Qualify for DAS ?

DisneyPhilliesFan

Earning My Ears
I can suffer from anxiety and triggered panic attacks occasionally from being TIGHT crowding or things like enclosed corridors that some of the attractions queue's may have. I think it could help me because the Fast Pass queues are shorter and avoid the actual time in the crowds and occasional cramped corridors. I don't want to decrease my actual wait time, just try to limit my time actually standing /waiting in areas that can trigger an attack.

you will need to talk to the CMat GR about your needs for the line is all you can do

Just note the DAS does nothing for the end of the day crowds leaving the park so you might want to leave before the night time show or 30-45 minutes after the show/

it also does nothing for the preshow and some times they pack you in there I find staying to the back helps the most with this

Knowing your trigger and trying to avoid them ( for me noise is a big thing so I wear earplugs and were a lightweight hoodie to make a cocoon for my self) and if there is something you can do if you feel an attack coming on ( like playing a game on your phone, doing something with your hands like a fridge cube

Thanks,

I've been to Disney about 50 times over the past 50 years, but this will be my first time back since I started having panic attacks and have retired partially due to them.

I know what most of the queues are and which ones I should probably avoid, but there are some rides I enjoy but I know some of those queues may(or may not) effect me. It's just worrisome because I don't want one of these attacks to ruin my,or more importantly, my family's vacation.

Thanks,

I've been to Disney about 50 times over the past 50 years, but this will be my first time back since I started having panic attacks and have retired partially due to them.

I know what most of the queues are and which ones I should probably avoid, but there are some rides I enjoy but I know some of those queues may(or may not) effect me. It's just worrisome because I don't want one of these attacks to ruin my,or more importantly, my family's vacation.

I am sorry you are dealing with this, What case your panic attack. The reason why I am asking is that all through the DAS is great it does not do everything I find that combining the DAS with tools I use really help me out the most. Also what rides lines was hard for you? and are there any new rides ( like Pandora or TSL ones ) that you have not done.

I am sorry you are dealing with this, What case your panic attack. The reason why I am asking is that all through the DAS is great it does not do everything I find that combining the DAS with tools I use really help me out the most. Also what rides lines was hard for you? and are there any new rides ( like Pandora or TSL ones ) that you have not done.
We have not been to Pandora yet, first time next week.

The attacks can come when I'm feeling trapped and can't get out, even though it may seem strange for a person that doesn't suffer this to feel trapped in the same situation.

An example may be like the narrow winding corridors in Pirates if it doesn't keep moving. As long as I don't get "trapped" in one place with people jammed in or in tight hallways. That is why the DAS should help me. Less opportunity to feel that way because there is actually less time waiting in those areas on many attractions and getting in the FP entrance you are more likely to move constantly and spend less time standing in one place that can trigger it.

We have not been to Pandora yet, first time next week.

The attacks can come when I'm feeling trapped and can't get out, even though it may seem strange for a person that doesn't suffer this to feel trapped in the same situation.

An example may be like the narrow winding corridors in Pirates if it doesn't keep moving. As long as I don't get "trapped" in one place with people jammed in or in tight hallways. That is why the DAS should help me. Less opportunity to feel that way because there is actually less time waiting in those areas on many attractions and getting in the FP entrance you are more likely to move constantly and spend less time standing in one place that can trigger it.
I am not saying not to ask for a DAS I was just wondering because lines can and do stop for a while even FP. One thing I would do is have people in your group stand behind you to make a little bubble so when the lines do stop you will have some more room around you. ( I have found the lines in the FP tend to be longer then they was just a few years ago.

The Pandora ride ( I do not know if knowing how the line works help or not or if you have done any research on the line itself, but here is how the line ( the FP line works)

I find that there normally is not much of a line before the second touch point but after the second touch point you will be sent either Up the ramp or down the ramp the down ramp has 3 lines one for mobility device one for single rider and one for everyone else ( I think the up ramp is the same but without mobility device one) this is where you will do most of your wait ( 5-10 minutes) it is slow moving as you will stand in one place until the next room is open. There is two preshow room that you will have a number to stand on ( so no one is really right on top of you) you might find having people in your group in front and behind you. the preshow last I think 5 minutes unless something happens in the ride ( this could be someone does not fit in the ride someone is taking more time getting on the ride) but this happens I would say 50% of the time. in the first room there is no CM but the second room there is one in the room with you.

I hope this helps

@DisneyPhilliesFan will you have others traveling with you?

I like @gap2368's idea about creating a "bubble" in the line to help you feel like you have more space. Even if you just have one person with you, they can stand behind you, and you can let the folks ahead of you go forward a bit to create some open space. LOL don't make too much of a "bubble" though, or the folks behind y'all might revolt! ;)

I have really severe claustrophobia now; it came on later in life, and so that trapped feeling generates a huge panic attack for me, so I really do understand.

Agree with the pp just to be aware that having a DAS does not guarantee short wait times in the return lines. If the ride experiences a break down or other problem while you are in the FP return line, you'll be stuck there in the line waiting for an unspecified/unknown amount of time until the ride comes back up. In the worst case scenario, if you don't leave the line, you could be stuck there for an hour or longer. We got stuck in a line right before boarding, and the FP line had been unusually long up to that point anyway, when the ride went down. After waiting and waiting and being told repeatedly that the ride would be back up "any minute," I passed out. Lesson learned the hard way. Now we won't even enter the return line if it's longer than 15 minutes and will leave if the ride goes down. CMs are usually very good about adjusting our return time.

Whether or not you are granted a DAS, please have some kind of emergency plan in place. If traveling alone, consider a medical alert bracelet, and consider putting a note in your purse with your details and emergency contact. I have heard of people using a sharpie marker to write emergency phone numbers on their arm, but that might be a little extreme.

If traveling with friends or family, make sure they know what to do if a panic attack starts. Also, as others have said, have them create a bubble of space around you.

Does having a fan help? I have no problem with dark, tight spaces, unless there is very little air flow. For me, using a battery-operated fan helps immensely.

Thanks,

Chat with guest relations. The worst thing they will say is "no." Your can always check in with them again if their initial suggestions weren't helpful.

I've had struggles with similar issues for years (generally improving with treatment, but relapsing as they tend to). Disney was always harder than "real life", but worth it. There are some queues I can't do even with fast pass/DAS. My family has a great time, and so do I. I just had to learn to respect my limits.

if you'd like suggestions for coping in the parks or to talk about treatment modalities and what I've found most useful re:Disney, let me know.

My husband has similar problems (panic attacks in line) and I am hoping to be able to get him a DAS. I know when we went to Disneyland, he couldn’t do Indiana Jones, even with the Fastpass. He also had some panic attacks at shows entry/exit. I did maxipass there on a Green Day and it was still challenging. I am terrified of disneyworld (no max pass) and we are one of the people scheduled for light days and instead are getting Star Wars opening.

I appreciate the advice here. We are a group of 6, 2 ecvs so I will go over the bubble concept with the other adults (at Disneyland, it was a smaller group).

My husband has similar problems (panic attacks in line) and I am hoping to be able to get him a DAS. I know when we went to Disneyland, he couldn’t do Indiana Jones, even with the Fastpass. He also had some panic attacks at shows entry/exit. I did maxipass there on a Green Day and it was still challenging. I am terrified of disneyworld (no max pass) and we are one of the people scheduled for light days and instead are getting Star Wars opening.

I appreciate the advice here. We are a group of 6, 2 ecvs so I will go over the bubble concept with the other adults (at Disneyland, it was a smaller group).
what days are your trip The DAS does nothing for show ( really) I would just stay where you are let other leave before you then head out after the show ( if you can) you might want to be one of the last ones in for show becuse most of the time you walk all the way through the theater to exit so this should help with the exit crowds

We are there sept 16-25. On the shows, I think
since we have folks in wheelchairs, we have to sit in certain sections for some. I am still looking into that. But if we have an option, I will try that. The DAS I am hoping will help for some of the rides. I know they won’t fix everything, but every little bit helps.

Right now, I am doing all the planning because this is kinda my dream vacation with people who are like, I can’t go because of x, so I have three different conditions to try to optimize for (anxiety, diabetes, lupus), plus 2 kids, plus 2 food allergies (20 years ago, one had a severe allergy at Disneyland after asking does this include x and being told nope- turns out it totally did- so they need reassurance that I won’t kill them at dinner). It can be a bit of a challenge so I am loving these boards. ;)

what days are your trip The DAS does nothing for show ( really) I would just stay where you are let other leave before you then head out after the show ( if you can) you might want to be one of the last ones in for show becuse most of the time you walk all the way through the theater to exit so this should help with the exit crowds

Indiana Jones isn't a show at DL (it is more like Dinosaur).

[/QUOTE]

Indiana Jones isn't a show at DL (it is more like Dinosaur).

sirDiff I was replying to the bolded part I know it was a ride at Disneyland

I can suffer from anxiety and triggered panic attacks occasionally from being TIGHT crowding or things like enclosed corridors that some of the attractions queue's may have. I think it could help me because the Fast Pass queues are shorter and avoid the actual time in the crowds and occasional cramped corridors. I don't want to decrease my actual wait time, just try to limit my time actually standing /waiting in areas that can trigger an attack.
Checked in last night, explained what I posted here to the cast member at Guest Services and they gave me a DAS pass no questions asked.

Haven't used it yet as I haven't needed to because of Fast Passes and doing the Parks in small doses(a few hours then a break) but it's nice to know I have it if I feel I need it in case the situation arises.

Checked in last night, explained what I posted here to the cast member at Guest Services and they gave me a DAS pass no questions asked.

Haven't used it yet as I haven't needed to because of Fast Passes and doing the Parks in small doses(a few hours then a break) but it's nice to know I have it if I feel I need it in case the situation arises.

You just answered my question, so thank you. I have PTSD and social anxiety and on my last trip I had a panic attack mid queue on Space Mountain. We had reached the area where there were lines on both sides of us and it triggered one heck of a panic attack. The second one I has was during the Early Morning Magic where all the rope droppers came in at 9a and started to literally run, push, shove and elbow everyone to get to whatever line they were running toward. It shocked me just how many people there were and how aggressive they became when I stood frozen, terrified and obviously blocking their running path. Ruined the rest of my day as a stroller and whatever was hanging on its side also scraped my leg fairly badly, so now I know to avoid all pathways around rope drop time if doing another Early Morning Magic Event! I don't know if a DAS will help on queues this time, but with it perhaps a cast member can have me stand in one area while waiting to meet with my family.

Sometimes, just knowing you have that in your pocket (so to speak) helps tremendously! Hope your time at WDW is awesome! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter