PTR: Ka-Chow, It’s a Spring Break Road Trip

It is so fun reading your PTR! I'm planning something similar for my honeymoon. I thought about writing a PTR of my own, but well, wedding planning is time consuming. I might still do a report after. Here's a quick overview of my plans:

2/27: Wedding! (10 days to go!)
2/28: Fly into ABQ and stay at the Downtown Historic Bed & Breakfast.
3/1: Drive to Holbrook and stay at the Wigwam Motel. (This was a nonnegotiable for me, lol. Also very excited about the Rainbow Rock Shop, as we love dinosaurs!)
3/2: Drive to Kingsman, and stay at the El Trovatore Motel.
3/3: Drive to Ontario, CA, and stay at the Azure Hotel. (Least exciting hotel, but it does have a jacuzzi in the room.)
3/4-3/8: Disneyland, staying at the Disneyland Hotel!
3/9: Fly back to Tampa. Stay at the Hyatt where our car will be parked.
3/10: Drive home :(

We do have some stops along Route 66 earmarked, but we also just want to see what we find that surprises us!

I've never been farther west than San Antonio, so I'm very excited about it! :)

It is so fun reading your PTR! I'm planning something similar for my honeymoon. I thought about writing a PTR of my own, but well, wedding planning is time consuming. I might still do a report after. Here's a quick overview of my plans:

2/27: Wedding! (10 days to go!)
2/28: Fly into ABQ and stay at the Downtown Historic Bed & Breakfast.
3/1: Drive to Holbrook and stay at the Wigwam Motel. (This was a nonnegotiable for me, lol. Also very excited about the Rainbow Rock Shop, as we love dinosaurs!)
3/2: Drive to Kingsman, and stay at the El Trovatore Motel.
3/3: Drive to Ontario, CA, and stay at the Azure Hotel. (Least exciting hotel, but it does have a jacuzzi in the room.)
3/4-3/8: Disneyland, staying at the Disneyland Hotel!
3/9: Fly back to Tampa. Stay at the Hyatt where our car will be parked.
3/10: Drive home :(

We do have some stops along Route 66 earmarked, but we also just want to see what we find that surprises us!

I've never been farther west than San Antonio, so I'm very excited about it! :)

Welcome & Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

There seems to be lots of odd little dinosaur stops. If you get into ABQ early enough be sure to check out old town and near there is a great museum with dinosaur stuff. And you must eat green chiles in some form! Your breaking up your drive a lot more than we are lol...of course I have tween and teen in the car and your on a honeymoon. It is a pretty grey and desolate drive once you pass Flagstaff. We drove to Sacramento last spring break so the road at least to Barstow it was.

There is lots to see though...using roadattractions.com Sure you are too. If you have found anything interesting, please share! I think we are going to head back via Las Vegas and take the boys to the Hoover Dam.

Thank you! I think we have a few hours to do something in Albuquerque, so we definitely might check out the museum!

Green chiles?! I had no idea that was a big thing! We both love Chuy's and their green chile festival, so it would be awesome to try the real thing!

I'll definitely be sure to share anything neat we find :)

Greene Chiles are a HUGE thing in New Mexico! Green Chile capital of the the world...Hatch, New Mexico.

If I can't get a big bowl of pork green chile, the best way is a green chile cheeseburger! A famous local chain is Blakes LotaBurger...but beware I swear they only use the HOTTEST green chiles they can find. In Albuquerque the best place is probably the Owl Cafe.

The last day of your road trip sounds great - hanging out in the inspiration for Radiator Springs will be a great way to get you excited for the DCA Radiator Springs!

I totally understand your frustration with the lack of planning information. Even though Disneyland generally requires less planning than WDW, I do not understand why it is they can't release information on events that are starting really soon. I get that it's a locals park, but ... even locals need a little bit of time to plan sometimes. Not everyone can run over after work and just assume what they need will be there ... especially with F&W, you need to know if there's enough food at the booths to eat for meals or if you have to eat a separate meal and then just snack at the booths. Ugh. It's so frustrating.

Day 4 Monday/Part 1: DCA

Our first official full day will be spent at…

1.jpg

I am trying hard to make this a relaxed vacation and not be rushing to get everything in, because I know there will be future trips to California. However, I have our “wish list” of attractions plugged into touringplans and the first stop is…

2.jpg

I might mention that I liked Soarin, but after seeing Soarin Around the World in November, I LOVE SOARIN. I am a little confused, because I thought that DCA was keeping the original California show but am excited to share the new version with the boys. Then from here it is off to…

3.jpg

After that we will take in the rest that DCA has to offer until mid afternoon. I am excited for…

4.jpg

Let’s hope we get #monsterchild on it without a scene. He is so thankful that Tower of Terror is being rethemed and he doesn’t have to go anywhere near the attraction. Meals today will be basically snacking throughout the day. I know we must eat at the Cozy Cone…

5.jpg

Any my DH is a huge corndog fan so we must stop at…

6.jpg

Plus…

7.jpg

there is DCA Food & Wine Booths that we will certainly be checking out and sampling from should Disney ever get menus posted. I am super excited about this because last year the Festival was only on the weekends and started in April. This year it is every day and is happening while we are there in March. I have a break scheduled for midafternoon to check out…

8.jpg

or send the boys back to the pool for a little rest time.

Last edited:
The last day of your road trip sounds great - hanging out in the inspiration for Radiator Springs will be a great way to get you excited for the DCA Radiator Springs!

I totally understand your frustration with the lack of planning information. Even though Disneyland generally requires less planning than WDW, I do not understand why it is they can't release information on events that are starting really soon. I get that it's a locals park, but ... even locals need a little bit of time to plan sometimes. Not everyone can run over after work and just assume what they need will be there ... especially with F&W, you need to know if there's enough food at the booths to eat for meals or if you have to eat a separate meal and then just snack at the booths. Ugh. It's so frustrating.

And you know me...DISNEY FOOD IS A HUGE FOCAL POINT FOR ME!!!! Although I have to report that I down almost pounds since Food & Wine in November!

Looks good!

I think because the new film was new they put it at all soarin locations for the new factor. I think eventually they'll return the Californian film back to at least one of the theaters there.

The one of biggest reasons I want to go to DLR is carsland. It just looks awesome!

I hope they get this early menus out for you soon.

The one of biggest reasons I want to go to DLR is carsland. It just looks awesome!

I hope they get this early menus out for you soon.

I am quite curious to see how my family handles me and my love for Food & Wine Booths. This will be a great test trial to see if I really want to take DH to Epcot F&W in a few years as a couple trip.

I am quite curious to see how my family handles me and my love for Food & Wine Booths. This will be a great test trial to see if I really want to take DH to Epcot F&W in a few years as a couple trip.
We love Epcot F&W. Have been the past 2 years. Just by luck our first vacation to DL/DCA is scheduled during DCA F&W. I'm so excited but also really wish they would release more info.

Day 4 Monday/Part 2: DCA

After either some pool time or exploration of DTD, it will be back to DCA for the evening. I am not planning on a late night because tomorrow is Early Magic Hours at Disneyland and I want to totally take advantage of the time. But I really want to see DCA at night, most important on the list will be…

neon.jpg

The Neon Lighting ceremony in Carsland. This happens at Sunset each evening, which on this night will be just about 7 pm. And of course afterwards we simply have to explore Carsland at night and ride Radiator Springs Racers. The only other thing on my must do list tonight is to ride…

2.jpg

With all the lights. We are not going to mess with Mickey's World of Color on this night. I have that scheduled for our last night. I want to be back in the hotel close to 9 pm and in bed by 10 pm. The wake up call is going to be brutal as Early Entry at DL is 7 am, which means we have to be out of the hotel room by 6 am.

We love Epcot F&W. Have been the past 2 years. Just by luck our first vacation to DL/DCA is scheduled during DCA F&W. I'm so excited but also really wish they would release more info.

I am pleasantly surprised too that DCA F&W falls during our trip. I keep checking Disney Food Blog for updates. I am so sad that we will not be there for the weekend, as Duff Goldman is the celebrity chef. There was quite a few listed on the schedule that I would love to see. This year at F&W there really were not a lot of chefs that interested me at all.

Cars Land at night really is incredible. I don't think I saw the actual lighting when I was there, but I did see it with the everything lit up, and it's really something magical. I know you will love it!!

Day 5: Tuesday
Disneyland

1.jpg

Tuesday is going to be spent in Disneyland the entire day. With the tickets that I purchased we have Early Morning Access at 7 am. YIKES, no wonder why I called it an early evening the night before because I plan to be there with #monsterchild (aka Jo) in tow. The first thing when we enter the park is to head straight for Tomorrowland to sign up for Jedi Training, something the Jo wanted to do when we went to WDW and did not get accomplished.

2.jpg

I really don’t care what time slot we get into, just as long as we get in. Once that is taken care of we will spend the remaining Early Morning access in Tomorrowland.

3.jpg

I am thinking Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain will be top on the list and should be accomplished by the time DL opens for the general public. Sadly, a lot of attractions will still be in refurbishment or closed due to Star Wars/Seasonal, but I feel pretty confident that we will get through everything in a day so that the following day will be just full of favorites. From this point on I plugged the day into touringplans to get a plan of attack but there are certain things what are must…

4.jpg

My family is not going to be very happy, but I want to totally experience all the classic rides in Fantasyland as well as tour Sleeping Beauty’s Castle.

5.jpg

6.jpg

And of course there is retheming of the Village Haus into the Red Rose Tavern that we are totally going to eat at for lunch or dinner, because if you ask the dishes the grey stuff is delicious! I know my boys will be dying to ride the Jungle Cruise, which was one of their favorite rides in WDW.

7.jpg

I am pretty certain that we will be hearing the jokes and puns the rest of the day so I might just need to save that ride till the end.

8.jpg

We must eat a dole whip while watching the Enchanted Tiki Room Show. I know the boys will have to do everything that is Star Wars related,

9.jpg

Including meet and greets (taking advantage of my Disney Chase Card). And no visit would be complete without a picture with

10.jpg

Thanks Ryan...saw this too! I wish they had more pictures but it looks like the menu is pretty different then last year. Guess we will just go with it.

Cars Land at night really is incredible. I don't think I saw the actual lighting when I was there, but I did see it with the everything lit up, and it's really something magical. I know you will love it!!

I am so excited! I love Disney at night!

Disneyland the original park! Good plan of attack it seems. The only suggestion I might make is the beauty and the Beast thing has been like two hour waits lately because people just want the grey stuff. So maybe plan accordingly for that.

Disneyland the original park! Good plan of attack it seems. The only suggestion I might make is the beauty and the Beast thing has been like two hour waits lately because people just want the grey stuff. So maybe plan accordingly for that.

Thanks Ryan!

The grey stuff is pretty amazing. I am hearing it is different than BOG...we shall have to try and see. I am really loving that Poutine FlatBread.

I have it scheduled at the end of the touring plans around 6:30. That way we are not rushing nor do we have anything planned afterwards except to walk around at night...my favorite time.

I'm pretty sure we've been able to do everything (or almost everything) in Disneyland in one day, so it's definitely doable. I like the idea of knocking everything out in one day and repeating the favorites on your next day.

All of the classic rides in Fantasyland are must-dos - do them all, even if your family doesn't agree! I really can't think of a single one of those rides that I don't enjoy. They're all wonderful. Definitely make sure to do the ones they don't have in Florida (although the ones they have in Florida are different in California sometimes ... I know Peter Pan is definitely different).

Day 6:
Park Hopping Last Day at DLR

Wednesday is going to be somewhat less structured, at least right now it is. I have a VERY GENERAL PLAN for the day but the more detailed plan of attack for Wednesday will not happen until Tuesday night when we arrive back to the hotel. Throughout Monday and Tuesday I am going to take note of the things that the boys really enjoyed and then on Tuesday night I am going to plug those observations into Touringplans and come up with a plan for Wednesday. These are the things I do know right now about Wednesday…

dl.jpg

If I had to guess we will be doing Indiana Jones, Space Mountain, Star Tours, Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion. Sadly POTC will reopen the following day from refurbishment and the Matterhorn sometime later. We will be at Disneyland in the morning until around 1 pm. From there we will take advantage of our Park Hoppers and make our way across to DCA where we have late lunch reservations at…

cathway.jpg

Carthay Circle with FastPass tickets for World of Color Viewing. I am not sure of how my family is going to react to the poo-poo lunch but out of all the menus I liked this one the best. I don’t want to deal with crowds and learning the ropes of World of Color so I felt like a meal with the fastpasses was the best option for this trip. We will spend the rest of the afternoon…

dca.jpg

enjoying our favorite things in DCA. My guess is we will be riding Soarin, Toy Story Mania, California Screamin and Radiator Racers. World of Color is scheduled for 9 pm that evening, so I am expecting that we need to be there around 8 (although I need to do a little more research about this). We will end the evening (and the Disney part of our road trip) watching…

woc.jpg

before heading back to the hotel for our last night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!