Purchasing for AKV Concierge?

Why would Disney do that? They know the CL and value rooms are the most sought after with the AKVs? That sounds like a real disservice to the owners at AKVs.
Disney is the biggest owner at any resort. And like any other owner they have a right to book whatever room they want at 11 months.

Some of WDW booking values as CRO is probably sleight of hand, a way to offer a steeper discount without overtly doing so.

My understanding is that WDW routinely overbooks rooms and makes “upgrades” as needed as a way to balance out their bookings. Just because WDW is offering access to a value room CRO doesn’t necessarily mean they plan to use that room.

And if they do, and you, as a DVC member, are offered a 1BR Savanna over a value studio on arrival as a result, probably both you and WDW CRO would view that as a win.

Some of WDW booking values as CRO is probably sleight of hand, a way to offer a steeper discount without overtly doing so.

My understanding is that WDW routinely overbooks rooms and makes “upgrades” as needed as a way to balance out their bookings. Just because WDW is offering access to a value room CRO doesn’t necessarily mean they plan to use that room.

And if they do, and you, as a DVC member, are offered a 1BR Savanna over a value studio on arrival as a result, probably both you and WDW CRO would view that as a win.
Agree!

IMO, this is just a clever way for Disney to get something for the empty standard and savanna rooms they have (no matter the source of those rooms. Could be from Members trading points for a cruise or other option, or just points Disney owns).

By offering value and then upgrading the cash guest to standard or savanna, Disney doesn't have to discount the higher cost rooms, but still gets some cash from them. They probably get more from this strategy than they would from discounting the higher cost rooms, and they don't have the risk of cannibalizing from their own customers who were willing to pay the higher prices for standard or savanna rooms to begin with.

They are probably reserving the room type that they know they can sell (rent).
Oh, of course. I just feel bad for those who own at AKV and can't get a CL room with their points. These should be some of the last rooms they rent out for cash.

Agree!

IMO, this is just a clever way for Disney to get something for the empty standard and savanna rooms they have (no matter the source of those rooms. Could be from Members trading points for a cruise or other option, or just points Disney owns).

By offering value and then upgrading the cash guest to standard or savanna, Disney doesn't have to discount the higher cost rooms, but still gets some cash from them. They probably get more from this strategy than they would from discounting the higher cost rooms, and they don't have the risk of cannibalizing from their own customers who were willing to pay the higher prices for standard or savanna rooms to begin with.

I wonder if the members trading out hold the original “Jambo” points? I know there is no difference now, but I’ve got 2 AKV deeds (Jambo and Kidani), and I’d hate knowing that trading out my Kidani points means another member can’t book a Jambo value room.

If you don't mind waiting for a cancel you might get it. Currently one is avail for 1 bedroom for March, but that is rare and they do book fast.

I wonder if the members trading out hold the original “Jambo” points? I know there is no difference now, but I’ve got 2 AKV deeds (Jambo and Kidani), and I’d hate knowing that trading out my Kidani points means another member can’t book a Jambo value room.
What do you mean another member can't book if you trade out?

If you purchase AKV under the belief you will usually be able to get club level or value studios or 2BRs at 11 months out, you will be seriously disappointed as an owner.

Bought AKV in Sept 2019 and planned for backups based on statements like yours. Since then...

Nov 2019: First try, snagged a 1BR Value for a week in Sept 2020 (which I just cancelled and am sure will make someone else very happy)

Dec 2019: Booked a 2BR Savanna view for May 2020 for 2 days right before Memorial Day to rent out.

Dec 2019: Grabbed a value studio for Nov 2020 “Jersey Week” / Christmas Party launch.

Jan 2020: Just booked a 2BR for May 2020 for 5 days over Memorial Day weekend.

No walking involved. I had to waitlist one day in November that took 3 days to go through.

I haven’t tried for a concierge yet, but I’m not sure I see a problem. Perhaps I should start playing the lottery?

Bought AKV in Sept 2019 and planned for backups based on statements like yours. Since then...

Nov 2019: First try, snagged a 1BR Value for a week in Sept 2020 (which I just cancelled and am sure will make someone else very happy)

Dec 2019: Booked a 2BR Savanna view for May 2020 for 2 days right before Memorial Day to rent out.

Dec 2019: Grabbed a value studio for Nov 2020 “Jersey Week” / Christmas Party launch.

Jan 2020: Just booked a 2BR for May 2020 for 5 days over Memorial Day weekend.

No walking involved. I had to waitlist one day in November that took 3 days to go through.

I haven’t tried for a concierge yet, but I’m not sure I see a problem. Perhaps I should start playing the lottery?

The 2 bedrooms being referred to were value 2 bedrooms Since if studios are gone so are 2 bedrooms. Getting Savannah or standard are not that difficult at all.

Nothing is impossible, just difficult. Going in with appropriate expectations is always good. Getting hard to get is the bonus

Booking a cash stay for the summer since I'm out of points (already got 3 weeks booked this year) - surprise, surprise - I booked a cash AKV Value Studio.

I always try and get villas for cash stays because I don't want to pay for parking, but not going to lie, I am so hoping for an upgrade to a regular (larger) Savannah view room.

Booking a cash stay for the summer since I'm out of points (already got 3 weeks booked this year) - surprise, surprise - I booked a cash AKV Value Studio.

I always try and get villas for cash stays because I don't want to pay for parking, but not going to lie, I am so hoping for an upgrade to a regular (larger) Savannah view room.

Generally, the cash booking for "Value" gets upgraded. They seem to use "Value" as a listing to allow for a lower cash price, but then upgrade at check in.

Generally, the cash booking for "Value" gets upgraded. They seem to use "Value" as a listing to allow for a lower cash price, but then upgrade at check in.

I’m hoping so. It was a good deal either way. $300/night for a deluxe room during peak summer time. Even if I rented points for about $19pp, I’d be spending the same for a Jambo or Kidani savannah view studio (only AKV studios available for my dates)

Just wanted to do a follow up and even with the new lower point requirements for Club level studios for May 2021. Today I was able to get my foot inside the door at my first attempt.

Not saying thats it’s easy peasy for all months of the year but seen from my side it’s as easy for May 2021 as it was for May 2020.

I admit I bought my small akv contract to use only at akv for club level studios or value studios.

Just wanted to do a follow up and even with the new lower point requirements for Club level studios for May 2021. Today I was able to get my foot inside the door at my first attempt.

Not saying thats it’s easy peasy for all months of the year but seen from my side it’s as easy for May 2021 as it was for May 2020.

I admit I bought my small akv contract to use only at akv for club level studios or value studios.

I thought that Values went lower and Concierge went higher again?

I thought that Values went lower and Concierge went higher again?

The 2021 charts that exist now have all rooms going to lower points in May (and June to mid-Aug) and rising for Fall to Jan time. It is the charts initially created for 2020 at the end of 2018 that had Cl going higher and value going lower many times of year. It was those charts that raised studios and 1BRs (other than value) year round, which was DVC's attempt at fixing the over-demand of studios, caused by its oversell of studios over a ten year period, resulting from DVD's raising the purchase price 100% during that time while lowering the minimum point purchase to 100 points and at many times 50 or 75. DVC removed those 2020 proposed charts, without admitting any wrongdoing, after members vociferously spoke out against its actions.

Last edited:
This is sort of off topic, but do you know when booking a 2 BR at AKV whether you will get a lock off or an actual 2 BR?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter