Question about a 504 plan

Pinnie

<font color=green>Working a Dream Job<br><font col
I hope someone here can help me!

I am getting a kindergartener in August that has a severe peanut/tree nut allergy. severe asthma and is light sensitive. Should this child have a 504? Also, should it be done BEFORE school starts in the fall? He is not in any program right now and would not qualify for one.

Thanks!

pinnie

I guess I'm niave. What is a 504?

I know at my school that my ds and dd attend, the classroom teacher sends out a flyer in each child's backpack at the beginning of the school stating that children that have any peanut butter sandwiches, peanut products in their lunches need to eat lunch in one room, and try to keep away from those children during eating time only of the kids that have the peanut allergies. Also they instruct the children to wash their hands before and after eating lunch. It hasn't been a problem so far at school this yr.

Also, the school nurse is always around in case a child does have an allergic reaction. I haven't heard anything so far of any children at my kids' school having a severe reaction with the peanuts.

Rosemarie :flower:

M son has a 504 as well. They are designed for children who need any type of modification or accomodation in school. If your child needed therapy (OT,PT or speech) then of course you would go the IEP route.

My guess is that he may need it for the light sensitivity, if perhaps he had restrictions on going outside for recess or if gym class were held outside one day. He would need an accomodation made for him have PE inside if all of the other kids were able to go outside for exercise. Also for the asthma, if he just needs to be watched closely then probably not, but again, if there are things that he cannot do because of the asthma and again may need a gym exercise modified for him then yes for the 504.

As far as the peanut allergy, I think it depends on how your particular school district handles the issue. In ours, we have a peanut free lunch table where at least 6 to 8 kids eat together every lunch period, all of whom have peanut allergies. A lunchroom attendant "searches" or checks each of their lunch boxes, (with gloves on to prevent cross-contamination with any other kids food they may had had contct with), to make sure no one accidently brings contraband to the table. Other than the special lunch table and a clear understanding by the childs teacher, I don't think these kids have a 504 regarding this. BUT, if your district provides no such table and your son may need an accomodation made for him, you may want to urge them to START a peanut free zone in the lunchroom. We still have 1/2 day kindergarten for most kids in our district here so for us it wouldn't be a lunch issue until 1st grade.

I DEFINITELY urge you to get moving on this not now but yesterday. Call the school, find out if the special ed director convenes 504's or maybe your school's school social worker. It is best to get on this now. You may even be fortunate enough to have your teacher assigned for next school year in on your meeting so that you don't have to repeat everything all over again in the Fall. In some school's this is difficult, they really don't like to earmark teachers in the spring, but there are lots of arguments why its better to have this person aware of your son long before the first day of school in the Fall. Make sure you tell them that you want to be familiar with the teacher and you want to give them time to research, ask questions about any of his special needs/accomodations, and it gives the PE staff, the lunchroom staff (if applicable) and the teacher time to research and learn about ways they can best accomodate your son in the Fall. It benefits the school to know all about your son now rather than the first day of school in the Fall! If you give them time, they can listen to you about the types of things he can and cannot or should not do and gives them time to find truly creative and apropriate accomodations for your son instead of just, "Sam will have to sit this one out..." Be firm and persistent with your school, but not pushy or abrasive, give them the opportunity to work with you, reasonably, then if they don't respond, it may be time to take the gloves off. But give them the opportunity to sit down with you, discuss your child's needs, and then go from there. Good luck!

dislvr75,
Thanks for explaining what a 504 is. Both my dd and ds have IEPs since they were 3 yrs. old. At least in front of me at team mtgs amd IEP meetings, I never heard of the 504 plan. I heard of modifying this or that, but not the SST stating "using a 504" terminology.

Rosemarie :flower:

As a teacher, I can speak from experience having students with both a 504 plan and IEPs. A 504 plan was designed to help students whose learning is impacted by a condition, but could not qualify them for an IEP. Students who move from special ed. to regular ed. could have a 504 plan, as well, to help with the transition.

Although this is not my school district, check out this website, as it has some good information: http://www.chtu.org/504.html

Keep in mind, too, that time is very limited right now as the end of the school year is approaching. Many schools are very booked with annual reviews, re-evaluations, etc. so if you think this needs to be done you must act quickly.

If you have any more questions, just ask or pm me! :)

Sorry, but I guess I didn't make it clear in my original post. I am a kindergarten teacher and I will be getting a student in the fall with these issues. I am wondering if I can do a 504 NOW in the spring that will be in place before school starts up in the fall. I know how busy fall can be and trying to schedule a meeting at that time of year is a challenge.

We do NOT have school nurses in our district, so I am assuming I will have to be trained in epi-pens.

Thanks to everyone for all your ideas!

pinnie

I think you need to speak to your special ed. rep at your school. I don't know if you can write the 504 plan before the student arrives.

As for the Epi-Pen, don't assume that you will get training. Talk to your principal, etc. If nothing else, talk to your union rep. because you can't be held liable if something happens and you were not properly trained.

What mods would you be wanting to address with a 504? It does not sound like this child has any learning disability that would need to be addressed by a 504. Just because he has a peanut allergy would not be cause for mods. In some of our schools we do have peanut free tables in the cafeteria.

I don't really see any reason for mods either...unless the student is so light sensitive that he cannot use regular materials in a normal setting...and I really can't see that w/o fullblown IEP. As for the peanut allergy...hopefully mom sends his lunch and special treats for celebrations...my DS is GFCFsoy free...I send stuff for him all the time. It is so much fun to teach these days...and if you're in a "ritzy" district you can bet you'll have a zillion 504s...especially when it is college board time...all of a sudden kids w/o disabilities need unlimited time on PSATs and SATs....sure hope their eventual jobs allow the same conditions....NOT !!!!!!!!!!

The severe asthma is a good reason to get a 504. 504's are often used for people with medical problems... For example, the gym teacher wouldn't be allowed to lower the students grade if they couldn't do an activity and maybe modify activities (the child with asthma is score keeper). Plans that establish the asthma triggers and to avoid those situations could also be valuable. Also, if the ashma causes frequent respiratory infections-there may need to be a policy so the student doesn't get punished for missing school. For example, at my high school if you missed 7 days of 1 class you failed. Since I have tons of medical issues and frequent prolonged illness that restriction didn't apply to me. I always got my 504 &IEP about a week or two before school started.

Kudos to the OP for being a concerned advocating teacher!

Christamae

eternaldisneyfan said:
The severe asthma is a good reason to get a 504. 504's are often used for people with medical problems... For example, the gym teacher wouldn't be allowed to lower the students grade if they couldn't do an activity and maybe modify activities (the child with asthma is score keeper). Plans that establish the asthma triggers and to avoid those situations could also be valuable. Also, if the ashma causes frequent respiratory infections-there may need to be a policy so the student doesn't get punished for missing school. For example, at my high school if you missed 7 days of 1 class you failed. Since I have tons of medical issues and frequent prolonged illness that restriction didn't apply to me. I always got my 504 &IEP about a week or two before school started.
You are 100% correct.

As to the member who wrote about 504 plans just being an excuse to extend time for the SATs, I would hope that person was just joking, and did not mean to be insensitive to many of the issues people on this board face. :confused3

Kidos to Pinnie for thinking about this and trying to get it taken care of. I bet you are a terrific teacher. :cheer2:

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying to be proactive with this child and get some things in place now. Our district is pretty good about servicing the special needs students. Like all districts, we are facing cutbacks and I am losing my TC (Teacher Consultant) at the end of this year and getting a new one in the fall part time. I just wanted to get things done NOW while we have a chance and not wait until fall when everything is so busy!

I have been on the phone to the director of sp ed and am waiting for a call back from him...hopefully soon!

pinnie

eternaldisneyfan said:

Kudos to the OP for being a concerned advocating teacher!

Christamae

It is my understanding that you would need a 504 or an IEP not both. 504 plans are for those students not in need of an IEP. I know for my daughter we wrote everything on her IEP. Accommodations,adaptive tech equip., goals, everything. And hers was basically for gifted but had the added issues of food allergies and asthma

My school placed me in a 504 plan my Freshman year and then switched me to a gifted IEP in high school

Christamae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter