• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about dining with a toddler....

Disney_1derland

<font color=teal>Enjoys helping to make DISney Mag
Last time we went to WDW we had dd#1 who was only 14 months old. The only sit-down restaurants we did were a few character buffet meals. I know that at those meals we did not have to pay for her. What I am wondering is.....this time we will have dd#2 who will be just shy of two years old. I know at buffets we would not have to pay for her but I am assuming at any other sit-down with a menu we would actually pay for her kids meal. Is this correct? Thanks for your help!

Unless you just want to share what's on your plate with her! Usually the adult portions are so big I can't eat it all by myself anyway! :sunny:

If you order a meal you'll be charged for it. You can feed her off your plate for free. Also feel free to bring some snacks for her and give her those while you are eating.

Anne

normally we order her a seperate meal because she is a good eater. Wondering if the kids meals portions are big enough that she and 4 year old sister (not such a good eater) can share? I don't really want to feed her snacks while we are eating a meal, she is a meal eater and not much of a snack baby. This is my weird kid who prefers raw veggies over anything else-lucky us!

I think the kids meals are good sized. We didn't do any sit down meals our last trip--except for Hoop De Do Revue, which was served family style. But the fast food meals were decent, and you could get her carrots instead of french fries at most counters. (and you are lucky!)

if she is a good eater, of course get her own kids meal. If you dont wish to pay for her, go to buffets instead or share off her plate...Some places the kids meals are good sized, and in others, my then three year old would eat the whole thing and look longingly at MY food (which of course I shared ,((cant even have my own yogurt anymore, KWIM??)))...most of the kids meals are not very expensive.

and Yes, I know *exactly* what you mean! The expense is not an issue, I just want to do some budgeting ahead of time. I think for now we will just budget for two kids meals each time and if we don't use it, we'll just have money left over, which is NOT a bad thing ;)

I'm glad I saw your post as I was wondering the same thing. My DD will be just 1 month short of 3 on our trip. She definitely isn't a big eater, so I'm glad she'll still be young enough to mostly get free meals this trip. However, I expect to pay for a few kid's meals at "sit down" restaurants as she probably won't want what's on my plate. I hope to try some of the more "exotic" restaurants in AK and Epcot as I kind of miss the variety from pre-daughter days... which will return again once she's ready to be more adventurous than chicken nuggets ;)

I have 2 DDs - 2 & 4 - and they shared almost every meal we ordered at a sit down place. Neither ever left hungry, but the couple times they finished their meal and could eat a little more we found we could share a dessert (with DH and I) and everyone was full and happy. Also - at the places where there were characters or entertainment the distraction factor was huge, they just didn't eat well at those. We usually grabbed a box to go, which they nibbled on about 30 minutes later.

We let our 4 & 6 and now they are 8 & 10 sometimes share a kids meal if they aren't very hungry. (have eaten too many Mickey Bars) Then they can share a fabulous dessert off of the kids menu. All of the sit down restaurants have neat desserts for children. We really like the chocolate Moose at LeCellier. It was very cute.

They share because we hate to waste food not because we are cheap. We find the kids meals to be on the generous servings side.

Lori

Before you order, esp. counter service, look around. Watch the sizes of meals coming out, in front of others, or on trays. Go from there. You might find it easier to order three adult portions, and split an adult meal if it is something they'd like.

Also, what about ordering an appetizer and a meal? And you know most any kid will jump at the chance for dessert!

Like others mentioned, kids will probably prefer smaller snacks and mini meals thru the day instead of a big meal anyway.

Have fun!! :)

~Mira

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter