Purchasing new camera gear through greentoe

havoc315

DIS Veteran
So this is an unpaid advertisement/endorsement.

Over the last few weeks, I've been completely rebuilding my camera system. Selling off my Nikon system, and buying a new Sony system. While I often will buy used, a lot of the stuff in Sony is pretty recent, and I decided to explore buying new gear..... Specifically, a Sony A7riii, the new pre-ordered 24-105... the very recent 12-24g, and the 55mm/1.8, which is the only somewhat older lens. (I did buy an 85/1.8 simply used because I found a like new on KEH).

Thing is, new cameras and lenses are expensive. Sony in particular has a reputation of being a bit overpriced. And all USA dealers are required to list/advertise the same price.

Some ways to save money: Buy from an out of state retailer can save you being charged sales tax. (Though your home state may require you to report and pay the sales tax later).
You can save with some brands by buying gray market --- Dealing with shady ebay sellers, and you will not get the full manufacturer warranty.

Over the last 3 years, I've used the website greentoe.com with mixed success. They work with multiple camera dealers across the country, to sell off camera gear at below-list prices. The dealers aren't allowed to list/advertise lower prices -- but they are allowed to sell at lower prices. And with a fairly soft camera market, the dealers often find themselves with excess inventory that they want to move.
In the past... it was hit or miss for me. Sometimes, with some lenses/products, they couldn't get me a price any better than the regular listed price. (Especially for a brand new release, or an item in demand).
At other times... I often would save about 5% or more. Not a huge savings, but it was something. And yes, it's legitimate -- you get a receipt from a genuine authorized USA dealer, you get the product shipped within a couple of days, brand new, USA, full manufacturer warranty, etc. Just like buying from B&H... but buy using greentoe as a middle man, they can negotiate a slightly lower unadvertised price.

I found it especially effective this time around, for my transition to Sony.
I placed a "bid" on the A7riii just out of curiosity... In the past, I can place a low ball bid, and they will give me a counter-offer. I was just *considering* the change --- The list pre-order price is $3200. To my surprise, my offer of $2920 was accepted... so now I await my new camera (and I took it as destiny to make the switch... I could have simply cancelled it). So a 9% savings...
Not bad..

Sony 55mm/1.8 -- Amazon price of $999. Amazon also lists a gray marker for $760. I purchased the USA version through greentoe for $845. So a 15% savings.... less than $100 more than the gray market.

I pre-ordered the 24-105/4 -- $1299 on Amazon. I paid $1176. 9% savings.

And finally, I went with the 12-24/4g -- $1700 on Amazon new. I paid $1545 -- 9% savings.
I just received this lens yesterday, it is beautiful, completely new.

So 3 lenses and a camera body.... between 9% and 15% savings off current prices. Not bad.

When I was considering the Nikon D850... I was offered the chance to buy one with about a 4% savings. I've also been offered chances to buy the Sony A7rii and the A9 at surprisingly low prices.

Anyway.... the staff at greentoe asked me to share my experiences online. I'm not being compensated in any way. Just figured this would be useful information to everyone.

And I guess I will get a tiny bit of compensation if you sign up and make a purchase using my referral code:

http://gtoe.me/l/7uMyhRk9Eo

Very interesting. I may have to try that on the Nikon 35mm 1.8 that we discussed to a previous thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter