• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about cropping pictures

eeyoreforever

DIS Veteran
Actually two questions, when I crop a picture, do I need to resize it or anything before I have it printed or do I just crop it and I'm done?

Also, when I'm getting pictures printed, part of the picture seems to get cut off a lot of the time. Why does it do this? I don't know how many times I've lost the top of someones head because of this.

Any advice?

What program are you using to crop? Different size photos have a different ratio when printing. You need to use a program that will let you crop to standard sizes.

Sometimes I use PhotoImpressions-it's the software that came with my Canon A-95. Other times I use the software that came with my dh's camera-I'm not even sure if it has a name other than Olympus Camedia?? Can you tell I'm photographically challenged?

resizing makes the entire image (cropped or not) either larger or smaller depending on the need (prints or web album, etc.) If you crop an image, you are taking away information and changing it's dimensions. If the new size will still print ok without resizing, that's the better choice. IOW, high megapixel cameras give you a little more leeway for cropping. The rule of thumb for prints is a minimum of 200-250 dpi (ok experts, let's not fight over terminology!! :teeth: ). So if the required print does not meet that minimum, resizing should be performed.

Example: If an image from your A95 (a 5 mp camera) is 2000 by 3000 pixels, it will print ok without resizing at 10 x 15 inches (assuming 200 dpi). If you print at 5 x7 , 4 x 6 or 8 x 10, the only thing that changes is the dpi. Don't resize a print DOWN to 200 dpi if a smaller print indicates a higher dpi is calculated. A 5 x 7 print from an image that's 2000 x 3000 pixels would print at about 400 dpi. That's ok. Actually, a 5 x 7 at 400 dpi doesn't match the 2000 x 3000 pixel dimension so some cropping will be required. But DON'T resize, just crop.

You want to bump up the finished image to at least 300 dpi. On some images 200 dpi might be enough but not for most photos.

Charade said:
The rule of thumb for prints is a minimum of 200-250 dpi (ok experts, let's not fight over terminology!! :teeth: ). So if the required print does not meet that minimum, resizing should be performed.

Example: If an image from your A95 (a 5 mp camera) is 2000 by 3000 pixels, it will print ok without resizing at 10 x 15 inches (assuming 200 dpi). If you print at 5 x7 , 4 x 6 or 8 x 10, the only thing that changes is the dpi. Don't resize a print DOWN to 200 dpi if a smaller print indicates a higher dpi is calculated. A 5 x 7 print from an image that's 2000 x 3000 pixels would print at about 400 dpi. That's ok. Actually, a 5 x 7 at 400 dpi doesn't match the 2000 x 3000 pixel dimension so some cropping will be required. But DON'T resize, just crop.

Well IMO it really depends how/where you are printing the image.

If printing at home my rule of thumb is keep the rez as high as possible after cropping(if needed). Some home printers state some crazy print resolutions, printing results vary greatly by models. So I just keep rez as high as the image will allow, without "trying" to reach the pinters actual output resolution.

but when printing on a REAL photo lab machine I always send EXACTLY the size and dimensions used by that machine.

Example
If a lab uses Noritsus that print at 320 dpi, that is what I send. If I send a 400 dpi image they will resample it down to 320 b4 printing, so why not send it @320 dpi to begin with?
Same with sending a smaller file.
I prefer to make all adjustments and not let some computer on auto make any adjustments or cropping/resizing.

When printing at home you don't try to match the printers output resolution. Anywhere from 240-360 dpi is what your image should be when you send it to the printer. Then you can print at 1440, 2880 or 5760 dpi. The two dpi numbers are comparing apples to oranges.

safetymom said:
When printing at home you don't try to match the printers output resolution.

Isnt that what I said? :confused3

Just to address the issue of part of your image, top or bottom, being cut from the print, this is due to the camera capturing an image which is not the same shape as the print. My Sony's standard amage size is 2592 by 1944 pixels, which is not the same ratio as a typical 4x6 print. It perfectly fits the monitor, not the print. The top or bottom will be cut to fit the print. You can crop your pix before printing to get a 3:2 ratio (4x6) using a program like Picasa, which lets you select the output size you want (4x6, 8x10 etc..) and crops at that ratio, then save the files or print from Picasa. (Not sure if you print at home or what.) Your camera may also have a file size setting called 3:2 or similar. My Sony does, which shows on the LCD as sort of a letterbox shape which makes it simpler to compose your shot in the shape it will end up, rather than trying to guess how much space you should leave at the top or bottom to account for the difference in ratio.

That came out a bit wordy, but I hope it helped.

I just ran into this today. I was trying to make prints of a soccer team picture and I didn't leave enough space at the top or bottom to make an 8x10 without cutting into the people. 5x7 was fine.

I appreciate all the responses. Who knew it could get so confusing to crop a picture. I haven't done anything with it yet, but hopefully will get some time soon to play around with cropping.

I don't print any of my pictures at home. I either use WalMart or Winkflash.

I don't believe my camera has a 3:2 setting, but it does have a "postcard" setting that I think is for 4 x 6. Maybe that is what I need to use, but I'm thinking off the top of my head that it lowers the resolution.

The easiest way to do this is use the cropping tool that is on the site that ou are uploading it to. Upload it in full, just the way you took it at the same size as when you took it off your camera. Once it is in the website, use their cropping tool to get it cropped how you want and use their 4x6 crop tool or whatever size you are making. It will print exactly how you cropped it. Don't pre-crop before uploading. It never come out right.

WebmasterAlex said:
I just ran into this today. I was trying to make prints of a soccer team picture and I didn't leave enough space at the top or bottom to make an 8x10 without cutting into the people. 5x7 was fine.
if you have that problem again try to find a place such as Ritz camera that will print 8x12's

35 mm doesn't print 8x10 either without cutting off the ends, that's why Ritz does 8x12...also the reason 3.5x5 was replaced by 4x6...as the standard for printing...

me thinks the threat was slightly hijacked... :-)

when cropping a picture you should mostly be concerned that the "aspect ratio" is correct for the size you are printing. if you are printing a 4x6 photo, for every 4 pixels of height you need 6 pixels of width, for an 8 x 10, 8 pixels height for 10 of width, etc.

If you use a program that has a "crop to (size)" option that will keep the proportions right. Picasa is great for this.

WebmasterAlex said:

Another thing you could have done if you don't want to go 8x12 is to set the canvas to 8x10 and set the image to a size that will fit within the 8x10 canvas area with borders. Your borders will be a bit unbalanced (the top/bottom won't be equal to the left/right) but you won't have to crop any info from the image.

One other thing I've done is to clone the area at the edge of the image to make the image fit to 8x10 print space. That's not possible with all images but it can be done.

I had a great shot of the Thunderbirds except I cut off the nose of the lead plane. I cloned some extra sky and the nose from one of the other planes and it came out perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter