QS, TS, Holiday Snacks, New Places, & Old Favorites-Dec 2017-Completed 4/19

Discussion in 'Disney Dining Reviews' started by Raeven, Dec 19, 2017.

1. disneyAndi14

disneyAndi14 DIS Veteran

I have wanted to try all of the places you reviewed. Have you tried the Mickey dome cake at Amorettes? I think we will try it in February, The Polite Pig is getting some good reviews now. Initially it was not. The seasonal cake looks so cute sorry it didn’t taste good.

Raeven likes this.
  2. kastoney

kastoney Disney foodie served with a side of sarcasm

Isn't the Landry's card just wonderful!!!!! We've had the exact same experience as you a few times now and no chance I'd ever go back to an ADR there.

These look great, but sorry it was so salty. I'm sure that was not pleasant to eat.

Glad to hear this turned out so much better for you this time around. Jason has contemplated getting this a few times, but the asian options usually end up pulling him in. I hope he does order it one day so I can try it, as there is no way I could order anything but the tuna nachos here

Ahhhhh, desert perfection!!!!

OMG you are taking me down nostalgia street. I'd totally forgotten about this restaurant. We had one that was only open for a few years, but from what I recall they were trying to jump on the Outback bandwagon with a wilderness motiff. And of course a talking tree :-)

Oh, these look so good. We got some poutine at Nomads on our trip and this looks infinitely better.

Sorry this was such a bust. It looks gorgeous. Too made it didn't taste the same.

Raeven likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

Yay! First real poutine! One of us! One of us! :) Glad you liked it. It's really an excellent combination of savoury flavours :)

This is disappointing because it's so pretty!! But it sounds really strange the way you've described it. Gross. :(

Raeven likes this.
  5. suse66

suse66 Mickey Bars should be a daily food group!

Just getting caught up with your report now! A definite WOW to the mac'n'cheese at Homecomin', that looks amazing! Really too bad about your experience at Ale and Compass, I would have been so frustrated. And the waitress's weird behaviour with the cheque, what was that about? Even though I am Canadian, I have never tried Poutine. I just can't get past the gravy part, lol! Polite Pig looks really good too. That dessert at Amorette's certainly did not live up to expectations at all.

Raeven likes this.
  6. Neverland_Girl

Neverland_Girl Mouseketeer

I loved the gravy and fries but I just couldn't get on board with the cheese curds. Too squeaky.

This looks so pretty!! I can see how it would taste gummy and chewy though. Such a waste of a good cake!

Raeven likes this.
  7. wdwnut61

wdwnut61 DIS Veteran

Those fries looked so good still haven't tried the Polite Pig
    How disappointing about the Ornamental Dome cake it looked so pretty but gummy yuck
    The holiday display is pretty

Raeven likes this.
  8. allend

allend Earning My Ears

Following!!

Raeven likes this.
  9. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

I might get kicked out of Canada for divulging this...but sometimes I make poutine at home with mozzarella, and I think I kind of prefer it that way. Shhh! Don't tell! :P A lot of non-speciality places around here make it with mozza, too, since cheese curds aren't as readily available. So it's definitely an option if you're not a cheese curd fan.

MiracleCream and Raeven like this.
  10. Neverland_Girl

Neverland_Girl Mouseketeer

Haha I won't tell Trudeau on you! I'm pretty sure that's basically what disco fries are but I could be wrong. Those aren't a big thing in PA. I do want to try the poutine at Le Cellier this year.

MeghanEmily and Raeven like this.
  11. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Not yet, but that one looks good. I've had the Avant Garde, the seasonal Christmas cake from last year, and the seasonal Christmas cake from this year. I did see that initially it didn't get good reviews, Josh always thinks it smells so good when we walk past though that, that was his first choice when we were each grabbing our own food. The outside was so cute, that's the first bad cake I've had from there though.

Yes! Josh kept saying we were VIPs :rotfl:

It was not :crazy2:

It's really good! Ask for the smoked gouda on it if they don't offer it.

Yes :lovestruc

The talking tree was the first thing I thought of when I thought of that restaurant, I guess it made quite an impression on me as a child...or traumatized me. :laughing: I was talking to my dad about how we went when I was a kid the other day, and he told me he went back once with his girlfriend and the server said his name was Magneto :rotfl:

Yours looked good too though!

:banana: It did!

It was so strange! The outside being all gummy really threw me off.

:thumbsup2

Their mac and cheese is amazing! But the Ale and Compass was frustrating. I don't know what that was all about.

Josh really liked Polite Pig! Oh no I've never had a bad dessert from there until this trip.

The taste was a little different, but it didn't take long to get used to.

It was such a strange texture to choose for the cake. Couple that with the bourbon flavoring and it just really didn't taste right.

They were good! I haven't tried the Polite Pig either, but Josh made me really curious.

Yeah gummy and cake do not go well together :crazy2:

I love that they made the DS sea monster too :laughing:

Thanks for following along! :wave:

:eek: I'm just kidding any kind of cheese is good on fries. This year at HHN they had pizza fries which I didn't get any of but sometimes I make my own at home with pizza cheese and sauce on fries :rotfl:I don't know anywhere around here that makes poutine with cheese curds, it's why I waited till we went to DS to try it for the first time because most poutine around here isn't even close to the same thing.

I had disco fries from a local tex mex place and it was basically their cheese fries with turkey gravy on top, but it's possibly they make them differently elsewhere. It didn't taste at all like the poutine in DS, but that seems to be the only version I can ever find in NY. The poutine at Le Cellier looks good too!

MeghanEmily and wdwnut61 like this.
  12. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

My grandmother got one of the poutines from Le Cellier on our last trip. I think it was the Montreal Poutine. It looked really good!

Raeven likes this.
  13. buzzrelly

buzzrelly DIS Veteran

That looks good! We wanted to try poutine when we were there but never got around to it :sad1:

Ew! So pretty, but sounds gross :crazy2:

Raeven likes this.
  14. isabellea

isabellea Combining beach and Disney!

I'm usually a lurker but when I saw your poutine I had to comment since I'm from Quebec, birthplace of poutine! Finally a poutine that looks like a real one at WDW! Cheese curds are fresh cheese. We often buy them fresh of the day and they are so good (they are usually sold at room temperature if very fresh -- once stored in the fridge they are not as good). A poutine with grated or cubed cheese is sacrilegious! lol.

[​IMG]

Arielle71, Susan R and Raeven like this.
  15. klacey1

klacey1 DIS Veteran

That poutine looks bomb! I wish I had an opportunity to try it, but on our next visit, we're only going to DS once and it's for dinner at STK, so I doubt I'll be able to fit it in. :(

Raeven likes this.
  16. Jenny Sanders

Jenny Sanders DIS Veteran

Hi Raeven! Polite Pig is also on my radar...Sorry the dessert at Amorettes wasn't good. I'm on the fence about that place...I seem to read a lot of negative reviews...It seems the cakes look better than they taste...

Raeven likes this.
  17. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Maybe I should get this before our trip. I didn't for September because our birthdays don't work to use the rewards lol.
    :crazy2:
    Cheese! Sounds delicious!
    Yummm... I love poutine.
    It's nice that they adjusted the price. So many places don't.
    Bummer about this. It's so pretty!
    This was so neat, I saw it through the doors and drug Zack in to see. We haven't had anything from here yet.

Raeven likes this.
  18. MeghanEmily

MeghanEmily DIS Veteran

I'm NOT saying I lied about my birthday. Of course not. Never. But they will not check your ID at any point to prove you chose the correct birthday month. It doesn't matter to them since they only have to offer you one birthday reward a year regardless. Just in case birthday fraud appeals to you. ...It totally didn't appeal to me. At all. :rolleyes:

Raeven and amalone1013 like this.
  19. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

I mean... wait... I think someone's birthday is in January! Or our dating anniversary is... that's practically a birthday right?

Raeven and MeghanEmily like this.
  20. ocdisney08

ocdisney08 Mouseketeer

I got this dessert to take back to eat at the resort. I also really disliked this dessert and threw it out. Way too boozy and overpowering to me, but I don’t remember anything gummy. Again, sometimes I avoid the outside, especially any sort of fondant. I always need to buy a variety of desserts each time I visit Amorettes, so thankfully I had 2 more desserts in the resort minifridge to eat instead!

Raeven likes this.
  21. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Maybe next time! I went on several trips where I kept telling myself I'd try but I just never got around to it before this trip.

Yes exactly!

It's so hard to find real poutine around here, (ones made with cheese curds are pretty much non existent) but I knew I wanted to try the real thing if I was trying it for the first time. Most the "poutines" Disney has area really just fries with stuff on them, but I was glad to see they had the real thing to try!

It was! Ooo I've always wanted to try STK, let me know how you like it!

Hi! Yeah I think we'll end up doing Polite Pig sometime this year, there's so many choices. I think it depends on what you get. That's the first bad one I've had, but with the seasonal ones I don't usually get to see any reviews before I try them. Last year's seasonal cake was so good that I've stopped at Amorettes on every trip since then. But if the cakes don't look good...they do have wine slushies :drinking1 I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I've heard they're good!

You should! If only for the quick seating. If you have Landrys restaurants around where you live too it could be really helpful there as well.

Always!

:thumbsup2

Yeah it was nice!

Definitely, I've never had a bad cake from there either until I had this.

:rotfl:

It's true they don't check your ID. I usually sign up Josh for things because his birthday is during a month we go on vacation and mine isn't.

Yeah it was really boozy! The bourbon taste really hit me the minute I got into the actual cake part. It was definitely a good idea to skip the outside and buy multiples!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018