PSA: Renting a car? Get gas at Costco!

BigTex71

DIS Dad #536...... Fort Worth, Texas
We rented a car and found the gas at Costco was easily the cheapest on the island. On Maui, the cheapest gas we found before going to Costco was $3.81/gallon. Costco was $3.15/gallon.

*NOTE - A Costco Membership card is required to fill up at Costco

Last edited:
Second that. Plus, it's on the way to the airport from Aulani and we've never had to wait for a pump. Just make sure it's open on the particular day you plan to head out. We got bit by that once...

Just adding a warning that Costco gas requires a Costco membership. We don't have Costco where I live in NY, so it wasn't cost efficient for us to purchase a membership just for our trip.

Just adding a warning that Costco gas requires a Costco membership. We don't have Costco where I live in NY, so it wasn't cost efficient for us to purchase a membership just for our trip.

Membership is only $60 and also provides access to deeply discounted food (assuming one has a kitchen in their room and can make use of it), snorkel items that cost the same or less as renting, beach gear, car rentals, and discounted tourist activities in addition to gasoline. Costco also provides Aulani packages for those who don't have the option of using points:

https://www.costcotravel.com/Vacation-Packages/Hawaii/Oahu/Offers/HAWOAHAULANI20190101

A quick aside for @nkereina
You can use your American Costco membership in Canada and vice versa. There is a Costco fairly close to you in St Catherines, Ontario, about a half hour drive not including the border. With the way the US dollar compares to our Canadian one it might be worthwhile to get one if you were ever planning to head over to Canada. Just a thought if you were ever thinking about going back to Hawaii and needed to justify the price of a Costco membership LOL

Membership is only $60 and also provides access to deeply discounted food (assuming one has a kitchen in their room and can make use of it), snorkel items that cost the same or less as renting, beach gear, car rentals, and discounted tourist activities in addition to gasoline. Costco also provides Aulani packages for those who don't have the option of using points:

https://www.costcotravel.com/Vacation-Packages/Hawaii/Oahu/Offers/HAWOAHAULANI20190101
Yes, I'm aware, but thank you for mentioning. It's just DH and I so we don't know the bulk items and the prepared foods aren't worth the cost of membership for us since we won't use it at home. We just got our groceries and snorkel stuff at Target, which was more than sufficient for us. No doubt Costco has its benefits, but it doesn't work for our dynamic.

A quick aside for @nkereina
You can use your American Costco membership in Canada and vice versa. There is a Costco fairly close to you in St Catherines, Ontario, about a half hour drive not including the border. With the way the US dollar compares to our Canadian one it might be worthwhile to get one if you were ever planning to head over to Canada. Just a thought if you were ever thinking about going back to Hawaii and needed to justify the price of a Costco membership LOL
LOL yes I've been by that one before! There is also one about an hour from us in Rochester, which is probably easier without the border hassle and exchange fees. It's just DH and I, no kids, so we don't have a need for it. We've had a BJ's membership in the past and never used it unfortunately. Thanks for mentioning though!

Thanks for the reminder. I added a note to the original post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!