Pub Quiz?

TestingH2O

DIS Veteran
I am going to try and attend a trivia session on my upcoming cruise. They look like a lot of fun, and it's something I think my dad and husband might really enjoy. I see Pub Quiz listed in several spots. Is that just another form of trivia? If not, what is it? If so, what types of questions are asked?

Thanks for the info!

I am going to try and attend a trivia session on my upcoming cruise. They look like a lot of fun, and it's something I think my dad and husband might really enjoy. I see Pub Quiz listed in several spots. Is that just another form of trivia? If not, what is it? If so, what types of questions are asked?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, the Pub Quiz is another form of general trivia.

On the Fantasy in November, they had music trivia each night in O'Gills that was between the dinner shows. We went to several, lots of fun!

I wandered back while the "Pub Quiz" was going on. It was more like brain teasers and stuff (like "my uncle's sister is not my aunt...how is this possible?" stuff). Not true trivia.

When we were on the Fantasy last April we went once to O’Gills for Pixar trivia and even though we were early the place was packed and there was nowhere to sit. How early do you have to get there to get a seat? It’s a pretty small space.

When we were on the Fantasy last April we went once to O’Gills for Pixar trivia and even though we were early the place was packed and there was nowhere to sit. How early do you have to get there to get a seat? It’s a pretty small space.

I agree that the space is small. The pub is definitely roomier and more amenable to trivia on the classic ships. I think the answer to your question is that it depends on the time of day and what trivia is being offered. If it's a seaday and in the afternoon and something like Pixar, that would probably be a very popular trivia. If it's a standard pub quiz, or one of the trivias that falls between the dinner seatings, there might be less people. One thing you might try if you arrive and the room is full is to ask any solos or couples if you can join them and make a team.

I agree that the space is small. The pub is definitely roomier and more amenable to trivia on the classic ships. I think the answer to your question is that it depends on the time of day and what trivia is being offered. If it's a seaday and in the afternoon and something like Pixar, that would probably be a very popular trivia. If it's a standard pub quiz, or one of the trivias that falls between the dinner seatings, there might be less people. One thing you might try if you arrive and the room is full is to ask any solos or couples if you can join them and make a team.

It also doesn’t help when they don’t stick to the designated in the Navigator and on the app age of 18+. When I wandered in for carrots and celery, there were more than a few seats taken up by clearly under 18 butts.

The age thing was tricky. Because in some places it said 18+ but in other places it said all ages until 8 or 9 pm. There were definitely kids in the pub at some of our trivia sessions, especially the 7:30 ones. But on the other hand, it was a pain to drop ours off at the kids club for just half an hour (we had late seating for dinner), especially with how long checking in and out can take. So I can sympathize. And they were all at 4-tops, so no strangers would be taking those seats anyway.

The age thing was tricky. Because in some places it said 18+ but in other places it said all ages until 8 or 9 pm. There were definitely kids in the pub at some of our trivia sessions, especially the 7:30 ones. But on the other hand, it was a pain to drop ours off at the kids club for just half an hour (we had late seating for dinner), especially with how long checking in and out can take. So I can sympathize. And they were all at 4-tops, so no strangers would be taking those seats anyway.

All the trivia and pub quiz sessions that took place in the Crown and Fin last week were only listed on the Navigator as 18+ and only in the Adult Fun section (or whatever the terminology is). So though the After Hours area was in the all-ages time, those events should have been restricted. I was not interested in playing, but if I had been, I would have definitely but politely asked about it.

On my Magic cruise a few years ago, I heard a cast member telling a parent that children could be in the room during daytime hours, but all players for games listed as 18+ must be 18 or older. I don't know if that's the official policy or if it's up to each host.

On my Magic cruise a few years ago, I heard a cast member telling a parent that children could be in the room during daytime hours, but all players for games listed as 18+ must be 18 or older. I don't know if that's the official policy or if it's up to each host.

See, that is where the confusion comes in. "They can be here, but they can't play..." It just sends a mixed message. They have no issues with signs up outside of bars where tastings are going on "Private Event" - why can they not put up a sign (and enforce it) 18+ event for events listed as 18+.

I wandered back while the "Pub Quiz" was going on. It was more like brain teasers and stuff (like "my uncle's sister is not my aunt...how is this possible?" stuff). Not true trivia.
In my experience across three of the ships (no Dream for me), although that type question might be used in a “Pub Quiz”, they are more commonly part of a “Brainteasers” session. The usual pub quiz includes a series of question (typically) in each of four or five different trivia categories like sports, movies, Disney theme parks, etc., the categories that are also used for entire trivia games. There are also sometimes Know It All trivia games that mix up categories.

In my experience across three of the ships (no Dream for me), although that type question might be used in a “Pub Quiz”, they are more commonly part of a “Brainteasers” session. The usual pub quiz includes a series of question (typically) in each of four or five different trivia categories like sports, movies, Disney theme parks, etc., the categories that are also used for entire trivia games. There are also sometimes Know It All trivia games that mix up categories.

I just know I was in there long enough to overhear about 5 questions being answered (I missed them being asked) and all of them were brainteasers and not legit trivia questions.

I just know I was in there long enough to overhear about 5 questions being answered (I missed them being asked) and all of them were brainteasers and not legit trivia questions.
It sounds like the club host (was it Jo?) treated the pub quiz as a host’s choice game, since it doesn’t specify trivia or brainteasers in the schedule (which are separate and distinct categories, as far as I’m concerned). Trivia games are mostly devoted to a single category of questions, except for the Know It All games. Although the brainteasers can be fun if your mind works in a particular way, it’s nothing like trivia as far as I’m concerned. I think its an acquired taste, although I have played a couple of times. I prefer sports or movie quotes trivia and avoid music and TV trivia (since most of current pop culture might as well be a foreign language for me).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter