Pumpkin Pie - can you use real pumpkin?

BevS97

disney scrapper
I love pumpkin pie and when I lived in the States my mum always used to make one with canned pumpkin. You can't get canned pumpkin over here, but I bought a real pumpkin yesterday (to make a lantern), I was wondering if I could make a pie with that?

Bev

Yes, you can. As for specifics, I can't give you maybe someone else here has done that. But I do know for a fact that pumpkins have A LOT of water in them and the water takes a long time to cook down!

No canned pumpkin, yikes! I'd be sooooo lost without it. I make pumpkin bread non-stop in the fall and winter and buy pumpkin by the case.

Good Luck!!

TK

It's been years since I've made fresh pumpkin. I do remember that I never used the big, round, orange jack-o-lantern pumpkins for pie, though. I usually bought a crook neck (pale orange) or one of those green with white specks that reminds you of a goose.
Here are a couple of recipe/descriptions . . .

Cut pumpkin in pieces, peel & cook in a small amt of water.
Drain well, mash & put through strainer. (To remove seeds & fibers - I always used a "Vittorio Strainer" for this.)
Line 9" pie pan with plain pastry. Set oven to 450. Mix
1 1/2 c cooked, strained pumpkin
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c cream or evaporated milk
Pour in pie shell. Bake 10 min, then lower heat to 300 & bake until firm (~45 min). To make it spicier, add 1/4 tsp ground cloves.

Another recipe:
Mix together
1 c sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmet
Beat in 2 eggs
Add 1 c well-cooked-down (cooked-dry) pumpkin
Add 1 c thick cream or whipping cream
Bake 20 min at 425, reduce heat to 375 & bake until it raises up then makes small cracks around the edge. (8" pan will be full !!

At the bottom of the pie recipe in More-With-Less Cookbook . . .
Options:
Substitute yellow squash, sweet potatoes or carrots for pumpkin. No need to mash vegetable first if using a blender - just drain well.

I buy the pie pumpkins. Split in half and remove the seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet cover in foil. bake at 325 for 45 min - 1 hr.

Pirates mate is right...if you use a goose neck squash you will get a much creamier filling without all the fibers that an orange pie pumpkin has and the taste is the same. My mom always makes hers this way and they are the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter