Question about estimate finish, and proof of time submission...

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
When I registered for the Tower of Terror 10 miler, and Wine and Dine 1/2, I used a 10k proof of time of 51:33.
The thing is, I entered that info into a calculator I found online (can't remember which one now) that seems to take into consideration that you might go slower for a longer distance--so even though that 51:33 is a 8:19 mile, it calculates a 10 miler or 1/2 marathon at a slightly slower pace. For example, it figured that my half marathon time would be 1:54:XX, whereas a half marathon at a 8:19 pace would be just under 1:49...

Did I mess up? Should I have actually figured out what a 10 miler and a 1/2 at 8:19 would be and use that as my estimated finish time?
And if so, do the people at racetracker "catch" that and fix it for me? Or should I email them?

And on another note--I did a half marathon this past weekend and finished at 1:49:25. Should I submit that?

Sorry, I'm really not good at math/problem solving and am having trouble figuring it out. It's kind of important to me because I notice that last year, for Corral A for Wine and Dine it was 1:48:00 and below. I know that the corral placement times might vary each year, but that makes me think that my times might be at least somewhat close to Corral A and I'd hate to cheat myself out of that. :)

Thanks for any help. :)

Just to clarify your original question...just because you finish a 10k in an 8:19 per minute mile pace, does not necessarily indicate that you would finish a longer race at that same pace. In your case, it looks like you did better than an 8:19 per minute mile for your half, so I would definitely use that race. Typically, the longer the race the slower your per minute mile will be.

I would submit your fastest time for your race and estimate your time based on that race. If you finished a half in 1:49 and you think you could have done slightly better, then I would submit a slightly better time. I would be hesitant on submitting a 1:49 time and then predicting a 1:30 half though. That is possible, but highly unlikely unless some serious training occurred.

Just to clarify your original question...just because you finish a 10k in an 8:19 per minute mile pace, does not necessarily indicate that you would finish a longer race at that same pace. In your case, it looks like you did better than an 8:19 per minute mile for your half, so I would definitely use that race. Typically, the longer the race the slower your per minute mile will be.

I would submit your fastest time for your race and estimate your time based on that race. If you finished a half in 1:49 and you think you could have done slightly better, then I would submit a slightly better time. I would be hesitant on submitting a 1:49 time and then predicting a 1:30 half though. That is possible, but highly unlikely unless some serious training occurred.

Thanks! So, even though my time was 1:49--if I feel I could do better on a flatter course like at Disney (the race I did over the weekend was somewhat hilly) I can submit an estimated time of less than that? I thought our estimated time had to be what we have already "proven". Good to know! :)

Would 1:46 be reasonable? That gets me within last year's Corral A (though, I realize that the corral times might not be exactly the same this year...)

Thanks! So, even though my time was 1:49--if I feel I could do better on a flatter course like at Disney (the race I did over the weekend was somewhat hilly) I can submit an estimated time of less than that? I thought our estimated time had to be what we have already "proven". Good to know! :)

Would 1:46 be reasonable? That gets me within last year's Corral A (though, I realize that the corral times might not be exactly the same this year...)

Yes, you can submit an estimated time slightly, reasonably better than your proof of time. I recently submitted an estimated time about 5 minutes faster than the proof of time I was submitting along with the estimate, and they responded accepting my proof of time, but adjusted my estimated time to either 3-4 minutes quicker than my proof. (I think it was for Tower of Terror, I am hoping for about 0:30/mile better than my proof). So, I don't know the exact formula, but they will allow you to submit a quicker estimated time that is in their view reasonable considering your proof. I would certainly think they would accept a 1:46 estimate with a 1:49 proof for a half.

Edit: I realized I actually still had the email available. For this year's Tower of Terror, I submitted a prior Tower of Terror as my proof, and put my anticipated time actually as 6:30 faster than the proof I was submitting. They modified that to 5:30 faster than my proof. So, for a half, 3 minutes seems well within reason.

Yes, you can submit an estimated time slightly, reasonably better than your proof of time. I recently submitted an estimated time about 5 minutes faster than the proof of time I was submitting along with the estimate, and they responded accepting my proof of time, but adjusted my estimated time to either 3-4 minutes quicker than my proof. (I think it was for Tower of Terror, I am hoping for about 0:30/mile better than my proof). So, I don't know the exact formula, but they will allow you to submit a quicker estimated time that is in their view reasonable considering your proof. I would certainly think they would accept a 1:46 estimate with a 1:49 proof for a half.

Edit: I realized I actually still had the email available. For this year's Tower of Terror, I submitted a prior Tower of Terror as my proof, and put my anticipated time actually as 6:30 faster than the proof I was submitting. They modified that to 5:30 faster than my proof. So, for a half, 3 minutes seems well within reason.

Great! Thanks! I have a couple more races before the deadline, so I will wait and see how I do with those before submitting my revised anticipated time/proof. :)

How do you submit a new proof of time? Is there a form or do you just send runDisney an email?

E-mail disneysports@trackshack.com with the following information:

• Name of Race
  • Distance
  • City, State
  • Date
  • Finish Time
You might also provide a link to the official results to assist them in verifying your results. They've stated elsewhere that runners whose times can't be verified will be placed in the last corrals, so you can help them help you by providing a link for verification.

Hi! I'm getting ready to submit my proof of time for the Avengers and came across this thread. This is my first half and I'm new to the whole proof of time thing. I ran the Tinkerbell 10k this year and finished in 1:15:25 and I'm submitting that for proof. I've been training and have gotten faster. So can I submit an estimated finish time of 1:13 and not end up getting sent to the last corral for not matching my proof of 1:15:25?
And do I put this estimated time in the race finish time slot of the proof of time form, Or should I email run disney with the info?

Hi! I'm getting ready to submit my proof of time for the Avengers and came across this thread. This is my first half and I'm new to the whole proof of time thing. I ran the Tinkerbell 10k this year and finished in 1:15:25 and I'm submitting that for proof. I've been training and have gotten faster. So can I submit an estimated finish time of 1:13 and not end up getting sent to the last corral for not matching my proof of 1:15:25? And do I put this estimated time in the race finish time slot of the proof of time form, Or should I email run disney with the info?

There is a link to update your POT for Avengers on the RunDisney site. Go to the Avengers Race, click runner information and go to proof of time. It will link you to a website to update your POT. The rules are new for at least Wine and Dine and races after that. We emailed Trackshack to get the scoop. You MUST input all new information on the website. Hit update to see the site. Again, you must fill in all fields AND a link to your POT race results. They will give you an estimated finish time. It cannot be changed at all. Failure to update any of the information or if Trackshack cannot verify, they threaten you will be placed in the last corral. You have till tomorrow for Wine and Dine and Avengers. The link is also now up for Marathon weekend.

If RunDisney requires proof of time to be properly placed in a corral, why do they even ask for an estimated finish time? If I have proof that I ran a half marathon in two hours and put down an estimated finish time of 1:30, are they really going to place me based on my estimate?

The estimated time vs proof of time is where I got confused. When submitting the proof of time via track shacks new method there is not an estimated finish time entry, only an entry for the proof finish time. Like I said though, I'm completely new to this so I could be wrong. I don't think they will place you in a corral based off of an estimated time anymore. I would have liked to have submitted an estimated finish time, because I have gotten a bit faster since the Tinkerbell 10k race, but to make it simple for me, I just went ahead and entered in my proof finish time.

If RunDisney requires proof of time to be properly placed in a corral, why do they even ask for an estimated finish time? If I have proof that I ran a half marathon in two hours and put down an estimated finish time of 1:30, are they really going to place me based on my estimate?

Well..... I have a POT that puts me at some point over 3 hours. I used that for Disneyland half. I'm in the 5000s and got corral H. My brother put the same estimated time as me (he can go much faster but wants to run, slowly, with me) but no POT because his times would obliterate his estimate. He's in the 7000s and is in I.

Same estimate, one with a POT, and those are our results for corrals for that race.

Of course it means I'm going back to I which is not what I wanted at all. Oh well. :(

I think they will go more with your proof of time, instead of your estimated finish time.

I have proof of time for a 1/2 marathon slightly under 1 hr, 48 minutes--I ran a 1/2 marathon this spring in 1:47:48. That course was more hilly than Disney World, so I put my estimated finish time at 1:46 for W&D. When I looked at last years corral placement for W&D, it said that under 1:48 was "corral A"--so I thought a estimated finish time of 1:46 gave me a good chance of getting corral A this year.
But when I looked up my registration the other day, it has actually rounded UP my 1/2 marathon time and gave me an estimated finish time of 1:48.

So I'm thinking if corral placement is the same this year as last year, I will actually be in corral B, even though I have completed a more challenging half in less than 1:48.

Anyway, if your proof of time in a half marathon is 2 hours, I don't think they will let you estimate down a half hour, since it wouldn't even let me estimate down 2 minutes :(
They will probably adjust it for you when they review and verify.

I ran last year's Disneyland Half Marathon in 2 hours, 34 minutes and used that result as my proof of time for this year's race. I listed an estimated finishing time of 2:30.

Based on these numbers, I assumed that I was going to be placed in the massive H corral but was pleased to see that I am in corral G with the 2:15 to <2:30 runners.

Where can you submit an estimated proof of time? The only entry I saw when I submitted my proof of time ( via the new track shack link) was the actual finish time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter