Quarantine and chill and kindness chatty clubhouse: Jump in and join the conversation! All is welcome!

It's been such fun reading about travel ideas and potential plans. Here's hoping itineraries that are currently on hold will eventually be enjoyed.

Wizard of Oz. Yes, I admit it was too scary for me. I don't think I ever watched it through as a kid. On the other hand, I loved Mary Poppins.

Hope you all have a nice evening. 🌺

Last edited:
@lovemygoofy first and foremost, I love your avatar. I’m from just south of Little Rock.

We’re just sitting here trying to get through this thing too. We’ve missed a trip or two to the World and we’re not happy about it but there are always people worse off than us.

As far as the cooking discussion, I’m the chef of the family. I guess I’m ok at it - I say never trust a skinny cook! I tend to make whatever I can out of whatever’s in the pantry.

At the moment we’re watching LOST again, and we’re just as confused as we were the first time we watched it. But my wife likes watching Sawyer and Jack so I’m stuck with it for now. Lol

I hope to chat again soon. Go hogs!

Good morning everyone! I happen to love Wizard of Oz, one of my favorite all time movies! I know I was scared of the flying monkeys when I first saw it, and when I first saw the movie, we didn't have a color tv. The first time I watched it after we got one, it simply amazed me, lol.
Going to be another 90+ day here. Then storms tomorrow cooling temps down into the 80's. Showing mid to upper 70's for next week? That will feel like Fall after all the heat we've had.
Hubby asked me to make him a chocolate cream pie like his Grandmother used to make when he was little. I never met the lady, she's been gone for many many years. Noone in the family had the recipe, so I had to do an online search and find something suitable. I like my chocolate cream pie in a graham cracker crust, but he said it had to be in a pastry shell. Well, I wasn't about to make a homemade one (I am terrible at pie shells), so I used a Pillsbury rolled one from the dairy dept, lol. Made the pudding from scratch and just put it in the pie shell and in the fridge to cool.
Think I am going to just take a big glass of lemonade out to the porch swing and sit and relax for awhile before the heat kicks in out there.

QOTD Tues August 11-- Do you all cook/bake from scratch, or from recipes , or do you take the easy way out most of the time? If you have favorite old time family recipes, could you share one of them with the rest of us?
Have a great day everyone!

QOTD Tues August 11-- Do you all cook/bake from scratch, or from recipes , or do you take the easy way out most of the time? If you have favorite old time family recipes, could you share one of them with the rest of us?

We cook several days per week. We try to make relatively healthy, balanced meals for ourselves and our family. We don’t use a lot of recipes. Sometimes we go out or order out, or we might pick something up that’s heat and eat, etc., as it can get monotonous and tiresome when everyone’s working and feeling run down or tired. Fortunately we have lots of options where we live.

As I mentioned before, I usually shop and meal plan, while DH executes. He shops and I cook sometimes, too. We both clean up right away. I like a really clean and uncluttered kitchen. ;) Sometimes the kids cook a meal, like Sunday DS and his girlfriend made us breakfast. We don’t do a lot of baking because we try not to eat a lot of desserts, but we usually make a banana bread to use up bananas or a Bundt cake or cupcakes to satisfy a sweet tooth now and then. We use a mix (as do most commercial bakeries), but icing or frosting is home made.

@lynxstch I love chocolate cream pie with graham cracker crust! That’s how my mother used to make it. I am not a fan of regular pastry pie crust, really, even with fruit pies. .

Figured I would get caught up all at once, or almost:poop:

For those that have been on the river cruises, I have about thousand questions as we are really interested in doing this in Europe

We did a Rhine River cruise 2 years ago, kind of a fluke - wasn't something we had on our radar, but the opportunity fell in our lap and we went. Loved it. Loved it...actually ended up going w/ my folks who had done the Grand European 2 week trip a year earlier with some friends. My father joked he though they were among some of the younger folks on the ship at that time( they were in mid to late 60's)! ha ha - we ended up being - at 46, the youngest people on our trip besides someones 20 year old grandson. It was also the first cruise we had ever been on. There were about 150 people on the ship. No kids under 18 allowed, none of the fluff associated with large cruise ships which was right up our way of travel. Food was great, bar tenders and crew were wonderful. The excursions were awesome, although not what I would call overly strenuous due to the older nature of most of their passengers. It seemed many of them were repeat clients - we met a woman who had done many of the trips. Walking was difficult for her, although she was ambulatory, so she mostly stayed on the ship admiring the scenery and socializing. I'll tell you what, those old duffers will drink you under the table....
It was fabulous, and we've been trying to get back ever since. We had some other big travel plans in the works, so we put off booking until 2020, and well - you know what happened there! We were going to go on the Russia cruise, as was Merriweather. We still have that on our short list, as well as a few others. Anyway - we loved it and we aren't cruisers. We've no interest in a large cruise ship experience.

Wizard of Oz

I know its considered sacrilege in some parts, but I never warmed to this movie. It just never appealed to me.

I am trying to adopt another dog. It may take a small miracle to get her here

Oh! Good luck. I hope it all works out - sometimes those transport trains can be hard to organize (if that is the problem). Sending good vibes.

Some things I make from scratch, depending on the holiday. For instance, I always make cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies and apple pies with homemade crust at Thanksgiving. Why? Because my grandmother did and she taught me how to make the crust. Result? I don't know - I don't care for either apple or pumpkin pie:P. Nor do I like cranberry sauce! They get eaten, but in all honesty I doubt anyone cares if the crust is store bought or home made. Usually I use the pre-made rolled crusts if needed or any other occasion. There are certain dishes I just make with no recipe - been doing them so long and I'm not sure I ever had a"proper" recipe for them - sausage gravy, crab soup/dip/crabcakes, turtle soup,various stews, chicken soup. I'm sure there are others. One thing I'm rabid about is homemade stuffing, I always make that.
The ability to make gravy has always eluded me, I just can't get it. If it's a major holiday I pass that off on my Mother or SIL, if it's not then I'm cracking a jar of store bought!
We do butcher about half of the meat we consume ourselves. That has been a learning curve - it is mostly my husbands talent though and I stand in as assistant and head wrapper/sanitizer. I tried making black pudding once, didn't go so well. Gross... We order that along with our scrapple.

Weirdly overcast here today, and the morning started out foggy. Not really rainy though. Hot, humid. Looks like rain later this week - we are not having a dry August, which is nice because my lawn is not brown and scraggly. I have no idea what we are going to do for dinner. I have a pizza crust in the bread drawer, so that may be it this evening!

I cook from scratch, but most of my meals are pretty simple. Pasta dishes, chicken, hamburger-based meals, roast, soups. Occasionally pork (usually pulled pork) or a seafood dish. I like to cook at least 3 meals on Sunday to start the week off and we usually have leftovers one night. One of my favorite meals is shrimp aglio e olio, which is simple to make and we all love it. The below recipe is how I make it, but I add in shrimp (cooked in a little butter, olive oil, salt and pepper).

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222000/spaghetti-aglio-e-olio/
When I was working from home during quarantine, I was baking weekly. Mainly muffins and banana bread. I tried making bread while I was at home, but I didn't care for it. I do want to try it again, but maybe with a different recipe next time.

@lovemygoofy first and foremost, I love your avatar. I’m from just south of Little Rock.

We’re just sitting here trying to get through this thing too. We’ve missed a trip or two to the World and we’re not happy about it but there are always people worse off than us.

As far as the cooking discussion, I’m the chef of the family. I guess I’m ok at it - I say never trust a skinny cook! I tend to make whatever I can out of whatever’s in the pantry.

At the moment we’re watching LOST again, and we’re just as confused as we were the first time we watched it. But my wife likes watching Sawyer and Jack so I’m stuck with it for now. Lol

I hope to chat again soon. Go hogs!

Wooo Pig Soieeee @KeithAndrew Welcome!! I haven't lived in my beloved Arkansas in 20 years now but still wear my piggie pajama's proudly and try to get home every so often for a football and most important see my mama. I never watched Lost. I have commitment issues to tv shows. I seldom start out with a show right away (two last season and still renewed!) and seldom want to stick with a show because I'm usually so let down at the end of the show that I wish I hadn't gotten so invested. I'm complicated mess, Keith LOL You and your wife enjoy your shows and cooking and hope you come hang out with these awesome group of DISers!

Cook and bake from scratch almost always. Once in awhile, I will cheat if I am super tired or someone wants something frozen :eek:
Lots of fairly easy, but delicious thing. The older I get, the less I want to spend hours in the kitchen fixing things just for the 2 of us

Most of my really old family recipes really have no recipe. They were learned by watching and trying and tasting.

Happy Tuesday. We did not fly away but damn close watching the black cloud of doom coming at you and hearing the Wizard of Oz tornado music in your head. We had phones charged, little prep kit and our shoes ready for just in case. We are blessed to be in neighborhood with buried utility lines so we seldom lose power unless it hits bit pole out on the main street.

Dinner tonight is lasagna and salad. I've been putting it off forever but finally giving in. I'm fairly lazy and just make up the sauce and put it over dry noodles and bake in the oven covered for longer.
I have a lemon blueberry buttermilk bundt cake in the oven. Most cakes are bundt/coffee cakes in my house because I have no idea where any of my actually cake pans have gone. I need to restock baking pans.

Slow going here today. I'm going to watch some of the Crown and start some new fun show. I already watched Magnolia on Netflix and looking for something girly similar.

I do combinations of all the above. I don't make pie crust. I think the little pillsbury guy does good enough job and if good for him, it's good for me. Most baked goods are from scratch, except brownies. I use Ghirardelli brand mix. I guess my most requested items are Southern Pecan pie or buffalo chicken pasta.
Cooking meal wise, I tend to make meals from scratch but haven't mastered lot homemade sauces yet so jar sauces for us. My goal this fall is master few sauces and some salad dressings but again I feel I should be doing my part in the economy and what's better than buying good sauces. Can you tell I'm lazy cook sometimes lol I still haven't made a meatloaf...

Gratitudes:
Little storm damage here or in neighborhood
Good cake baking
Beautiful sunny day

Good morning everyone! I happen to love Wizard of Oz, one of my favorite all time movies! I know I was scared of the flying monkeys when I first saw it, and when I first saw the movie, we didn't have a color tv. The first time I watched it after we got one, it simply amazed me, lol.
Going to be another 90+ day here. Then storms tomorrow cooling temps down into the 80's. Showing mid to upper 70's for next week? That will feel like Fall after all the heat we've had.
Hubby asked me to make him a chocolate cream pie like his Grandmother used to make when he was little. I never met the lady, she's been gone for many many years. Noone in the family had the recipe, so I had to do an online search and find something suitable. I like my chocolate cream pie in a graham cracker crust, but he said it had to be in a pastry shell. Well, I wasn't about to make a homemade one (I am terrible at pie shells), so I used a Pillsbury rolled one from the dairy dept, lol. Made the pudding from scratch and just put it in the pie shell and in the fridge to cool.
Think I am going to just take a big glass of lemonade out to the porch swing and sit and relax for awhile before the heat kicks in out there.

Have a great day everyone!

I do both, depending on my mood, the weather and supplies. I'm not sure how old timey this recipe is (my mom probably stole it off the back of a can of pumpkin or something, lol, and just increased the size to make more pies for our family) but it's my favorite pumpkin pie filling ever. Crust is whatever your favorite crust is (I usually use a roll and bake one, haha, because I hate making crusts). Makes three 9" pies, with usually a little leftover for a couple of ramekins for mini pies. (written just as she wrote it down). She didn't leave a pie crust recipe, but she made hers from scratch.

Marge's Pumpkin Pies:
Beat together 8 eggs, 3 c. sugar and a 1 lb, 14 oz can pure pumpkin. Mix together 2 heaping tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1 tsp ginger. Stir into batter. Add one 12 oz can evaporated milk and one 5 oz can evaporated milk. Add 13 oz water (pour milks into the pumpkin can and add water to fill). Fill pie shells. Top each with 1 TBLS melted butter in center. Bake 425 10 minutes; turn oven to 350. Bake 45 minutes until knife 1" from center comes out clean. Cool.

Made burgers (Beyond Burgers for DH), blue box mac n cheese, and veggies for lunch. And absolutely nothing new here. Except I found some dishes that I really really really want, but DH says no. :sad1: He says that $120 for 4 place settings is silly, and that I would end up wanting the other sets not yet out....and that we'd end up with dishware for 20 and it's only the three of us at home......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8XHL6...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089N92GG...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPGF8R...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPFWTY...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/Robe-Factory...EDQ11TVA9XN&psc=1&refRID=B46RF7S44EDQ11TVA9XN
I told him that I would get sets of these for him and DS...still no go :sad:

https://www.amazon.com/Robe-Factory...rs+dishes&qid=1597169204&s=home-garden&sr=1-2
So I put 'em all on my Reddit wish list, and I'm gonna hope I get Bill Gates or The Disney company for a Santa....:scratchin:idea::tink:

I will share a teriyaki marinade which is really good. I don't have amounts but you can see what works.

Garlic
Soy Sauce
Orange juice
Brown sugar

Marinate whatever you want for a day or two in this marninade, the longer the better. Flip meat around once or twice, too. It is really good on pork spare ribs and London Broil, cut into strips on the diagonal.

I do both, depending on my mood, the weather and supplies. I'm not sure how old timey this recipe is (my mom probably stole it off the back of a can of pumpkin or something, lol, and just increased the size to make more pies for our family) but it's my favorite pumpkin pie filling ever. Crust is whatever your favorite crust is (I usually use a roll and bake one, haha, because I hate making crusts). Makes three 9" pies, with usually a little leftover for a couple of ramekins for mini pies. (written just as she wrote it down). She didn't leave a pie crust recipe, but she made hers from scratch.

Marge's Pumpkin Pies:
Beat together 8 eggs, 3 c. sugar and a 1 lb, 14 oz can pure pumpkin. Mix together 2 heaping tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1 tsp ginger. Stir into batter. Add one 12 oz can evaporated milk and one 5 oz can evaporated milk. Add 13 oz water (pour milks into the pumpkin can and add water to fill). Fill pie shells. Top each with 1 TBLS melted butter in center. Bake 425 10 minutes; turn oven to 350. Bake 45 minutes until knife 1" from center comes out clean. Cool.

Made burgers (Beyond Burgers for DH), blue box mac n cheese, and veggies for lunch. And absolutely nothing new here. Except I found some dishes that I really really really want, but DH says no. :sad1: He says that $120 for 4 place settings is silly, and that I would end up wanting the other sets not yet out....and that we'd end up with dishware for 20 and it's only the three of us at home......

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y8XHL6...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089N92GG...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPGF8R...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPFWTY...olid=1R7QYVTISZZOZ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/Robe-Factory...EDQ11TVA9XN&psc=1&refRID=B46RF7S44EDQ11TVA9XN
I told him that I would get sets of these for him and DS...still no go :sad:

https://www.amazon.com/Robe-Factory...rs+dishes&qid=1597169204&s=home-garden&sr=1-2
So I put 'em all on my Reddit wish list, and I'm gonna hope I get Bill Gates or The Disney company for a Santa....:scratchin:idea::tink:

Oh I want all of those except the Mandalorian ones!..the others are all so pretty! I won't even bother asking hubby,, -- I do plenty of surveys, get Amazon gift cards for most of them, and can buy myself a set or two, lol! But I am going to have a hard time choosing which ones are the prettiest..thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter