interpretation, but you won't get that perspective in the main stream media...... I'm borderline politics now, so I will end my part in this discussion. Here's hoping we can all get to the Parks soon!
The numbers have been going up but the scary part is there is less testing going on.

It's possible that this week's numbers are a result of Mother's Day gatherings. And now that we have nicer weather, people will let their guard down. It is concerning that numbers are up with less tests.
For me personally the city I live in has had the majority of our cases from community spread. Where as the other cities in the area where I live the majority of cases have in long term care homes.

My concern is how many people seem to just not care anymore about social distancing. Everyone wants to get back to normal but many don't want to do the work to get there.

I just saw the pictures of the parks in Toronto. I have to walk back this sentence. We're gonna be on lockdown for months!
View attachment 496644
Our numbers keep going up is not good and seeing things like that angers me. I'm mentally and physically exhausted having had to work through this and dealing with the public every day and seeing so many not care pisses me off.

It is interesting to see exactly where the numbers are going up. It is only in a few places... Toronto, Peel, York and Windsor seem to be the culprits.

You can check individual counties here ... https://howsmyflattening.ca/#/dashboard
The problem still is if they allow cottage country and other cities not as affected to open everything those people that are in the affected areas would probably head there. That brings the possibility of spreading it to those places.

The problem still is if they allow cottage country and other cities not as affected to open everything those people that are in the affected areas would probably head there. That brings the possibility of spreading it to those places.

That may be the case. My thought was was more that since the problem seems to be in a few certain areas, it should be easier to focus more attention to those areas with increased testing, contact tracing and education to curb the spread.

That may be the case. My thought was was more that since the problem seems to be in a few certain areas, it should be easier to focus more attention to those areas with increased testing, contact tracing and education to curb the spread.
I think they are trying but the issue seems to be now is the lack of people wanting to be tested. What also isn't happening is the amount of people like you saw yesterday at that park in Toronto just don't care.

Basically the GTA is ruining things for the rest of the province. They need to get their act together.
I don't think it's so much that. Its also the majority of Ontario's population live there. Just get used to the fact things aren't likely to move to the next phase for at least 2 weeks. Cases need to be on a downward trend for 5 consecutive days. Ever since Mother's Day numbers are climbing.

I don't think it's so much that. Its also the majority of Ontario's population live there. Just get used to the fact things aren't likely to move to the next phase for at least 2 weeks. Cases need to be on a downward trend for 5 consecutive days. Ever since Mother's Day numbers are climbing.

It’s not because they have the most population. The number of cases in the GTA has been climbing in the GTA. Other places in Ontario the average cases have either been the same or dropping.

Yes it makes sense the GTA has more total cases. But the fact the GTA has gone up, while everywhere else pretty much has gone down or stayed or the same shows a huge difference in attitudes and behaviour. And the rest of Ontario who has been doing their job while have to pay for it.

Many cottage country small towns in Ontario have been overrun with Toronto and Ottawa seasonal cottagers since this began in March. Some seasonal cottagers have tried to be responsible and kept to their property, brought their own food, stocked up on more groceries when they went back to the city to check their main home, etc. Some have certainly not been responsible or gracious. The local grocery stores and LCBO are perpetually understocked. My parents have been surrounded by seasonal residents since March. Their immediate next door neighbours have tried to be very responsible. Thank heavens Ontario has not yet allowed cottages opened for weekly rental. That would explode a bad, crowded situation into infinity.

I'm still stunned that schools are reopening here in BC on June 1. It's completely voluntary and we will not be sending our girls to school, but I understand it's not voluntary for teachers and I really feel for them :( The province has put them in a terrible position.

And don't even get me started on what education will look like for those last 4 weeks with a combination of in class and online learning. And the premier and education minister thinks a September return will look 'normal' :sad2: I doubt that every much. Normal doesn't exist at the moment and won't for many months/years to come.

I totally agree... I don't know any parent right now who will be sending their kids back to school in June. I think we may still see some changes with "normal back to school in September".

I just saw the pictures of the parks in Toronto. I have to walk back this sentence. We're gonna be on lockdown for months!
I'm from Toronto, and that image made me very angry. Obviously it was a snafu to open up the parks without monitoring. If it wasn't for the fact that they risk infecting other people who are being careful, I'd say "Let Darwin do its work!" So upsetting to see this.

The problem is the dense population on the cities. I don’t blame people for wanting to be outside. Cities and Cottage country need to work together to increase Space and access so people can get outside. Parks and beaches needed to regulated not closed and reducing space from people.

I so worry about the mental issues that this is going to cause in years to come, and forcing people inside is not going to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!