PS-No show or cancel?

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
Suppose you make a PS for a meal that you have every intention of attending and then when the time comes you either can't get there or don't want to get there.

Do you:

1)Find a phone or a CM somewhere and cancel

Or

2)Just don't show up

I'm talking about your PS is right now or within the next 1/2 hour or so and you've decided not to go.

It would be best to cancel, so that someone else who may be trying to find a table at that meal would get to use the seating.

We no showed for one last trip. I suppose it would have been nicer to call but we were in a showing of Millionaire at the time and just knew we would not make it out of the park and over to Epcot in time. Maybe my view on this is off but my understanding of the way Disney does PS's is it's not like they are actually 'holding' your table waiting for you but will give you the next available table. If I felt my PS would prevent others from getting into a popular place, I would definitely cancel.

We called and cancelled. I do know Disney's way of doing PS's and it probably didn't matter if we called. Who knows? They probably have a list for those who haven't shown up for 3 or more PS'S! LOL!

I try to cancel, since I carry a cell phone, but if you don't get to, don't beat yourself up over it. The PS system is designed to deal with no-shows.

Given the number of times I have shown up on time for my PS and had to wait 45-60 minutes.... Disney doesn't take ps too seriously themselves.

Well, I was just on the phone with Disney Dining making a PS for the ice cream social and I asked her this question. She said of course they'd prefer if you cancelled but depending on your circumstances they understand if you don't. No penalties as long as it's not one with a credit card guarantee. So, we'll try to make all our PSs(we always do) but if we opt out of one we'll try to cancel ahead of time......if it's a last minute thing I guess we'll just no show, we haven't ever done that, I just wondered about it.

I've called and cancelled too since I figured that there might be others trying to call at the last minute to get in somewhere and are told no p.s.'s are available and so I shouldn't "hold" a spot. I realize that they don't really "hold" a table but they judge what they can give out on the bookings they have. Funny thing though. The last trip that I called to cancel the CM acted like I was nuts for calling. She said, "You don't have to cancel, there isn't a penalty." I explained why I thought I would and she said, "That's very nice of you but in the future you don't have to call." :confused:

There's no "penalty" but I was asked by the IPO to please call and cancel a PS if I was not going to use it even on the day of the PS so I always try to do that. I figure if it was important enough for her to mention it to me then there must be a reason.::yes::

They do keep a record of every PS you have ever made and whether or not you honored it, cancelled it, or didn't show up. We saw my grandfather's list at Plaza Restaurant one night and we asked why the kept the whole list...she said that if someone tried to make a PS and they looked and the person had missed a lot without calling that they were not likely to give them a time that was busy, since they have a limited number of PS, and it would keep it away from someone who would use it during the busy time.

Originally posted by WDWAurora
They do keep a record of every PS you have ever made and whether or not you honored it, cancelled it, or didn't show up. We saw my grandfather's list at Plaza Restaurant one night and we asked why the kept the whole list...she said that if someone tried to make a PS and they looked and the person had missed a lot without calling that they were not likely to give them a time that was busy, since they have a limited number of PS, and it would keep it away from someone who would use it during the busy time.

Wow, just wondering, was the list from every visit he ever made to disney or just the current trip you were taking. We just got back from our april trip and I think we had about 8 ps and we only missed 1.

Honestly, I have a hard time believing this. When I called just today for a PS, they looked up the date and time and said yes it was available before they even asked my name. What would they have done then if I was on the blacklist....told me never mind it wasn't available? Besides that, the record keeping would be enormous.

All I know is that I saw that list, and I've made them before without them asking for my name as well, so I don't know about that. I saw my grandfather's name running down the left side of the screen all the way down, then there was a column with restaurant names, then there was a column with dates, then times, then if we came. There was one for number in party as well, but I don't remember where it was in the layout. If you have a hard time believing it, that's fine. I know what we saw and were told, and that's all that matters!

All I know is that I saw that list, and I've made them before without them asking for my name as well, so I don't know about that. I saw my grandfather's name running down the left side of the screen all the way down, then there was a column with restaurant names, then there was a column with dates, then times, then if we came. There was one for number in party as well, but I don't remember where it was in the layout. If you have a hard time believing it, that's fine. I know what we saw and were told, and that's all that matters!

I certainly believe you!! Sounds possible to me. The part though that could possibly not be totally true is what the CM told you. Of course, it's possible, but we all know every CM gives a different story when asked the same question.;)

I called last week to get my MNSSHP and LTT PS and the CM told me how many times I've been to Disney and my address and our names!!! I was pretty surprised!

I try to always call and cancel, especially if I know I have a popular location or time. Last trip I missed a PS, though. I've been told more than once by CM's that calling to cancel is unnecessary. If you're calling the DINE line, you're just tying up the phone and probably making someone hold longer. That's worthwhile if you're cancelling tomorrow's PS or one later in the day, but I question how productive that is if you're within half an hour of your PS. I've done that, but in retrospect it doesn't seem worthwhile to tie up a CM for it.

Although I have a pretty sterling PS history, they'd be hard pressed to pull up my full history. I've used at least 5 different phone numbers in the last 3 years and booked in different family member's names, because the kids like to hear their names being called.

It wouldn't be that much data to keep - and while they wouldn't know your name for the first PS you make for a trip, my guess is that most guests make several PSs in a single phone call....

But their data collection at Disney Dining for PSs is lousy. I've said this before, but last trip we couldn't ever get a print out of our PSs, because we couldn't find them. Evenutally we determined that our last name had been misspelled. It has seven letters. They got three of them right, but added two more for extra measure! They couldn't search up by home phone number or any other key I'd think would be useful. And they don't link to your room reservations.

I would and cancel. Also you don't have to do it by phone. You can do it at guest services at any park or at the podium at any WDW restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter