Delete Thread

I'm only like a month behind (and 7 pages :sad2:), but I'm finally here!

Moonshine Mash
Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice, and simple syrup.

644eeab2-5338-4024-987b-421e4a6b3353-jpeg.289596

This was...not good :crazy2:. I couldn’t taste the watermelon at all. I had ordered this because I like watermelon, and all I could really taste was some of the lime.

I LOVE this drink. So much. I might have had....a few on our last trip.

Finally we got to dessert! Josh was too full, but I had been saving some room for a very special seasonal dessert. You do have to ask for it though, it wasn’t on any menu nor did the waitress mention it. This seems kind of strange, but they did know what I was talking about.

Pumpkin pie bread pudding with caramel sauce:

eb23eb95-4781-4c78-9e43-1cd4dccf2875-jpeg.289603

I've never heard of this! Mind you, I wouldn't have ordered it since I don't like pumpkin, but still.

this is the only time I’ve even made it to dessert at Homecomin’

Gurlll - chocolate pecan pie. Trust me. That thing is heavenly. Or the Shine Cake. I might have half of a Shine cake currently sitting in my deep freeze, since the chef at Homecomin' figured we needed an entire cake for the two of us....

I'm a nerd, so I always enjoy numbers. I thought about going adding it to mine to see how we did with TiW... was it worth it with the 20% AP discounts?? Dun dun duhhhhh :rotfl:

I had to jump in on this comment - I insisted on taking pictures of all our receipts, and then I wrote down the cost of our TIW card and subtracted all the discounts I received with it to make sure I had broke even by purchasing it :thumbsup2 I did the same thing with my annual pass (since I had the one valid on both coasts, so it was insanely expensive). I'm a huge numbers nerd too!

When we finally finished the meal the waitress wouldn't put the check down, and just kept holding out her hand and asking for my card.

Weird. I had a few waitresses who kept asking me for my card on our last trip, but we pay in cash for all our meals at Disney - that always seems to shock people these days!

I will say I know being late is our fault, but I don't think we should've had to wait an hour. In an hour I could've easily gotten a reservation somewhere else last minute and gotten in, we stuck it out because of the CP package, and because I was curious about the new restaurant. However our service after being seated was just plain bad.

What a terrible experience! Hopefully it was just because the restaurant is new and they are still working out the kinks...

For us with the only 3 dishes we tried (and a drink on another day), the food at Festival of the Holidays fell a bit flat for us.

I definitely think Disneyland won the Festival of the Holidays Food booths this year! We had some really great stuff from there!

Boeuf Bourguignon, linguine
Beef braised in Cabernet with baby onions and carrots, served with linguine pasta

9IoRCoxl.jpg

My beef was really nice and tender except for one chunk of it that was very chewy and fatty. I just skipped that piece. I didn't really get why the dish came with completely plain pasta though, to give it any flavor I mixed it in with the beef and sauce, but overall it still felt plain and tasted like it should've come with something on it. Instead of pasta they could probably just add more meat to the dish and take out the pasta entirely.

Yeah, that pasta just looks so out of place? Why not mashed potatoes?

Yak Attack
Mango Daiquiri, Don Q Cristal Rum and Wild Berry Flavors

24ea2c48-0bbb-4735-ae4f-b9b5dc4198d7-jpeg.293346

This sounds (and looks) fantastic!

Fried Wontons
Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle

2f2d633b-b0d2-49c8-9f5f-18d842f0d677-jpeg.293351

I still haven't tried these, but I want to so bad!

I need to get a Landry's card, Bubba Gump's is opening their first Canadian location in my city in a few months (not that I loved it the one time I went there in Anaheim, but I know I'll end up at this new one at least once or twice).

vKrHHMRl.jpg

I loved it! Although this is my first time having poutine so I didn't have anything to compare it to. (Well actually I once had Disco Fries but those are not the same thing and this was way better). It was a little strange at first as usually I associate gravy with turkey gravy, and I've never had cheese curds, but I ended up really liking it.

You're pretty much a Canadian now :)

I might get kicked out of Canada for divulging this...but sometimes I make poutine at home with mozzarella, and I think I kind of prefer it that way. Shhh! Don't tell! :P A lot of non-speciality places around here make it with mozza, too, since cheese curds aren't as readily available. So it's definitely an option if you're not a cheese curd fan.

Coming from a small town, all the restaurants in my hometown served poutine with shredded cheese, I think I was in my teens before trying cheese curds :sad2:. I still make it with shredded cheese myself though haha.

Just caught up on your report! I love how you're breaking down what you expected to spend and what you actually spent. We haven't eaten at Homecomin yet. I know things are pricey at WDW, but that seems extra pricey. Do you think it's worth it considering how many other restaurants there are to try? I know my husband would love it. We did the Boathouse for the first time for my birthday on our trip this past September. It was okay, but not as good as I was hoping. I'm not in a rush to go back there. We did the Polite Pig on our December trip with my son, his wife, and my two little grandsons. Everyone really liked their meals there. The only thing I didn't care for was that it was kind of hard to find a table. We haven't eaten at Chefs de France in years, but your meals have me wanting to go back soon, especially for that French Onion Soup! Too bad your breakfast wasn't good at Ale & Compass. We've had breakfast & dinner when it use to be Captain's Grille, and those meals were just okay. Nothing to write home about. We tried the Poutine on our September trip for the first time, too! It wasn't quite what I was expecting, but was good. We also had the Latin Dog & the house made pretzel braid at BB Wolfs, and those were really really good. Can't wait to read the rest!

Oh boy, sorry your Boathouse food and Pecos were not very good. That is a pet peeve of mine with the QS places especially in the resorts, the food is always cold by the time you get to the table ugh! We have had hot and fresh nachos at Pecos so I guess it is hit or miss.

We enjoyed the Boathouse last year, I had the crab cakes and very good, I remember the bread being very tasty. I hope your food starts to improve for you two. Why is Disney so inconsistent? They need to work on that definitely!

Sorry Pecos wasn't such a good experience for you. I do love that they have the mobile ordering, though odd you can't note allergies on it. Even odder that they serve kids and adults different beef and only one is GF :confused3 Glad to hear they remedied it for you though and the meal was decent, albeit cold. Speaking of cold, i thought Pecos was inside. Was it just cold inside? We've never actually eaten there.

A very unhelpful guy who was just hanging around (waiting for his food) decided to get involved and inform me of course tortilla chips are GF...

Jeez! Thanks for the tip, buddy! Also, sometimes tortilla chips are fried in shared fryers, so if you're someone who really has to worry about cross contamination then they can still not be considered GF, dude! He didn't work there. He didn't know the menu or preparation. Ugh. People are dumb.

I also knew while we were eating that if the regular food was cold the churros would be ice by the time I got to them, and they were. They were also dry and stale tasting.

Aww that's so disappointing! The little holiday sprinkles were cute, but that sounds really disappointing.

I definitely think it's better than some of the other QS in MK, but it's still a little pricey for food that's just alright so I don't feel like you're really getting your money's worth. Especially because we know Disney can do QS better since there's amazing QS in DS, some of the hotels, and in other parks.

100%

Bummer about Pecos Bills. We like Pecos Bills but only in comparison to all the other Quick Service in Magic Kingdom...

I can't wait to try out the mobile ordering this trip!

I'm finally catching up on like, 7 of your reviews lol, and I thought I quoted some from your Chefs review but I guess not. We've only been there once and it was back in 2012. I've wanted to go again but Steve doesn't really care to, so we don't. If we did I'd get what you got so it's disappointing to see totally plain pasta! The bread and soup do look delicious though :goodvibes

Yak Attack
Mango Daiquiri, Don Q Cristal Rum and Wild Berry Flavors
I've had this, delicious!

Lettuce Cups
Minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, Saigon Haison sauce, crisp lettuce cups
Normally I love lettuce cups and since we're planning to eat here in March I considered trying these. I also love salt but knowing they may already be too salty without me adding my own, I'll rethink my choice.............

Ornament Dome Cake
Chocolate chiffon cake, dark chocolate bourbon mousse, and marshmallow hot chocolate mousse.
Ugh, nothing worse than picking a dessert for it's beauty and having it not be delicious! In my experience the fancier something looks the less good it is. I've only been to Amorette's once and it was just Chris and I, so I want Ricky and Steve to go there. I'm planning a bit more time in DS in March so maybe we'll get a chance.

I did love Amorettes Christmas display of DS though:
Very pretty :)

When we got there we were brought bread. This was the best bread service ever
Looks good! The one time I ate there we didn't get bread, I assume because of our lunch choices?

These were super chewy, not cooked well, and the second one was almost completely fat. I ended up maybe eating half of one. And I know for $14 you can’t expect the best cut of steak, but I assumed they were good cuts and priced that way because they’re super small. Seriously there’s more meat of a higher quality, and half the price in the Le Cellier filet dish at F&W.
Oh man, so sorry you didn't enjoy these! This is what I had on my one trip there and I LOVED them, the meat was tender and cooked perfect. I would give it another chance sometime!

When we got there we were brought bread. This was the best bread service ever! The rolls were warm, fluffy, and there seemed to be a honey drizzle on top. They were really delicious. My biggest regret of the meal is that I only had 2 rolls to save some room for lunch. So I guess that tells you something about how good this bread was...or how bad my meal was, but we’ll get there soon :rotfl:

GbsODR4l.jpg

Uh, oh! Those rolls do look perfect though :love:

Filet Mignon Sliders (Two Sliders)
Maitre d' Butter served with fresh Cut Fries

LTKjDfwl.jpg

I can tell you in the case of my food....

uSxuTLsl.jpg

:laughing: That's terrible! If they are going to throw around the words, "filet mignon," it better be good!

Less than a month later I had my answer (The Dis did a dining review there)...it’s beer cheese. I’ve never had beer cheese because I don’t like beer so that explains why the taste was unfamiliar to me, but also why I didn’t like it either. I feel like that’s something they should list on the menu or tell people, but maybe I’m the only one that was surprised by the taste.

Ew! I hate beer too! You have quite the palate to be able to discern the taste of alcohol. And you're right, they really should warn people.

He loves Erin Mckenna’s and buys a bunch to nibble on throughout the trip. We usually bring some home, but we had 0 room for Tupperware after packing all those sweaters/sweatshirts :rotfl:

CnGNlPz.gif

:rotfl2: This meme cracks me up! I LOVE Keenan!

However I don't like how dark it can be inside the restaurant. And while I enjoy that the QS in Peco Bill's is different from your typical burgers and nuggets (though I'm pretty sure they have that too), I wouldn't say it's a place I really look forward to eating at. I do think it'll do in a bind, or if you're really craving something off the menu (like some quick nachos). I definitely think it's better than some of the other QS in MK, but it's still a little pricey for food that's just alright so I don't feel like you're really getting your money's worth. Especially because we know Disney can do QS better since there's amazing QS in DS, some of the hotels, and in other parks.

Bummer you had a not so great Peco Bill's experience. We have always enjoyed it there. DS is a big Mexican food fan so we generally hit it every trip.

I found you, yay! I'm so glad you went in December after the September fiasco. I'm enjoying your report so far!

Didn't you get the same thing as me though? I don't know, I've heard from other people they got no bread/different bread.
I did, but Cathy just got a salad (which you would think we'd get bread with?) but maybe it's only with a bigger entrée.............idk lol. We were there earlier too like 12:30 so maybe they start the bread later? Who knows but your bread looked good so wish I got some!

5xz35PWl.jpg

It was chilly out and chilly in there and by the time we grabbed some toppings and sat down 5 mins later the food was pretty much ice cold. :cold: Aside from being cold I didn't think the nachos were bad, but they also aren't anything special either. They're your typical QS nachos.
This looks delicious, that's too bad it was ice cold. Even if it was cold out the food shouldn't have been brought to you cold.

cJkzgLYl.jpg

The burrito did surprise me. Looking at it, it really didn't look appetizing at all, but the beef in it was pretty good and tender, and despite the fact that it was cold in a pinch I'd order it again.
This looks good too. I've never been to this place, but now I'm considering it. Although, maybe on a warmer day.

The holiday churros were very disappointing, (in the back of my mind I think I knew they wouldn't be great even before ordering them, but I wanted to give them a fair chance and I was excited to try a seasonal dessert).
That's too bad they didn't taste good. I love churros. Sounds like they need a microwave for people to warm up there food here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter