Question about acid-free

jenredwolf

Earning My Ears
I have a beginners question for all you veterans! I just bought a cute little scrapbook kit that makes a 4x4 book in a metal tin. It is by K and Company and is part of the Studio K line. I just realized that nowhere on the package or any of the component does it say it is acid-free or photo safe. Does this mean it isn't? Or is it just assumed that it is since it is made for scrapbooking by a company I have seen around before.

Thanks for any help! :goodvibes

I love K&Co. stuff and I would assume it's o.k. I may be a bit neurotic, but I don't put pictures in anything that's not labeled acid free and usually I look for lignon free and pvc free too. Sometimes I don't even trust just a 'photo safe' label. But I started scrapbooking 6 years ago on Creative Memories - DH calls it a cult :rotfl2: so I probably worry more than I should! Personally, I wouldn't do it if it doesn't say photo safe or acid free.

Can you give a little more information about the book you bought. I have been trying to find something on the web that may have a description where it states if the paper is acid free or not but I haven't had any luck with my searches.

RealMickeysGirl said:
Can you give a little more information about the book you bought. I have been trying to find something on the web that may have a description where it states if the paper is acid free or not but I haven't had any luck with my searches.

Sure, I appreciate the help...

It is the Studio K Accordion Book Kit in Metal Container with more than 145 pieces. There is a code number listed on the back: 535626

I tried to look it up on the K&Company website but could not find it. I may have missed it though, or I didn't think that it might be online at a different retailer...

How important is acid free anyway? What does that really mean for the longevity of the scrapbook? Will it last for decades but not centuries? Or is it a matter of month or years?

Thanks for all you guys' help! :duck:

Here's my 2 cents worth-I won't use anything that does not state that is Acid Free. A company would put that on their product if it was, because they know that that is a big selling point for some people.

I am amazed at what some people are putting in their books nowadays. Chipboard (for the most part) is made of junk paper-full of acid and not lignon free at all-it contains the same stuff as newsprint-which we all know yellows and decomposes over time.

I have a couple of books that I made in the dark ages before scrappin' became a national past time and the paper that I used changed my pictures that were on it. If you care about your pictures at all-don't use anything BUT a stated acid free product.

Acid and photos is a bad thing. You can get a ph testing pen to check the paper first, or you could just assume the worst and spray it with Archival Mist (or Make It Acid Free from Krylon) if you're worried about it.

I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to photo safety, but it also depends on the project. If it's not something that I passionately care about it being around in 75 years, I probably would just go for it (since it is K & Co paper), but make sure to use copies of photos and not originals.

BTW, most of the chipboard I have seen (and used) for scrapping is archival. The company I sell has all acid-,lignin-free chipboard.

I sent an email to k&company yesterday with a snipit from your email and just asked them - is this acid free. I haven't heard anything back from them yet, I will post what ever they send me here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!