Purchased 50 pts BW .. can I switch??

Renee H

Mouseketeer
Hello... my husband and I Purchased 50 pts just under the wire on Saturday at the BW to meet the new criteria for perks. We are a family of six and will require no less than a two bedroom or two studios. I would prefer a two bedroom and from what I am reading I guess they are a little easier to secure anyway. I originally wanted the beach club but that wasn’t available. What I didn’t realize was that the boardwalk only had lock off two bed units... so basically when all the studios are gone the two beds are gone. We’d like to add on in the future but don’t see us now adding on at BW due to availability of the 2 bed. We haven’t signed papers yet but paid our deposit.
I called our guide this morning and asked if we could just switch our 50 pts to BC and still keep our 50 points with perks. We’d like to add on probably 300-350 in the near future but at BC. The BW will probably be useless to us (in a way)... except to combine at 7 months.
She said it would become a new contract and have to be 75 minimum points.

Here’s my question... can they do the 50 if the WANTED at BC? You know what I mean? A little pixie dust so to speak.. seeing as we put money down Saturday? I hope you get my gist.. I know “technically” it would be a new contract but wondering what your thoughts are?

If they allowed that everybody would have been trying to do it based on what was available. Best of luck, but I don’t think that is going to happen. My suggestion is cancel the one you bought (I hope no one else needed those behind you on Saturday) and buy the 75 where you want them.

No, they really can't make that kind of exception. This is a real estate interest and there are rules.

If they allowed that everybody would have been trying to do it based on what was available. Best of luck, but I don’t think that is going to happen. My suggestion is cancel the one you bought (I hope no one else needed those behind you on Saturday) and buy the 75 where you want them.
I literally got them 15 minutes before the end of the day..

Congratulations on getting your points right under the wire.

As far as your situation, I would keep what you have and add where you want later. BWV is much larger than BCV and has more villas available...you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 2 br even if it is a lock-off. My main objection to BWV is the fact that a 2 br only has 2 real beds. If this doesn't bother you then you should be fine.

Congratulations on getting your points right under the wire.

As far as your situation, I would keep what you have and add where you want later. BWV is much larger than BCV and has more villas available...you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 2 br even if it is a lock-off. My main objection to BWV is the fact that a 2 br only has 2 real beds. If this doesn't bother you then you should be fine.
What do you mean only 2 real beds? And thank you!

The studio side is a queen + full size sofa bed. In a dedicated 2br, the 2nd bedroom has 2 queens (plus the king in the master = 3 real beds)
Oh I see.... I just didn’t know that there were no dedicated 2 bds AT ALL... so everyone took all the studios and then that left no 2 bds available. I’ve been researching for a year... And that’s not something I would’ve thought to ask or look into

I would also ask what UY you got your points for. Because if you're looking to combine at 7 months, you'll need your resale to be the same UY, and if you got September BWV points, finding a Beach Club contract to match that UY will be pretty rough.

To be honest, given the size of your eventual ownership, I think you'd be better off rescinding this purchase because you're within 10 days, and doing more research. I think you've set yourself up to struggle with this ownership.

What do you mean only 2 real beds? And thank you!
The lock-off at BWV is a studio and they all have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. The 1 bedroom has 1 king bed and a sleeper sofa in the living room. Only 2 real beds. It still sleeps 8 but that's putting 4 people on a sofa bed, not too horrible for kids. If having a real bed to sleep in over the course of your vacation the dedicated 2 bedroom anywhere will have that extra bed. BWV does not have that.

I would also ask what UY you got your points for. Because if you're looking to combine at 7 months, you'll need your resale to be the same UY, and if you got September BWV points, finding a Beach Club contract to match that UY will be pretty rough.

We are currently February at BW. What about the factor of getting in at 50 pts for perks like AP (that we’ve been getting now for years w/o discount)? I know it can go away but this year alone could save my family of 6 $1800. Is that a consideration IYO?

The good news is that February is the most common UY at BCV.

I think you have to weigh savings that could go away against the fact that you're setting yourself up with points you don't want and may have difficulty using as you're looking at using them at 7 months. You have enough to bank/borrow for a couple nights at BWV every 3 years, and that's it. In general, you're more likely to get something like OKW or Saratoga or AKV at 7 months, and those points are a lot cheaper in both direct and resale.

The good news is that February is the most common UY at

I think you have to weigh savings that could go away against the fact that you're setting yourself up with points you don't want and may have difficulty using as you're looking at using them at 7 months.

You have enough to bank/borrow for a couple nights at BWV every 3 years, and that's

In general, you're more likely to get something like OKW or Saratoga or AKV at 7 months, and those points are a lot cheaper in both direct and resale.
how do you know that about UY? That’s good to know! And that’s a good point about the banking and use for every three years ... that may end up being ok.
So what would you do?

If you are desperate to keep those 50 points for the perks and don't think they are usable you could just rent them out and use the proceeds to cover some of the mf's. I would think with the amount of points you are planning on buying you should just cancel this and then buy 75 direct where you want to be. You may end up with a few less points, but you would still have quite a bit. Just my 2 cents.

If you are desperate to keep those 50 points for the perks and don't think they are usable you could just rent them out and use the proceeds to cover some of the mf's. I would think with the amount of points you are planning on buying you should just cancel this and then buy 75 direct where you want to be. You may end up with a few less points, but you would still have quite a bit. Just my 2 cents.
Mf’s?

Honestly my advice is keep the points.

1. You can add on resale without having to buy more direct to stay grandfathered.

2. With APs, you’ll come more often, and that means possibly taking small side trips (just you and spouse, one adult and 3 kiddos this trip, different combo next trip). I’ve been a member for 4 years now and my DW loves WDW but not as much as me. In the past year, I’ve taken two trips with kiddos without her. Some of your kids will be involved with school/sports/projects as they grow, etc.

4. As an AP holder, I DO make trips in the 7 month window.

5. BWV has very cheap studios at times.

6. If you decide to sell in a few years, you won’t lose that much. The issue is risk of making a mistake by dumping them now while you can rescind without penalty, or having to sell them at a loss if they don’t work out. I think it’s worth the risk to keep them.

7. Access while searching for a resale. Having the ability to access the RAT (resort avail tool) while searching for a resale is a pretty decent bene if you ask me.

I’d keep the grandfathered points.

I'm a little confused by this purchase. How long before you plan on buying the rest of the points you would need to vacation? Seems like a rush purchase just to get in under the wire on perks. A year's worth of research should have revealed the room types and sleeping considerations, if not more.

I think you should cancel this purchase until you are fully ready to make a decision and then plan around buying all the points you need at a single resort.

I'm a little confused by this purchase. How long before you plan on buying the rest of the points you would need to vacation? Seems like a rush purchase just to get in under the wire on perks. A year's worth of research should have revealed the room types and sleeping considerations, if not more.

I think you should cancel this purchase until you are fully ready to make a decision and then plan around buying all the points you need at a single resort.

I researched amount of points needed , how/when to book, cost, and lots and lots of other things... but no, I did not think to ask how many room types are in a particular resort. I guess that one did not cross my mind. I actually did ask which room type gets booked the most and found that the studio does. So I figured I’d be at least a little better off needing a 2bd. Come to find out BWV is a weird setup.. idk who would’ve thought to ask that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter