Putting TRUST in Home Health

Forevermarypoppins

DIS Veteran
Recently in the news I read of a Nursing Home resident calling out for help while multiple persons employed "laughed" at him. I am sick to my stomach even typing it now. If multiple NH employess can treat someone so cruelly how do you trust one person alone with your loved one(s)?

My family is again in a situation where the choice of having Home health aides come into the home need to be decided. Currently, both parents live with sister. I am so uncomfortable thinking of having 24 hr care for them. My sister works 3rd shift and she absolutely needs to be able to sleep. She also has her own health issues. I think my biggest fear is having someone there overnight while my mom would be sleeping and no one else present. I would be more comfortable finding a senior living establishment, And then you hear about the above news story and I feel it's a NO WIN situation no matter.

My dad will be released from the hospital later this week to a NH for "hopefully" some rehab to regain strength. Then we're considering starting Hospice because the health problems will only worsen and ultimately... repeat hospitalizations do not do much as far as "recovery".

And my mom has Dementia and that adds another stressful dimension.
My sister and I are starting to discuss the next "new normal"
to make both of them SAFE and comfortable.
We both need to keep our jobs, we've both already have used a lot of FMLA paid time. Neither of us would be able to quit our jobs.

."
They have no long term care insurance, have never owned a home and can not afford Assisted Living.
I sometimes feel, if they had no children, their care would somehow be met by Social Workers, but right now, everyone leaves it all to us to find out info. They suggest places they could go. We call, none of them can take them ( no $$). Senior living ( over+55) not a good fit, we are an :active community and it sounds like your parents have tremendous needs....blah blah."

I'd have a hard time too. I'd say that you probably get what you pay for, and just check the heck out of references. Go through a reputable organization, read patient reviews, make sure they are insured, bonded etc., do interviews to make sure they're a good fit... it's a job interview with some pretty heavy stakes so do a lot of research.

Add:

Yes, we've had Home Health aides before for periods of time. I could grade them from A+ to D.
Some love to clean the home and engage in conversations, other I'd find sleeping right in the chair next to my dad on the couch, I had to SHOUT to wake her up( on more than one occasion)

All I can say is do your research and make the best decision you can.
Here in California, we have Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly. Located in residential areas, each has individual bedrooms, and shared living and dining areas, 24 hour care, and no more than 6 residents. They are much less expensive that Nursing Homes, about $3,000 a month per person. Do you have those in your state?

The best gift my mom gave us was buying long term care insurance, so the cost of care wasn't a part of the equation, just finding the best care for her.
It is why we have long term care insurance too.

It similar to hiring a nanny/babysitter for a new baby. Interview several until you find a good fit and check references. You could also get a nanny cam just for added peace of mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts