Purchasing CCV vs DRR

NewtoDVC2020

Earning My Ears
We could use some help.

We are looking to use a 2BR every 2 years, and can't decide between CCV and DRR. We want to buy direct from Disney.

Our usual travelers are myself, my wife, my mother-in-law, and our 4 year old.

We think CCV looks more fun for young kids, but like the potential of DRR with the skyliner and access to Epcot and HS, and think long term in 10 years DRR will be better for adults.

We are a little worried about availability of 2BRs at CCV, due to the large amount of points with the cabins.

We would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks!

I think you are right to be worried about availability at CCV due to the points based in the cabin, but I do not own at CCV, so I hope some owners give you their experience. I love the WL area, and do not think DRR will be as lovely.

CCV has better theming in my opinion. I toured the Riviera sample rooms and they remind me of a nice Marriott hotel anywhere. We stayed in a CCV 2 bedroom last weekend for 2 nights and were impressed - stalked the website and grabbed the CCV 2 bedroom three months out.

Booking at the 11 month window will eliminate most availability issues at CCV, except at the very busiest times, so if you can do that you'll probably be fine. Flexibility overcomes the vast majority of booking problems within DVC. The point cost for rooms at CCV will be lower than equivalent rooms at DRR, so you won't need to purchase as many points to book your vacations. CCV is at the WL.

DRR will have the skyliner making transportation a breeze to Epcot and DHS. Of course, with a 4-year old, how much time will you actually spend at those parks for the first several years. DRR rooms will be more upscale than CCV.

Good luck with your decision!

We own a small contract. We stayed there in Oct for a night in a studio on our OKW points. We also used the CCV points to book Dec 19-21, 2019. We had a studio and was walking it (from November) and wanted a 2BR as well. I forgot to walk the studio one week and lost my ability to walk as availability was gone. I could have still gotten a 2BR on my 11 month window but not a studio so I grabbed a cabin instead (we are 4 adults and 4 college girls so a 2BR and studio would have been a better fit). I also grabbed a studio at BWV with my BWV points and will be putting it on CCV waitlist in 12 days. At any rate, if i could get a 2BR for right before Xmas then most of the year should also be do-able. I will say the 2BR was gone shortly after the 11 month window opening. So if you can't book by about 10 months out, then you likely will have trouble.

And jst an FYI...currently Feb and March are pretty available in a 2BR at CCV (just President's Day week is missing several days).

Last edited:
When would you be traveling normally?

I can tell you there are still a couple 3-4 night stays available for July and August at CCV for 2-bedrooms, first half of September is pretty available too...October-December have been gone, so you'd need to be ready to book right at 11 months out at those times (still not a guaranteed eve then). Pretty much all of February (except marathon week) is available and all of March and beginning of April are available (inside 11 month windows for those months right now).

It's hard to project what booking 2 bedrooms at Riviera will be like. I'd imagine they will have a similar number of 2-bedrooms as BCV (similar sized hotels in total room allocation). The question for me becomes how many 2-bedrooms will be standard and how many will be preferred, as there is a significant difference in point values from 1 level to the next on their 2-bedrooms. I could see booking a 2-bedroom standard at Riviera being every bit as difficult as booking a 2-bedroom at CCV (but it's all an assumption on my part)

Other factors to consider - your points will go further at CCV...just looking at 2-bedrooms for a week stay, CCV is anywhere from 27-92 points cheaper for a week depending on if you would get a standard room vs preferred room at Riviera during adventure season, all the way up to 94-168 points cheaper during premier season. Riviera's maintenance fee's also would appear to be higher (CCV's in 2019 were $7.43 a point...Riviera's 2020 are projected to be $8.31 a point)...obviously Copper Creek's will go up heading into 2020, but I'd say Riviera's will still be about $.40-$.50 higher per point.

Plus the whole resales can't use the legacy resorts makes reselling your RR points a bit of a devalue. I am sure resale prices will be lower for RR.

One thing to keep in mind...the 1BR at CCV cannot have 5 guests (only 4). If that matters to you.

It's really up to you as to what you're looking for. We own 2 MK resorts and just purchased Riviera. My kids enjoy VGF more than any other resort FWIW, and they are young. It isn't because it's close to MK either. They just like that resort the best. If you find that you really love the theming at CCV, then I'd probably buy there. We aren't very big into themes, so we like the resorts where we own. Personally, I get enough theming in the parks, but again, others love it which is why I said it is up to you. I agree that CCV is more themed as it is a part of WL compared to Riviera which looks like a very nice, relaxing resort. Good luck with your decision. :)

Just in case you didn't realize... You aren't limited to buying only CCV or DRR. You can buy at any of the "legacy" resorts, as well. You can buy them through DVC directly, or save about 1/3 by buying them resale. Resale has a restriction that you won't get the ability to book DRR, go to Moonlight Magic events, get discounted annual passes, have access to the Epcot DVC lounge, and won't get any special discounts available to "blue card" (direct purchase) members for dining and merchandise. While DVC wants to make resale purchasers feel like "second class citizens", the savings from all those non-guaranteed discounts and events don't amount to a whole lot of money (and certainly represents only a fraction of the premium in price between resale and direct).

These are the two resorts that I’m torn with as well. Like the theming at CCV but like the Gondola option to Epcot for food and wine festival. I also want the ability to book for future resorts when the times come. Thinking about doing a combo of direct points for DDR and resale for CCV. I plan on asking about CCV direct but think resale will be the way to go for that resort since they are pushing Riviera right now.

I also want the ability to book for future resorts when the times come.

I think you're overthinking it. There are no announced resorts beyond Reflections, and that isn't scheduled to open until 2022. It's going to take them several years to sell Reflections and Riviera, so who knows how long it will take before they plan/announce/start building another DVC resort. If you buy this year it could be 5-10 years before more resorts are built (if they are built). And once we hit an inevitable economic downturn, all bets are off. DVC could also change the rules at any time (for example, only allowing home resort bookings or changing how non-home resort bookings work, etc.)

I think you are right to be worried about availability at CCV due to the points based in the cabin, but I do not own at CCV, so I hope some owners give you their experience. I love the WL area, and do not think DRR will be as lovely.

2 bedrooms are easily obtainable at CCV. Studios are difficult.

We could use some help.

We are looking to use a 2BR every 2 years, and can't decide between CCV and DRR. We want to buy direct from Disney.

Our usual travelers are myself, my wife, my mother-in-law, and our 4 year old.

We think CCV looks more fun for young kids, but like the potential of DRR with the skyliner and access to Epcot and HS, and think long term in 10 years DRR will be better for adults.

We are a little worried about availability of 2BRs at CCV, due to the large amount of points with the cabins.

We would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks!

My wife and I recently purchased CCV over Riviera mainly due to the point charts. We typically vacation with the family in early June. For a 2 bedroom at CCV it is 44 points (no different room views at CCV). At Riviera, a 2 bedroom for the same dates is 50 for the standard view (parking lot?) and 59 points for the preferred (CBR).

The rooms at Riviera are larger and can sleep 9 people instead of 8.

Another factor you need to consider is cost. CCV went up to $210 as of June 1st. Riviera is still $188.

We have no regrets purchasing at CCV even though studios can be a pain to get.

My wife and I recently purchased CCV over Riviera mainly due to the point charts. We typically vacation with the family in early June. For a 2 bedroom at CCV it is 44 points (no different room views at CCV). At Riviera, a 2 bedroom for the same dates is 50 for the standard view (parking lot?) and 59 points for the preferred (CBR).

The rooms at Riviera are larger and can sleep 9 people instead of 8.

Another factor you need to consider is cost. CCV went up to $210 as of June 1st. Riviera is still $188.

We have no regrets purchasing at CCV even though studios can be a pain to get.
I agree with you about 59 points a night to look at CBR. I would rather spend 43 a night looking at animals at AKV or 48 a night for a lake view at BLT.

Whatever you decide, might I recommend, since you are buying direct, to consider buying a few smaller contracts to hit the point total you need.

Should you ever want to downsize, you can sell off 1 50 pointer for example. Also the overall resale value will likely be higher.

And since you are buying direct, pick a good UY for your travel times, if they tend to be consistent.

If you do go the CCV route, you might want to do 75 points direct, and the rest resale - just a thought. save some $$ and still get a good deal of the perks

I agree with you about 59 points a night to look at CBR. I would rather spend 43 a night looking at animals at AKV or 48 a night for a lake view at BLT.

Oddly enough, a 1 bedroom preferred view is more points (49) at Riviera than a 2 bedroom at CCV (44), 2 bedroom AKV Savannah (43), or 2 bedroom Lake View at BLT (48) during dream season.

Oddly enough, a 1 bedroom preferred view is more points (49) at Riviera than a 2 bedroom at CCV (44), 2 bedroom AKV Savannah (43), or 2 bedroom Lake View at BLT (48) during dream season.
Well, it is "The GF of Epcot" lol

One great thing that CCV had (has) going for it is that they matched the point chart of BRV - which is a point chart before the resorts started getting very point hungry.

Unless they do something similar with another resort (like a Beach club 2.0 or something) I do not think we will see another point chart like CCV. (Excluding some type of major change, like a moderate DVC or something)

I also thought this was contractually guaranteed.
No it isn't. They fall under Membership Extras thus could be removed any time as they are incidental benefits. A long time ago sales incentives existed for OKW were buyers got park tickets until 1999 for half the occupancy of their villa. I think some other smaller sales incentives existed for VGC where it was a free AP for a year, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter