Purchasing new points directly...

Iestyn5150

Endlessly chasing dots!
Hi all.
I am looking to buy 100 points directly in June with a December use year so as to tally them with my existing December resale points. Just wanted to try and clarify a few points if anyone can help.
Firstly, if I buy them in June 2020 they will effectively be 2019 points as 2020’s points wouldn’t start until December 2020, is that correct?
Secondly, if I then banked those 2019 points they basically become 2020 points yes? With that in mind could I use those banked 2019 points, combined with 2020’s current points and 2021’s borrowed points, for a trip dated September 2021?
Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

All correct. The 2020 dues will also be prorated from the date you buy, so if you buy in June, figure your MFs, will be for About 6 months!

Just to add. Depending on the resort you want to add on at, you might need to go on a waitlist. If you choose Rivera or Aulani there is no wait and you can add on in June as you want.

With a Dec UY, a Sept 2021 trip will fall in your Dec 2020 UY. So you can use banked 2019, current 2020 and borrowed 2021.

Just curious - purchasing 100 points on 2020 use year gives you 100 bonus points for 2019? Can someone explain this a little better?

Just curious - purchasing 100 points on 2020 use year gives you 100 bonus points for 2019? Can someone explain this a little better?

They are not really bonus, but rather one is buying in the calendar year 2020 but the UY one buys is still in its 2019 UY.

Other than Riveria ...which did not offer 2019 UY points for a February UY..all resorts bought today would get 2019 UY because we have not started the 2020 UY yet,

When buying direct, you are entitled to current UY points. But, if when you buy, are are closer to the end of a UY, it gives you double the points to use right away.

Say you buy 100 points at RIV today with a Marcy UY, you would get 2019 UY points and then on March 1st, your 2020 UY points begin,

Disney will let you bank those points..even though you are beyond the deadline..so that you’d have 200 points to use for trips now during that March UY.

They are not really bonus, but rather one is buying in the calendar year 2020 but the UY one buys is still in its 2019 UY.

Other than Riveria ...which did not offer 2019 UY points for a February UY..all resorts bought today would get 2019 UY because we have not started the 2020 UY yet,

When buying direct, you are entitled to current UY points. But, if when you buy, are are closer to the end of a UY, it gives you double the points to use right away.

Say you buy 100 points at RIV today with a Marcy UY, you would get 2019 UY points and then on March 1st, your 2020 UY points begin,

Disney will let you bank those points..even though you are beyond the deadline..so that you’d have 200 points to use for trips now during that March UY.
Thank you!

Read your post above about MFs but want to make sure I understand. In this case, it sounds like aren't actually paying full price on the 2019 MFs - is that correct? Does that mean if you bought right before the deadline you effectively get the 2019 points for "free" (versus paying $8.31 * 100)?

Read your post above about MFs but want to make sure I understand. In this case, it sounds like aren't actually paying full price on the 2019 MFs - is that correct? Does that mean if you bought right before the deadline you effectively get the 2019 points for "free" (versus paying $8.31 * 100)?

Yes, MFs are based on ownership and calendar year. So if you buy in 2020, you would only owe MFs from the date of purchase.

But, you are buying and entitled to points in the current UY you buy. So, the do seem “free”. Disney guides will sometimes even call them that too.

So, if someone decides in February and wants a March UY, then the dues would be 11 months for 2020, even though you get points Starting in 2019.

Remember, if looking for a sold out resort, they won’t sell you a UY that is out of 2019 points, since they require a lot of those points from ROFR and some of those contracts are void of those,

But, if one is buying RIV or Aulani today, you’d get the 2019 points for sure.

Last edited:
Yes, MFs are based on ownership and calendar year. So if you buy in 2020, you would only owe MFs from the date of purchase.

But, you are buying and entitled to points in the current UY you buy. So, the do seem “free”. Disney guides will sometimes even call them that too.

So, if someone decides in February and wants a March UY, then the dues would be 11 months for 2020 even though you get points Starting in 2019.

Remember, if looking for a sold out resort, they won’t sell you a UY that is out of 2019 points, since they require a lot of those points from ROFR and some of those contracts are void of those,

But, if one is buying RIV or Aulani today, you’d get the 2019 points for sure.

Thanks for the info, good to know!

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter