Public affection

Straight couple here..

First off Disney is for families and that includes your family... :hug:

Secondly on the PDA... For me personally, I could care less about the hand holding, hugging or even moderate kissing and this is for all couples straight, gay, or whatever .... What I don't want to see, is full on making out, along with bunch of groping and grinding, again this goes for all couples straight, gay or whatever. For me its about the kiddos... Keep it appropriate for them.

Absolutely agreed. It's actually my rule for being anywhere in public. There are things that are appropriate and things that aren't. It goes far beyond PDA...it goes to the clothes you're wearing, the words coming out of your mouth, your attitude, etc. If I'm in a restaurant, I'm not going to drop 18 F bombs. If I'm in a bar, you can bet I'll feel okay doing it.

So, I am about as conservative as they come. I grew up Catholic, and I still am. I work at my local Parish.

Two boys (or young men) holding hands, hugging or a quick peck isn't going to be enough for me to notice. My husband and I do the same thing. Live and let live.

We saw one couple almost sitting on each other, with tongues down each others throat, on a ride. I don't care what sex the couple is, that isn't appropriate outside your hotel room.

Little late to comment but as a Florida native, Florida in general isn't actually very conservative. It's almost like the further south you go the more north it feels like. We see so many different types of tourists from every place on the planet that everyone is a little numb to things. It's why Florida has that meme of us seeing a gator on the street and passing by like it's nothing, we just aren't phased by anything.

Also Florida is huge on the LGBT community. It's a little crazy to be honest. There's a ton of gay bars and even a LGBTQ community just for Disney CMs. There's a great deal of LGBTQ+ Disney CM's, naturally, and beyond that it's super diverse. You're more likely to get comments from people that are visiting from Georgia or Mississippi than anyone that lives in Florida. We're either young adults trying to make a living or retirees lol.

I’m late too. I am a very conservative Republican. I do not care at all if I see two people (of any sexual preference) displaying physical affection unless it crosses the line into sexual activity.

Holding hands, hugging, quick pecks are okay even if it clear that the two are a same sex couple. Long passionate kisses, grinding hugs and other sexually charged interactions that imply the couple needs a room are not my cup of tea. No matter what the sexual orientation of the couple.

It’s the activity that may be offensive not the sexual orientation of the participants.

I know this post is very old, but chiming in for anyone who reads it late: my wife and I went to Disney for a short trip in Dec. of 2018 -- we are an affectionate couple (on the PG level - hand holding, light pecks, etc) but we didn't meet any negativity about it. We have memory maker and were on the hunt for a christmas card photo, so we had quite a few photopass photos where we posed by kissing or in traditional "couple" shots. The only reaction we had from cast members and (one time) other guests was "awws" and support. We didn't ever feel afraid to show affection. As long as you're not grinding in public, you should be fine!

I know this post is very old, but chiming in for anyone who reads it late: my wife and I went to Disney for a short trip in Dec. of 2018 -- we are an affectionate couple (on the PG level - hand holding, light pecks, etc) but we didn't meet any negativity about it. We have memory maker and were on the hunt for a christmas card photo, so we had quite a few photopass photos where we posed by kissing or in traditional "couple" shots. The only reaction we had from cast members and (one time) other guests was "awws" and support. We didn't ever feel afraid to show affection. As long as you're not grinding in public, you should be fine!
This was so nice to read. This will be our first trip to Disney where we aren’t still in the closet. I really enjoy the idea of not fighting the impulse to want to hold hands occasionally or take a cute photopass photo. I still carry a little fear but reading notes like yours & the others on here really help so much. Thank you everyone for posting your positive thoughts & experiences.

This was so nice to read. This will be our first trip to Disney where we aren’t still in the closet. I really enjoy the idea of not fighting the impulse to want to hold hands occasionally or take a cute photopass photo. I still carry a little fear but reading notes like yours & the others on here really help so much. Thank you everyone for posting your positive thoughts & experiences.

I wanted to throw in some of our photopass photos we got here to show what I meant. One of them even includes the "mistletoe" magic shot that we didn't have to ask for, the cast member just realized we were a couple and offered it to us. Really all we heard from the photopass photographers the whole trip was "you guys are so cute!" so definitely don't worry about being a couple in public.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414871088648.JPG PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_414838783105.JPG PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414846061299.JPG

Also: my wife pointed out that we have come out to every princess that we met (I love princesses, we've met a lot) because they ask if we're sisters a lot and we say "no! we're married!" and they've all been really positive in their reactions. Didn't even have that awkward "processing" moment: they just went into "oh! congratulations!" or talking about their princes. I know they have to work with a diverse clientele during meet and greets, but they definitely weren't negative to us in any way! I hope your trip is amazing :)

I wanted to throw in some of our photopass photos we got here to show what I meant. One of them even includes the "mistletoe" magic shot that we didn't have to ask for, the cast member just realized we were a couple and offered it to us. Really all we heard from the photopass photographers the whole trip was "you guys are so cute!" so definitely don't worry about being a couple in public.
View attachment 378476 View attachment 378477 View attachment 378478

Also: my wife pointed out that we have come out to every princess that we met (I love princesses, we've met a lot) because they ask if we're sisters a lot and we say "no! we're married!" and they've all been really positive in their reactions. Didn't even have that awkward "processing" moment: they just went into "oh! congratulations!" or talking about their princes. I know they have to work with a diverse clientele during meet and greets, but they definitely weren't negative to us in any way! I hope your trip is amazing :)
YOU GUYS ARE TOO ADORABLE!!!! I love your pics so much!! A big LOL to “...we have come out to every princess..”. :D
The sister thing is so funny. People always assume we are sisters too! Thanks so much again for sharing all of this!! I’m really excited for our next trip. We finally got married recently so we must of course celebrate at WDW.

The only potential issue I see has nothing to do with the fact that they are both male. I know a lot of hotels in the US require someone over 21 in every hotel room. Might want to check if Disney requires this.
My daughter (20) and her friend (19) shared a room across the hall from us at the Polynesian in July. Age was not an issue.

My wife and i go to disney every year we are affectionate at home but i know people have different views than other which i totally understand. But if something doesn't worry you or your son and his bf don't let it affect you or your trip, i personally am not over affectionate besides handholding in the parks because i don't want to be like most of the heterosexual couples that are practically making out in line or such because that alone makes anyone uncomfortable personally. But ive never had any issue do i notice ppl stare time to time but im paying to be there just like them so i don't worry myself or pay no mind. However my wife and i was in epcot one time and there was girl and boy just walking behind these two men that you could clearly tell was gay but they were not even together so they weren't holding hands or anything and they are clearly making fun of them. Honestly it upset me, i understand everyone doesn't think different but come on its 2019 and if you do not approve of gay lifestyle then fine thats you but do not be crude and rude especially clearly to anyone that is paying attention. So long story short there are people in wdw that could be unpleasant or stare but if you or your son does not mind pay no mind have a good time, you can't control others. I hope you all have a great time if you have no went yet!

This is definitely a late reply, but my wife and I are so comfortable at Disney. We're not huge into public PDA, mostly because we live in a somewhat conservative area, but we don't usually feel awkward in the slightest at Disney. We've held hands and given each other a quick kiss. When we went for our honeymoon, the cast members were excited to pose us like any other couple. The only time that we had a negative experience was at Biergarten. The family we were sat with scooted their chairs away from us and treated us like a disease. BUT the cast member who was waiting on our table was amazing. He chatted with us and made sure that we felt comfortable and happy. It was wonderful. He really went out of his way to make a point that we were just any other family. That is the one and only time we've had a bad experience as a gay couple at Disney, and we've been 5 times together. We're not afraid to just be us there, and I love that it's such a welcoming environment to anyone. If you guys have gone, I hope you had a wonderful trip! If not, I hope you have a great time. You sound so supportive of your son and his boyfriend. That will make all the difference if anyone even tries to be judgey.

As long as it isn’t too suggestive and it is discreet. It is also gross when heterosexual couples make out in front of everyone in the park.

My fiancé and myself have never had any issues. We are annual pass holders who frequent the parks.

Agreed about PDAs in public, gay or straight. Keep it “cool” and everyone should be OK.

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping this is the right place to post this.

I’m a mom of a gay son and we are planning a family trip with me, my DH, our son and his boyfriend. DS will be 17 at the time and his bf will be 18. While talking about our plans DS raised an issue we never thought of before. They’ve been together for over a year and are super affectionate - hand holding, hugging, kisses - not full on making out in public but definitely couplely. This has never been an issue at home, we live in a suburb in Ottawa, Canada, and DS has never experienced any bad reactions. But he’s nervous about going down to Disney World in a more conservative area of the US. Is it likely that DS and the bf will get bad reactions? Will they face any flak because one is 18 and the other 17? Will them sharing a room be an issue?

Anything that can help me reduce his nervousness would be great. TIA
Hey I wouldn't worry look up Disneyland Fancis he is a gay insta celeb who does all things Disney, even characters are good with it. When are you going they have gay days during pride

If seeing people happy and in love upsets people, that is on them. Couples hold hands. If people don't like it, they can look away.

This is 2019 - virtually everyone that I know now looks at someone being gay or one of the other initials as "so what". As I stated in an earlier post I am a 73 year old conservative Republican who lives in the deep south. I realize that many people want to "hate" me because I do not conform to their political agenda.

But seriously - in this day in age - who really thinks that gay people are any different from non gay people? People are people. Who one chooses to love is no more different that what one's skin color is. And even though things are much more open than they were 50 years ago - I found that even 50 years ago there was a lot of tolerance even if it was not as open as it should have been.

50 years ago there was this sort of semi being open. It was an often non acknowledged thing about someone being gay even though "everyone sort of knew". Now everyone knows and no one cares.

I love family trips, you all are going to have such an amazing time! I think as long as your DS and DS bf keep it PG then it's perfectly fine. We live in a conservative area in GA, I have no problem with my children seeing handholding, arm around each other, and quick pecks on the mouth/ cheek. Anything beyond that ( long kisses, hanging all over each other etc.) In my opinion don't belong in a family place from heterosexual or gay couples. Example: two years ago DS ( then 7) and I were in line at Test track. Two teenagers were sticking tongues down throats every few minutes and groping rearends.....not what I wanted my 7 year old to see. I'm sure your teens are better behaved. If it were me, I may remind my teen that it has to be kept family friendly when you and DH aren't around. Hope the four of you have a magical trip!

Straight couple here..

First off Disney is for families and that includes your family... :hug:

Secondly on the PDA... For me personally, I could care less about the hand holding, hugging or even moderate kissing and this is for all couples straight, gay, or whatever .... What I don't want to see, is full on making out, along with bunch of groping and grinding, again this goes for all couples straight, gay or whatever. For me its about the kiddos... Keep it appropriate for them.

As far as the hotel... this you will need to check out... If you rooms are adjoining or next to each other I don't think that there will be a issue...

Have a wonderful time... pixiedust:

I’m late too. I am a very conservative Republican. I do not care at all if I see two people (of any sexual preference) displaying physical affection unless it crosses the line into sexual activity.

Holding hands, hugging, quick pecks are okay even if it clear that the two are a same sex couple. Long passionate kisses, grinding hugs and other sexually charged interactions that imply the couple needs a room are not my cup of tea. No matter what the sexual orientation of the couple.

It’s the activity that may be offensive not the sexual orientation of the participants.

As long as it isn’t too suggestive and it is discreet. It is also gross when heterosexual couples make out in front of everyone in the park.

This is 2019 - virtually everyone that I know now looks at someone being gay or one of the other initials as "so what". As I stated in an earlier post I am a 73 year old conservative Republican who lives in the deep south. I realize that many people want to "hate" me because I do not conform to their political agenda.

But seriously - in this day in age - who really thinks that gay people are any different from non gay people? People are people. Who one chooses to love is no more different that what one's skin color is. And even though things are much more open than they were 50 years ago - I found that even 50 years ago there was a lot of tolerance even if it was not as open as it should have been.

50 years ago there was this sort of semi being open. It was an often non acknowledged thing about someone being gay even though "everyone sort of knew". Now everyone knows and no one cares.

First, I hope y'all had a great trip!
Second, it seems you may have started quite the conversation
Third, many quoted above have already expressed my thoughts

And as a heterosexual father, I would suggest:

I expect my kids to encounter and accept ALL people, and have seen no bias out of them so far, and Disney is part of their education.
I would however suggest that if a couple were concerned about proper public behavior, to adapt to what maybe 95% of other couples behavior is.
If a couple fits into norms, then are they not normal?

My husband and I have visited every Disney Park in the world since between 2013 and 2018 and we've found to all to be safe spaces where we can be ourselves and do the small regular PDAs that others, perhaps, take for granted.

Whilst more eyebrows were raised (out of curiosity more than dislike) in the Asian parks when compared to those in the west, even those parks were very nice spaces to find ourselves in.

My husband actually wrote a post about the experience in Shanghai which features the LGBT angle on our travel blog: https://www.havehusbandwilltravel.c...o-conquer-our-thoughts-on-shanghai-disneyland

And I shared my thoughts about honeymooning as half of an LGBT couple in Disneyland Resort (along with Disney LGBT pride, in general), too: https://www.havehusbandwilltravel.c...ow-disneyland-anaheim-continues-to-show-pride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!