Purchasing DVC with cash

Jlnodolski

Earning My Ears
If I want to buy into DVC and pay cash, how does that work? What forms of payments do they accept? Do I pay a deposit first and then remainder due after? *I will be purchasing direct from Disney and NOT resale.
Also, what is the point discount for home resorts?
Is there a discount for booking cash rooms?
Can I pay extra for housekeeping services?
Is there any advantage to buying in before the month of January ends?

Last edited:
You can pay the entire thing with a CC through Disney. Resale, you can put some down on CC...the rest has to be a bank check or wire transfer,

Direct and resale prices are all different depending on resort, Disney only offers incentives for resorts in active sales, which right now, is RIV and AUL. The more points you buy, the better the incentive. These are set levels and you can’t get Disney to make a deal beyond that.

Resale it’s all negotiable. If you find one you like, you can make an offer for less than asking price and sometimes, an owner will accept or counter.

Yes, you can pay for daily mousekeeping. The price is determined by room size...think it’s between $30 to $50 a day.

Sometimes, you can get a discount on a DVC villa through MS. It is 25% and is not always available. You do not get any discount when booking on cash through Disney for being a DVC member. if

If you purchase before the end of January, every UY you buy will have 2019 points. If you wait until February, March through Dec will have 2019 points and Feb UY will only have 2020 points to start. Some people call these "bonus" points, but they are just the points you are entitled to get.

If you purchase before the end of January, every UY you buy will have 2019 points. If you wait until February, March through Dec will have 2019 points and Feb UY will only have 2020 points to start. Some people call these "bonus" points, but they are just the points you are entitled to get.
Ok, I’m a bit confused. Which months should I buy to get the most points up front? Thanks!

When buying direct, you always get current UY points. Right now, we are in the 2019 UY for each one. They sell Feb, March, April, June, Aug, Sept, Oct, and Dec.

If buying Rivera, for Feb UY, you get points beginning with 2020 UY...they did not sell 2019 UY points. If you choose any other UY, you’d get 2019 UY points until you enter the 2020 UY for that month. So, right now, if you buy direct and say, get a March UY, you’d get 2019 points that could be banked, and March 1st, the 2020 points kick in. It would be true for any other UY.

If you buy direct for any other resort, they have to have 2019 points in the UY available,,,since those resorts are no longer in active sales. if they don’t have those points, they won’t sell you that UY.

March UY works well if traveling in spring, summer, and most of fall. it is not the best if you travel in Dec, Jan, or Feb because if you Had to cancel or change a trip scheduled then, you would have no time to use up points.

I bought RIV at the end of October with an Aug UY and got 2019 points. So, if you are buying now, as long as you choose any UY but Feb, you will be entitled to 2019 UY points, but will pay dues only starting with 2020 UY as those fees are based on calendar year,

If I want to buy into DVC and pay cash, how does that work? What forms of payments do they accept? Do I pay a deposit first and then remainder due after? *I will be purchasing direct from Disney and NOT resale

You can use a CC for all of it. Usually you put down a deposit and have 30 days to pay the balance. That way it you need to split up the payments due to cc limits, you have plenty of time.

If I want to buy into DVC and pay cash, how does that work? What forms of payments do they accept?

You can use a CC for all of it. Usually you put down a deposit and have 30 days to pay the balance. That way it you need to split up the payments due to cc limits, you have plenty of time.

Even if you have the cash, pay with a credit card that can give you a good incentive then pay it back right away. With direct, the 30 days to pay your balance is also negotiable. Just let your Guide know beforehand and they will work with you. I was able to extend it to 45 days and have heard that 60 days is also possible. Within that time, I was able to apply for a cash-back credit card with a nice bonus to offset the cost.

When buying direct, you always get current UY points. Right now, we are in the 2019 UY for each one. They sell Feb, March, April, June, Aug, Sept, Oct, and Dec.

If buying Rivera, for Feb UY, you get points beginning with 2020 UY...they did not sell 2019 UY points. If you choose any other UY, you’d get 2019 UY points until you enter the 2020 UY for that month. So, right now, if you buy direct and say, get a March UY, you’d get 2019 points that could be banked, and March 1st, the 2020 points kick in. It would be true for any other UY.

If you buy direct for any other resort, they have to have 2019 points in the UY available,,,since those resorts are no longer in active sales. if they don’t have those points, they won’t sell you that UY.

March UY works well if traveling in spring, summer, and most of fall. it is not the best if you travel in Dec, Jan, or Feb because if you Had to cancel or change a trip scheduled then, you would have no time to use up points.

I bought RIV at the end of October with an Aug UY and got 2019 points. So, if you are buying now, as long as you choose any UY but Feb, you will be entitled to 2019 UY points, but will pay dues only starting with 2020 UY as those fees are based on calendar year,
Ok that makes a Lot of sense! Thanks so much!!

Even if you have the cash, pay with a credit card that can give you a good incentive then pay it back right away. With direct, the 30 days to pay your balance is also negotiable. Just let your Guide know beforehand and they will work with you. I was able to extend it to 45 days and have heard that 60 days is also possible. Within that time, I was able to apply for a cash-back credit card with a nice bonus to offset the cost.
Ok that’s awesome! I’m glad I have some time to work with!

If I want to buy into DVC and pay cash, how does that work? What forms of payments do they accept? Do I pay a deposit first and then remainder due after? *I will be purchasing direct from Disney and NOT resale.
Also, what is the point discount for home resorts?
Is there a discount for booking cash rooms?
Is there any advantage to buying in before the month of January ends?
Jmho....

1) If you want daily housekeeping, DVC May not be the bargain that you expect.
2) If you’re wondering about cash discounts, perhaps you’re not buying enough points.
3) In general, it sounds like a bit more research is warranted on your part.

Again, that’s just my 2-bit advice.

To add on to Maistre's comments. What do you want from housekeeping specifically? Or what are you worried about?

You can pay for housekeeping and starts at $30 and goes up to $75 per day depending on size of room.

Personally I travel a ton and Disney is the only location where I even have someone clean my room while I am staying at a location. Normal process for me is to put a DND on the door when I arrive and take it off when I leave the last morning. The 1 full cleaning for a 8+ night stay is more than enough and getting towel service on day 4 is also enough (although you can request extra towels for a charge $10-$30 I think it is).

To add on to Maistre's comments. What do you want from housekeeping specifically? Or what are you worried about?

You can pay for housekeeping and starts at $30 and goes up to $75 per day depending on size of room.

Personally I travel a ton and Disney is the only location where I even have someone clean my room while I am staying at a location. Normal process for me is to put a DND on the door when I arrive and take it off when I leave the last morning. The 1 full cleaning for a 8+ night stay is more than enough and getting towel service on day 4 is also enough (although you can request extra towels for a charge $10-$30 I think it is).

The towel package used to be $6...but you can now request extra for free at any time.

I was able to pay the deposit via CC and then the balance was split into 3 additional CC payments: (30 days, 60 days, and 90 days from the deposit).

How long ago did you buy? They were pretty set on "balance in 30 days" when we bought late last year. I didn't really push them for more time though.

Ok, I’m a bit confused. Which months should I buy to get the most points up front? Thanks!
You should choose a Use Year that is convenient for your usual travel dates, if possible. Are you familiar with what UY is and how it influences bookings and cancellations? There is a thread in the resource centre dedicated to explaining the concept.

You need to understand use year and banking windows and decide your use year on your expected travel plans. It’s a long commitment and they payoff of extra points now is unlikely to be worth the inconvenience of a use year that doesn’t fit your schedule for decades to come.

I'd also add. I bought mine direct from Disney on a card with 0% APR for 18 months and then paid it off in those 18 months and paid 0 interest. If you can pay it off quickly thats a good way to avoid paying any interest at all but still financing it. I signed up for a card right before I made the purchase

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!