Purchase "sold out" property DVC direct from Disney

HallDisney2019

Earning My Ears
As I am new to the forums, I saw a very interesting post the other day. I did not realize you could possibly purchase "sold out" DVC memberships direct from Disney (i.e. purchase points to OKW direct vs. going resale).
Right now, they are selling points at $155/pp.

Now the EPCOT resorts and others are selling right at, or even more, than the new DVC resorts they are promoting. It does not make sense to purchase these unless you absolutely will not stay anywhere else

Resale is still cheaper, but with the restrictions Disney is starting to put on resale, this may be the route to take. You gain all the benefits of a direct DVC member, and if I am not mistaken, you can use your points at the new resorts (I may be wrong). I also read if you purchase OKW, they give you the extended deed at 2057 vs. the typical 2042 you see on resale websites.

Does anyone else have information on this or researched this further? If you did venture down this path, how was your experience? I am interested in getting others input

Thanks

I think you've got it.

The advantage is you get your points basically immediately. And also have access to future resorts. And the other "perks" - which are pretty minimal, imo. The disadvantage is you pay at least a few thousand more - and possibly more than that.

This is a routinely discussed topic here.
Almost nobody thinks that paying DVC direct prices for older resorts is worth it simply for the benefits.

In addition to this, benefits can be taken away at any time. If you only want to stay at the 14 legacy resorts, there is really no reason that makes buying direct worth the premium price.

The disadvantage is you pay at least a few thousand more - and possibly more than that.

It's especially ridiculous at the monorail resorts.

In general, you can't buy certain resorts direct at all. VGF is a rarity, and VGC is basically a NOPITY, side of NOPESAUCE.

"Sold out" in DVC speak simply means they are no longer actively marketing it. It might possibly mean you have to go on a waitlist for the points but yes, DVC sells points at any and all resorts. One other nuance. DVC does not maintain their licensing for every resort in all states once they are no longer actively selling. You might potentially be unable to purchase some of the older resorts from your state.

The question is always if it makes sense comparing to resale. Even with all the restrictions it may not as it could take a decade or more to potentially recover the difference in pricing and you don't know what changes might occur over the years. The largest discount is the ability to purchase the Gold AP. If you're from FL you can do that anyway. And it's offering as a product to DVC members is only a few years old and there's always the potential for them to remove it. Another favorite to buy direct is access to the Moonlight Magic events. As some new (and old) owners have discovered there's still not guarantee you'll get a reservation for them. You could attend quite a few of the newer night park offerings that Disney has recently started for the price savings on a large resale contract.

"Sold out" in DVC speak simply means they are no longer actively marketing it. It might possibly mean you have to go on a waitlist for the points but yes, DVC sells points at any and all resorts. One other nuance. DVC does not maintain their licensing for every resort in all states once they are no longer actively selling. You might potentially be unable to purchase some of the older resorts from your state.

The question is always if it makes sense comparing to resale. Even with all the restrictions it may not as it could take a decade or more to potentially recover the difference in pricing and you don't know what changes might occur over the years. The largest discount is the ability to purchase the Gold AP. If you're from FL you can do that anyway. And it's offering as a product to DVC members is only a few years old and there's always the potential for them to remove it. Another favorite to buy direct is access to the Moonlight Magic events. As some new (and old) owners have discovered there's still not guarantee you'll get a reservation for them. You could attend quite a few of the newer night park offerings that Disney has recently started for the price savings on a large resale contract.

What is the Gold AP? I am curious as my mother/Father are DVC members. They typically purchase an AP, but want to make sure they are getting the best bang for their buck!

We bought OKW direct in May 2019. Yes, they extend you to 2057. You also get to choose your use year. Points are immediately available to you. Instead of the 100 points we bought we get 200 for 2020 because I already banked the 2019 points knowing we are not going back until next May. Cost per point was $155.00.

We looked at resale for the last couple of years just watching trends, contracts taken in ROFR, etc. The contracts that would fit our needs right now (smaller 75-100) were all getting taken by Disney, they would expire in 2042, or they would be stripped. Those that were smaller and expiring in 2057 cost significantly more on the resale market than typical larger or 2042 OKW contracts too. The difference was about $30-$35/point. Even if the gold pass benefit goes away in 5-6 years I should've saved my money by being able to use that benefit for our family of 4 by buying direct.

We really love Old Key West, and we have no issue staying there every time we travel. If we can switch at 7 months, great, if not, that is great as well.

I realize the perks can go away at any time, but for us and our future (we have a 3 year old and a 10 year old), the current direct benefits were worth it to us to have for our first contract. I find it really hard to believe with so many resorts costing folks so much less on the resale market that Disney isn't going to make it worth your while, even a little, by buying direct for the forseeable future even if "those benefits can change at any time." It is easy to say those benefits aren't worth it when you were already grandfathered in as well.

As for my next contract, it will most definitely be resale LOL :)

What is the Gold AP? I am curious as my mother/Father are DVC members. They typically purchase an AP, but want to make sure they are getting the best bang for their buck!

It is an annual pass with blackout dates over Christmas and Easter. I don't have the exact numbers but it's approx $140-$150 per pass less than the Platinum DVC AP and $240 or so less than the Platinum Plus.

Did it once to get a very specific amount of points/use year that we wanted at Grand Californian after stalking resales without any luck for several years. Compared to what those contracts are selling for now, it was a bargain.

Going to just throw out that if you need an AP and have a large family, say a family of 5, direct benefits can save you ~$2,000 per year on the Gold AP vs Platinum AP. Who knows how long that will be the case though. Other than that, benefits are not worth the cost. And if you are a FL resident, you'd be crazy to ever buy direct.

We bought BLT two years ago. We contacted our guide and within two weeks we had the points and the UY we requested. We fully realized it wasn't the best value but we wanted the location and blue card benefits for APs.

Called and inquired into purchasing a BRV contract. We would have to be put on the wait list and price was $176/pt, I believe. I started searching before pulling the trigger and found a resale contract with the right amount of points with our UY. We closed last week - 1 month from offer to closing - and saved over $11,000 compared to buying direct. The restrictions don't bother us. Followed the buy where you want to stay theory.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts