Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

I wish we had an Aldi's around us. They seem to have some different items that sound really good.

We have one in the next town, but there has been a bunch of road construction in the area for ages, and I have been avoiding the hassle. I might have to brave it soon, though.

Are any of you on Facebook and would like to friend me there? I tend to mostly post pictures.

I'm not on Facebook, but thank you for the invite!

QOTD - Do you have a will?
We had one done many years ago when the kids were little. We recently had it revised to reflect adult children and change the executor. My dad, who died in 1996, had a hand written will, The lawyer said it was valid. My mom did not have one so had hers done soon after. My DD, now that they have kids, are investigating having one drawn up. Just wondered what the norm is.

No, and I know we should! It's just one of those things we always meant to get to "after ____ is done" but never did.

Prayers continuing for Madalyn indeed!

No cooling here yet anyway, still warm. Lovely restful Saturday for which I am so grateful :)

I don't have a Will. I admit to not thinking too much about one when I was younger.

We do have a couple Aldi's but none anywhere near me. Go to Pavilions and Ralph's. Dad does get some things also at Trader Joes and Sprouts. Whole Food, pre plague, he'd go to occasionally but they are expensive. Oh and Smart and Final has become a soup, napkin, and potato chip source, all required items, right? :D

ETA< thanks for the invite Carol, I do not use any social media (other then on here and paperback swap).

Hug to all!

wills , yes everyone needs one. Especially with kids. Otherwise, they can end up in foster care even wit relatives near by, until it’s resolved. Also even if you don’t have much money in the bank, but have a mortgage consider setting up a trust for the life insurance to go into also. This way kids are provided for and no one spends all the money at once. In fact, I changed ours from paying out when kids turn 21 till 30 when they will be more responsible. I forget how much we paid to have it done, but I think you can find a nice neighborhood lawyer for around $800-$1200

QOTD: Yes, we have wills. We did them when the kids were small because I was worrying about what would happen to them if something, God forbid, were to happen to us. We were able to, after checking with our chosen people, to name who we wanted them to live with, and through a trustee (I think it's called) we were able to put another person in charge of our estate so the two wouldn't be in conflict. The lawyer we used also recommended their not getting money before age 30, because decisions aren't always smart in the 20s, however if there was anything they needed the trustee could ok it, or they could petition the court. He used an example of a young man he knew who wanted to buy a condo for himself while he was in college, and that was ok'd by a judge. So there was wiggle room put in. He explained that we think we don't have all that much, but when you add up the value of your home, savings, insurance policies, retirement, cars and such, it can be more than we think. And that has to be directed. I was glad for my children to get older in a way because then I no longer had to worry as much. :lmao: Now I tell them to make sure they split things up fairly, even dumb things like the things I put aside for their children and such. They just laugh. But I think it's important to talk about these things. I had two young people in the hospital yesterday with tragic circumstances - one my age, and one much younger. Working with this type of thing it does drive home the point that anything can happen. One thing that was really nice when I was making decisions about who would raise them, was that everyone I asked who was in the running, said yes. We were also chosen by people for their wills and that was nice, too. It is peace of mind in a big way. Oh, it cost us about $800 which was money well spent. It also included living wills, health care proxies and some other stuff like POA.

Now with my mother, we used a very simple will that I had bought a CD for and printed up. Our lawyer looked it over and said he was impressed, and it was fine. Of course, her estate is in probate right now and we used that will! Was so glad to have it. We had had it notarized which was necessary. I learned a couple of things with her paperwork last year and that was that the Power of Attorney was supposed to be updated now and then, which we hadn't done (because I didn't know), and one bank would only allow a durable POA, which ours wasn't. The other bank didn't care about that but had me jumping through some other hoops, and still is. I've been trying to deposit and overpayment to BCBS and they made me go back and get account numbers I was sorting through papers for an hour :headache: so I went back the other day and the accounts are closed now so I have to return the check and explain what's going on and try to get it back later. So frustrating. Probably rambling but the point is, the will was good, the POA was so-so, lol, and the other details that pop up can sometimes be downright crazy. Very hard to cover every single base, especially when managing the day to day care of loved ones. I think I mentioned here I was cleaning out my voicemails recently and there were so many from my mother's doctor's offices it wa nuts! Many I hadn't even listened to. Before VNA or hospice got involved she was seeing about eight doctors! Including the foot and eye doctor, dermatologist, PCP, GYN oncologist, GYN oncology radiologist, Brain oncology radiologist and who am I forgetting? Oh yes, the cardiologist for the pacemaker check ups, good grief! There are probably more if I think about it enough.

Carol, thanks, too, but another not on FB!

Yes, wills and power of attorneys and specific medical directives. We've discussed multiple scenarios, and understand what the other wants. A friend of DH's is a lawyer and drew them up for free for us (well, not exactly free, more like trading....DH does the friend's professional website, but doesn't charge, and the friend does occasional things like make wills for us).

((hugs and healing vibes to all who need them))

I have a bread dough resting to bake in the morning. Making a crockpot roast with roasted smashed new potatoes and carrots to go along with the bread. Might make some gingerbread cake for dessert, since I'll have the oven on for the bread anyways.

I really like doing the diamond puzzle I got from my Reddit gift exchange! I had to order a lightboard, because I was having trouble seeing the little symbols, and little containers to hold all the pieces in, so I didn't have to worry about those little baggies, lol.

Good chilly morning DIS family. It was 37 here this morning, is up to 44 now, sun is out and we are heading for 62. Our wood guy snuck in last nite during dinner and dumped our first load of firewood,,so that's my project for this morning. If I had known he was coming, the cellar window would have been opened, the tarp spread out on the floor and he could have thrown it in for me, lol. Maybe that's why he didn't even knock to get paid, lol!
Morning update on Madalyn--We’re heading in the right direction...she had a negative culture, which has to stay negative for 48 hours total in order to go home...her inflammatory markers have gone down slightly but they’re not satisfied with the numbers, so we’re headed for another MRI this morning. Her fevers that are associated with the severe pain are getting more spread apart and she’s been walking independently for the last few hours.

Another hot day here with bad air quality

I am not on facebook

yes.......made years ago. We need to update it a little and add our DVC contracts to it.

Family still here. I think they might get to go home Tuesday evening.
They are going over to the house to get the kids' rooms ready. They are done, but Master, stairs and guest room still aren't.
I will clean while they are gone.....downstairs is a disaster!

Happy Sunday all... Wow...last week was a busy week for me. I worked everyday instead of my regular 3 days. Completely solidified my decision to quit working by the end of the year :laughing:....I've been there 25 years and I'm just done. ::yes:: Its been so nice to have hubby come home everyday but its taking some adjustments to get used to it. LOL Ive had to go to the grocery store more in the last couple days that I have had to in awhile. LOL I used to shopping for just DD and I and hubby likes different stuff than we do so I have readjust my shopping to include more for him. Also now that salons are back open, my friend told me to come in and get my trimmed while he was working. I went end of the day so there wasn't many people in there and he has a private room so we were able to be in the with door closed while he cut my hair.

So I don't know if i mentioned it before but my mom had a brain aneurysm about 11 years ago. She's partially paralyzed and has some brain damage from it. I was her caregiver when she came home from the hospital until my dad was able to retire to take care of her a couple years later. We live on the same street so I still do alot of the caring to help my dad but I don't have to stay there overnight like I did before he stopped working(over the road truck driver). She had a hysterectomy about a month ago, had stage one cancer but they were able to remove it all with her uterus. She's been having a really hard time in her recovery though....I think it instantly put her into menopause. She's having terrible hot flashes and her hormones are all out of whack. Add to that she got a major bladder infection right after surgery, was on antibiotics 4x a day for a week, so she's just feeling terrible. So I've been trying to help more than usual because my mom can be not very nice to my dad in the best of times so right now it's been a little worse. I've had to talk to her a couple times to snap her out of it so that's been a little more stressful than usual.

Another hot day here with bad air quality

Same here....we had a couple cool(er) days last week into the weekend and then BAM back into the high 90's and the smoke is terrible. We have the fire that was started by the gender reveal to the east of us and another one to the west of us. They started on the front side of the mountains and burned their way up and over to our side of the mountains...the fire to the west is calling for evacuations for some of our local communities. I haven't looked at the forecast for this week but I'm really hoping it starts to cool down again. It would be really nice for some rain....I don't think we've had even a sprinkle since March. :guilty:

Edited to add a picture of a smoky sunset Friday night.... the colors are so pretty but the reason is terrible. :guilty:

Attachments

• 20200918_184036.jpg
    20200918_184036.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Forgot the last QOTD I saw: Wills...
We don't have any wills made up yet but I guess we should. We paid off my parents house a couple years ago so my dad could stay home with my mom. We're trying to get out switched into our names and eventually we'll probably give it to our DD. We should probably get our wills made up when we do the switch.

Oh and I am on FB....I must've missed that question. :thumbsup2

We do have a will. We had one made up when the kids were little including naming guardians in case of need. We revised the wills when they became adults, taking out the guardian part. Now we have to work on the medical POA etc.

I can believe there will be frost here soon. It was 39 degrees at 6 am. It seems a bit earlier than usual.

Have a nice Sunday.

Happy Sunday all... Wow...last week was a busy week for me. I worked everyday instead of my regular 3 days. Completely solidified my decision to quit working by the end of the year :laughing:....I've been there 25 years and I'm just done. ::yes:: Its been so nice to have hubby come home everyday but its taking some adjustments to get used to it. LOL Ive had to go to the grocery store more in the last couple days that I have had to in awhile. LOL I used to shopping for just DD and I and hubby likes different stuff than we do so I have readjust my shopping to include more for him. Also now that salons are back open, my friend told me to come in and get my trimmed while he was working. I went end of the day so there wasn't many people in there and he has a private room so we were able to be in the with door closed while he cut my hair.

So I don't know if i mentioned it before but my mom had a brain aneurysm about 11 years ago. She's partially paralyzed and has some brain damage from it. I was her caregiver when she came home from the hospital until my dad was able to retire to take care of her a couple years later. We live on the same street so I still do alot of the caring to help my dad but I don't have to stay there overnight like I did before he stopped working(over the road truck driver). She had a hysterectomy about a month ago, had stage one cancer but they were able to remove it all with her uterus. She's been having a really hard time in her recovery though....I think it instantly put her into menopause. She's having terrible hot flashes and her hormones are all out of whack. Add to that she got a major bladder infection right after surgery, was on antibiotics 4x a day for a week, so she's just feeling terrible. So I've been trying to help more than usual because my mom can be not very nice to my dad in the best of times so right now it's been a little worse. I've had to talk to her a couple times to snap her out of it so that's been a little more stressful than usual.

Same here....we had a couple cool(er) days last week into the weekend and then BAM back into the high 90's and the smoke is terrible. We have the fire that was started by the gender reveal to the east of us and another one to the west of us. They started on the front side of the mountains and burned their way up and over to our side of the mountains...the fire to the west is calling for evacuations for some of our local communities. I haven't looked at the forecast for this week but I'm really hoping it starts to cool down again. It would be really nice for some rain....I don't think we've had even a sprinkle since March. :guilty:

Edited to add a picture of a smoky sunset Friday night.... the colors are so pretty but the reason is terrible. :guilty:
Ugh, your poor Mom! I can relate to the post-hysterectomy instant menopause and bladder issues. Immediately post op the latter were the worst part. They put a catheter in during the surgery and take it out afterward. Not sure about with her, but with me they also did a cystoscopy to make sure there was no bleeding in my bladder. All that and the “bladder challenge” (over-filled bladder to get me to pee) did me in. Years later I feel my bladder has never been the same. But a question - did she have her ovaries out, too?

@lynxstch, so glad it looks like your niece is on the mend.

@AuntieMe3, bless you for all the help you have given your parents.

Was 59 degrees this morning, so nice. We've been having bad air quality from the fires in CA, so hazy but the sun has been the most gorgeous color of orange red when it rises and falls. Hoping to get some rain over the next couple of days from the next system to hit the Gulf coast to clean the air.

Apologies in advance if I forget to answer any previous questions...I haven't been on much lately...

@lynxstch, lots of prayers for Madalyn! I hope she continues in the right direction and can come home soon! As far as the Big E...yes, they still do the butter sculpture. And we also usually like to walk through the state houses, but the past few years we've not enjoyed them. WAY too many people...all you can do is shuffle along in the stream. Nobody will let you cross over to one side or the other to actually look at the merchandise in the booths. And you're toast if you have a child in a stroller! Last year I had someone who must have thought that the space in front of me was empty, so she shoved her way around me, tried to dart from left to right in front of me, tripped over the stroller wheels, and had to literally leap over Josh in the stroller to avoid falling on him. But we still like all the food, the animals, and last year we enjoyed the "Mutts Gone Nuts" exhibition.

I'm almost 48 and I always wanted purple hair...never did do it!
BUT, I'm getting it colored (just to match my born with color) to cover the white that is coming in nicely!
I want purple hair, too (and I'm 46)! My hair is a kind of reddish-purple already, but I'd love to go true purple. My hairdresser has told me that once my hair turns all white, it will be easier to do - right now we'd have to strip all the color first, so it's really easy once you have grey or white hair.

Are any of you on Facebook and would like to friend me there? I tend to mostly post pictures.
I will! I don't know if you'd be able to send me a request (I'm pretty locked-down...too many requests from people that just want to friend me in order to sell me stuff), but my FB link is...
https://www.facebook.com/liz.h.carr/
I'm mostly a picture-poster, too. Some observations and memes, too, but mostly photos of Josh :goodvibes
No, and we REALLY need to. Our child is 5 now and we know we absolutely must have one. We just have never seemed to get around to it. I think we talk about it 2-3 times per year. All we have is Josh - and my mom says that if anything ever did happen to us, she's taking Josh and "I'm not giving him up to anybody" - and some retirement accounts, all of which Josh is the beneficiary. But it would still be in HIS best interest if we had wills, I know.

So Friday wasn't the best day of distance learning. Josh would NOT sit down and pay attention. He kept pushing the chair pad onto the floor, then standing up and dancing around, stomping on it, etc. I had the teacher "pinned" (so we could see only her), forgetting that our video was still running on her end, and I finally got so mad that I picked Josh up and made him sit down, pushed in the chair, and he got the heavy-death-metal voice from me, "SIT. DOWN. AND. PAY. ATTENTION." Not to mention that he simply does NOT want to do the assignments that the specials teachers send. I'm exhausted by 3 p.m. - and I haven't even done anything!

Saturday morning we had a very early soccer game (9:30). Josh wasn't with it. He just stared at the ball until it rolled by and we yelled to him to kick it. He's learned how to "trash talk" and he keeps pointing at kids on the other team, telling them "You're going down." I don't know where he learned it. He also does this interesting thing with his arms when he runs...all I can see in my mind's eye is George Jefferson. He does a George Jefferson strut. But when he winds up to kick the ball, he does this little dance that is 100% "the Curly Shuffle" from the Three Stooges.

After soccer we stopped around the corner to buy mums and pumpkins. I think we robbed the place...we got 2 mums, a large pumpkin, a smaller one, a small/medium white one (I always paint a Jack Skellington face on a white pumpkin), and 5 gourds for only $31. Then we had to run home, quickly change and head back out to get Josh his flu shot. He whined and cried and complained the whole way there. The doctor's office was doing them outside under a tent in the parking lot - they were out of the car and back in literally 30 seconds. He admitted that it didn't hurt at all!

In the evening we went to his friend's house for another outdoor movie night. This may have been the last one, it was so cold! There was only one other couple there with their twin 4-year-old boys. Josh's friend's 2-year-old sister would NOT stay away from the snack table - she REALLY wanted those Munchkins! She's so cute...she and her big brother look so much alike, they really could be twins if it weren't for the age difference. I love her name, Aberdeen - I know it's from Scotland, but I never thought about it for a child's name. So pretty! We watched The Sandlot, which the boys really liked. Josh is now asking me to buy it on DVD for him.

Today he's at his grandparents' house with DH. I'm trying to take a break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter