PTR: Ka-Chow, It’s a Spring Break Road Trip

It is...but it is hard to put things together when you really are not sure of attractions...and man there is just not a lot of fun food choices!

There are a lot of fun food choices! Disneyland totally has WDW beat when it comes to Counter Service! What are you looking for?

There are a lot of fun food choices! Disneyland totally has WDW beat when it comes to Counter Service! What are you looking for?
Our first trip to DL in March but I find much more that appeals to me at DL/DCA than MK. We do love Epcot & Food & Wine but I feel like it's all burgers, hot dogs & fries at MK

Our first trip to DL in March but I find much more that appeals to me at DL/DCA than MK. We do love Epcot & Food & Wine but I feel like it's all burgers, hot dogs & fries at MK

Well apparently I must be looking in all the wrong places. I guess at WDW we tend to go with more table service and less counter...seems opposite at DL!

You know me Melissa, I like fun unique things!

I need to start knocking out some plans…

Day 1 (Friday evening)
Departure Day:

Looking at the map and plotting our course, the trek to Disneyland should take around 15 hours, so we are going to split it into a 2 1/2 day drive so we can get our kicks on Route 66 and seek out the inspirations for Cars!

Our plan is to head out on Historic Route 66 just as soon as we are done with school and Mr. Grumpy can make payroll and close his crews down on Friday. I hope to have the car loaded the night before. Historic Route 66 is literally a few blocks from our house...

1.JPG 2.jpg

we will cross it and head to the Interstate that killed Route 66. We won't be in the car for very long because right outside of the city limits is our first stop that inspired Cars...

3.jpg

What is sad is I don’t think we have ever taken the boys to the Cadillac Ranch. It is kind of a joke in our city and recently was moved farther out of town because of the expanding city. It will be fun though! We will continue to head down I-40 till we come to the town of Adrian, home to the Ugly pie and the inspiration for Flo and the Ugly Pie.

4.jpg

Sadly the Midpoint Café is closed for the season, or we would be stopping for dinner instead of a photo opp. Maybe the Ugly Pie will pop up in the Trip Report! Another photo opp will happen just before we cross the state line into New Mexico at Glenrio…

5.jpg

One of the closed businesses seen in Radiator Springs bears the name “Glenrio.” is nearly identical to the long-closed Little Juarez restaurant in Glenrio. Our final desitnation for the evening is Tucumcari, NM… which is full of neon and Route 66 charm. If the weather permits, the classic cars should be cruising the Route through town as they do most weekends. For the ending we are staying at the motel that was the inspiration for the Cozy Cone Motel Office….

6.jpg

7.jpg

the Blue Swallow Motel. Driving time tonight is around 2 1/2 hours and we need to check in by 9 pm (MST).

Last edited:

Day 2
Saturday (Part 1):

Saturday morning I would love to get on the road early (maybe not too early so we can catch a glimpse of the inspiration for the mountain shaped like a radiator cap that overlooks Radiator Springs…Tucumcari Mountain)

1.jpg

and make it to Albuquerque for breakfast at one of our favorite places…

2.jpg

Mr. Grumpy grew up in Albuquerque and the Frontier is owned by family friends. I already know what we will probably be having…

3.jpg 5.jpg

4.jpg

New Mexico style green chile stew, warm fresh tortillas and of course the famous Frontier giant cinnamon roll. With full tummies, the next stop will be a short one about 2 ½ hours down the road near the New Mexico-Arizona border. Here we find several inspirations for Cars…

6 Lupton.jpg 7.jpg

8.jpg

The Cliffs behind Chief Yellow Horse & the Tepee Trading Post are of course backdrops in the movie and Fillmore’s Dome can be found a little farther down the road In Lupton at the Ortega’s Indian Market. In Holbrook, we will get out and take a look at

9 2.jpg 9 1.jpg

the artist inspired the character of Fillmore and of course there is the second half of Sally’s Cozy Cone Motel.

Last edited:
So food recommendations:

The Hotels
Napa Rose - Yes, this is a fancy meal. It is so good! I find it to be a step above California Grill/Narcoossees/Citricos.
Steakhouse 55 - We love it here as well!
Storytellers Cafe - I like how you can pick between a buffet or menu if you go there for breakfast or dinner. If you go there right when lunch starts (menu only) the breakfast characters might still be roaming!

Downtown Disney (all table service):
As I know you love Via Napoli, they have a restaurant in Disneyland as well!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/naples-ristorante-e-pizzeria/

We also have enjoyed Ralph's Jazz Kitchen:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/ralph-brennans-jazz-kitchen/

We love Tortilla Jo's but I'm guessing the Mexican there won't live up to what you get in New Mexico or at home. Kinda why we don't go to Bongo's as we have some great Cuban places around here.

California Adventure (Table Service)
We've done Carthay Circle twice. The first time was awesome. The second time the service was bad but I still liked my food.

California Adventure (Counter Service)
In the Pacific Wharf area, there are 4 places within one main area so there is no way anyone can't find something they want which I know can be a problem with larger groups.
The Pacific Wharf Cafe has awesome soups and sandwiches made in yummy fresh sourdough bread!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/pacific-wharf-cafe/
Lucky Fortune Cookery: Asian Food
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/lucky-fortune-cookery/
Cocina Cucamonga: Mexican
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/cocina-cucamonga-mexican-grill/
Ghirardelli as well sometimes you just want ice cream for lunch!

And for your Cars loving theme...you have to get a snack at Cozy Cone Motel!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/cozy-cone-motel/

Disneyland (Table Service)
Cafe Orleans! This is one of the Disneyland Originals and has such great soup, desserts and the famous Monte Cristo (which you should split with someone as you can never finish it).
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/cafe-orleans/

River Belle Terrace: Betsy, Shaun & I ate here and loved it our past trip!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/river-belle-terrace/

Disneyland (Counter Service):
Bengal Barbecue: Meat on Sticks!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/bengal-barbecue/

Mint Julep Bar: (No alcohol but Mickey Beignets!)
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/mint-julep-bar/

Rancho Del Zocalo: More Mexican!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/rancho-del-zocalo-restaurante/

Melissa....you know me so well!

So food recommendations:

Downtown Disney (all table service):
As I know you love Via Napoli, they have a restaurant in Disneyland as well!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney-district/naples-ristorante-e-pizzeria/

This is totally awesome to know!!!!

California Adventure (Table Service)
We've done Carthay Circle twice. The first time was awesome. The second time the service was bad but I still liked my food.

I just booked for the World of Color Lunch dining package!

Ghirardelli as well sometimes you just want ice cream for lunch!

Or for breakfast...Had the Ocean Beach on the list!

And for your Cars loving theme...you have to get a snack at Cozy Cone Motel!
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disney-california-adventure/cozy-cone-motel/

On the list for lunch the first day!

Disneyland (Table Service)
Cafe Orleans! This is one of the Disneyland Originals and has such great soup, desserts and the famous Monte Cristo (which you should split with someone as you can never finish it).
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/cafe-orleans/

Debating booking this...I am all over a Monte Cristo but not sure about the rest of the family. Consider leaving it for my Coast to Coast in a few years.

Mint Julep Bar: (No alcohol but Mickey Beignets!)
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/mint-julep-bar/

Totally on my list already! I was so disappointed at POFQ that the beignets were not Mickey shaped!

Day 2/Part 2
Saturday

I can’t wait for the photo opp at Jackrabbit...

10.jpg

the sign inspired the one in the movie as well as the one at Carsland! For our next stop, we will certainly put on a little Eagle’s music so we can react the song Take it Easy…

11 (2).jpg

by standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona. From here we may or make not take a side detour to

12 (2).jpg

the Barrington Meteor Crater. Both Mr. Grumpy and I remember stopping here as children. It is expensive these days so I am not sure if we will make the trek, after all we have Micky Bars and Churros to buy! We should arrive in Flagstaff around dinner time and thanks to my pal

13.jpg

I already know where we are going to stop and of course I will have what he is having…

14.jpg

Stuffed Sopa Christmas Style! Yes, there will be as much “New Mexico” style Mexican food on this trip as possible…. we love our green chile over Tex-Mex any day. After dinner, it is a 30-minute drive to Williams for our overnight stay…

15.jpg

I know I should have booked another classic Route 66 Motel, but pool and free breakfast won out. Total driving time for day is about 7 hours.

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are really planning to hit up a lot of Cars inspiration on this trip! I never realized how much of Cars is inspired by real places that you can visit along Route 66 - that's so cool!

Love all of the Cars inspirations!

Wow, you guys are really planning to hit up a lot of Cars inspiration on this trip! I never realized how much of Cars is inspired by real places that you can visit along Route 66 - that's so cool!

Love all the Cars inspiration along the way!!

It has been fun finding all this...there are a lot of places to the east of us within a couple of hours that I would like to check out!

The real test of this trip will be if I can keep Mr. Grumpy away from searching for real life classic cars and on schedule.

Last edited:
Day 3

I had planned to do a little more fun side trips, but I discovered that Remember (Fireworks at DL) only happens on the weekends while we are there. For those that follow my TRs, fireworks behind the castle are a HUGE thing for me and I simply cannot miss them on this trip.

The total driving time for today without stops is going to be about 7 hours. I would like to leave Williams by around 7 am, after having breakfast that the hotel provides. The first thing we are going to for today is the inspiration to the Rusteze Signs in a Row, the Burma Save Signs between Ash Fork and Kingman AZ.

1 (2).jpg

We will then travel part of the original road when we veer off of I-40 at Kingman to take Route 66 though Oatman which is the closest thing to Radiator Springs there is including wild burros that roam the town like the tractors in Cars.

2.jpg

I plan on having a picnic lunch here so we can enjoy taking in “Radiator Springs.” In Needles we will keep a look out for the old canopy above a gas station, part of the inspiration behind Flos Dinner

3.jpg

Before making our way to Barstow searching for the huts that inspired Sarge...

4.jpg

The rest of the drive will be pretty much straight through the desert to Los Angeles/Anaheim. I am hoping to arrive at the Tropicana around 4 so we can settle in and head over Disneyland for an early dinner at Cafe Orleans...

5.jpg

I am already dreaming of the pomme frites, the Monte Cristo and of course Mickey Beignets.

6.jpg

We will spend the evening exploring Main Street and around 7:30 start camping out a spot for the Main Street Electrical Parade at 8:30 and of course remember at 9:25 pm!

7.jpg

Then it will be a short walk back to the Tropicana and bed because as always this is a No Snooze Bar Trip!

Can I vent about Disney and whoever plans for them....

As anyone on the DIS knows that the key to a great Disney trip is planning! Disney has become a vacation where you have to plan months in advance, but yet Disney CANNOT get their hiney's in gear with dates and details!!!! :headache::headache::headache: Instead we have vague announcements.
For instance,

DCA Food & Wine starts in 25 days...but there are NO annoucements as to the Food & Wine offerings at the booths. Seriously, I know this is much smaller than Epcot Food & Wine so you would think planning would be a lot less and easier to get menus out! In the last week they announced the Chef demonstrations, which sadly I am going to miss Duff Goldman! Sigh

and

Beauty & the Beast Dining and Snacks for DL was announced this week with the opening of the movie in just about a month but NO DATES as to when these items will become available. GRRRR

Rant over...but you know how I get with Disney Food!

Love the plans. I get what you're saying about planning and some things not being released. That's Disneyland though they don't plan ahead due to the high amount of locals that go to that park.

Day 2
Saturday (Part 1):

Saturday morning I would love to get on the road early (maybe not too early so we can catch a glimpse of the inspiration for the mountain shaped like a radiator cap that overlooks Radiator Springs…Tucumcari Mountain)

View attachment 219689

and make it to Albuquerque for breakfast at one of our favorite places…

View attachment 219690

Mr. Grumpy grew up in Albuquerque and the Frontier is owned by family friends. I already know what we will probably be having…

View attachment 219691 View attachment 219698

View attachment 219692

New Mexico style green chile stew, warm fresh tortillas and of course the famous Frontier giant cinnamon roll. With full tummies, the next stop will be a short one about 2 ½ hours down the road near the New Mexico-Arizona border. Here we find several inspirations for Cars…

View attachment 219694 View attachment 219695

View attachment 219697

The Cliffs behind Chief Yellow Horse & the Tepee Trading Post are of course backdrops in the movie and Fillmore’s Dome can be found a little farther down the road In Lupton at the Ortega’s Indian Market. In Holbrook, we will get out and take a look at

View attachment 219696 View attachment 219699

the artist inspired the character of Fillmore and of course there is the second half of Sally’s Cozy Cone Motel.

Your road trip out to Disneyland sounds like fun! I love the food in New Mexico. That green chile stew looks fabulous!

Can I vent about Disney and whoever plans for them....

As anyone on the DIS knows that the key to a great Disney trip is planning! Disney has become a vacation where you have to plan months in advance, but yet Disney CANNOT get their hiney's in gear with dates and details!!!! :headache::headache::headache: Instead we have vague announcements.
For instance,

DCA Food & Wine starts in 25 days...but there are NO annoucements as to the Food & Wine offerings at the booths. Seriously, I know this is much smaller than Epcot Food & Wine so you would think planning would be a lot less and easier to get menus out! In the last week they announced the Chef demonstrations, which sadly I am going to miss Duff Goldman! Sigh

and

Beauty & the Beast Dining and Snacks for DL was announced this week with the opening of the movie in just about a month but NO DATES as to when these items will become available. GRRRR

Rant over...but you know how I get with Disney Food!
I am on the same page. Waiting for hours to be released, info for F&W, etc. I am all into planning but nothing to plan with :snail:

Love the plans. I get what you're saying about planning and some things not being released. That's Disneyland though they don't plan ahead due to the high amount of locals that go to that park.

But less than 30 days out of a major event, plus make an announcement about an upcoming event about to happen...grrrr

Your road trip out to Disneyland sounds like fun! I love the food in New Mexico. That green chile stew looks fabulous!

We love our green chile...although I prefer Colorado style with pork instead of ground beef.

I am on the same page. Waiting for hours to be released, info for F&W, etc. I am all into planning but nothing to plan with :snail:

It's just crazy that they just released the celebrity chefs this week and still dont have menus...

Following along! I want to take this road trip with you!!! Tebow hasn't yet learned to love Cars, but I'm sure he will get there.

Following along! I want to take this road trip with you!!! Tebow hasn't yet learned to love Cars, but I'm sure he will get there.

Come on Brandy...you can pick up a couple of stops along the way before you get to me.

The real Sally, the real life Mater, the leaning tire, and Ramone's body shop inspirations are all between you and me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!