• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about Hollywood Bowl

ChisJo

Cause afterall, a dream that you wish, will come t
I noticed that on one of the days that I was going to be the LA area, one of my all time favorite composers was going to be playing at the Hollywood Bowl, and I really want to go.
So, I was wondering what is it like to get to the Hollywood Bowl? I will be staying in Anaheim and am wondering how long it takes to get there?
Also, what are the seats like? I am really only there for the music, for don't care about the show, so what would be good seats? Are all the areas good for sound (i.e.: the $4 seats?), and how is the dress?
I know I will have more to ask, but I'll start with that.
Thanks, Jo

I love the Hollywood Bowl! I've gone to see John Williams conduct there for the past few years. Getting to the Hollywood Bowl isn't easy, you will need a car, and it will probably take you an hour or more. the trick is to get there early. That way traffic won't be bad and there will be ample parking. PArking is expensive, and there is no on street parking, so you just have to suck it up and pay to stack park in the lot. Pack a picnic dinner and some wine and enjoy your evening in the Hollywood Hills!

I usually get seats that are in the $15-20 range. My thing is I don't care how far back they are as long as they are in the middle.

The dress is extemely casual. T-shirt and jeans are just fine. Remember to bring something warm to put on. It will get cold after the sun goes down.
Melissa

The Bowl is just off of the 101 - the Highland Exit runs right in front of it. From DL you would go north on 5 then switch to 101. Yes, plan on at least an hour to get there especially if you are traveling in the afternoon. You may want to drive up earlier and spend some time in Hollywood. The Kodak Theater and the Walk of Fame is very close to the Bowl.

I've gone to see John Williams conduct there for the past few years.

That's who I want to see! I love John Williams music. I think I own most his works. I was hoping to get tickets to see him early September. How was he? Did he also have a show, or was it strictly music? Not that I need a show - his music is beautiful enough - but if there is also a show, then I might consider a better seat then the one's you suggested.

I think I'm almost more excited to see him then anything else. I am a die-hard fan...
Jo

It's been slightly different every year. He always does atleast a few of his own songs. One year James Taylor also performed his own work. You just won't know until the play list is released. there are large video screens for those with seats far away.

Melissa

I love the Hollywood Bowl...if you are here in the Summer, there's a free summer concert series for the kids. It's great. We went last year during the Fourth of July and it was the Sesame Street Special....all the Sesame Street muppets were out and singing patriotic songs with fireworks to end it all. It was awesome!

Tickets for the Bowl doesn't go on sale until May 7th at 10:00 am.

You can go early and bring your picnic basket, spend the afternoon/early evening there and then enjoy the concert.... Parking is a hassle. It's "stack parking".

missmulan said:
I love the Hollywood Bowl...if you are here in the Summer, there's a free summer concert series for the kids. It's great. We went last year during the Fourth of July and it was the Sesame Street Special....all the Sesame Street muppets were out and singing patriotic songs with fireworks to end it all. It was awesome!
Not sure what free concert you're talking about.

If the children's concert series you're talking about is the one in the morning Monday - Friday, that is not free; it's $5.00 per person for the concert, $3.00 per child for the outdoor studio.

If you're talking about the Fourth of July concerts programs in the evening with fireworks, those are paid admission too.

As to parking; I'd strongly suggest you use either Park & Ride or the Bowl shuttle. If the concert is sold out, there will not be enough parking onsite. Even if there is, it's still a good idea because you won't be stuck waiting for the people parked around you to arrive at their cars. Since it's stacked parking you'll be trapped until they do. If you wish to take the Park & Ride, there is no longer an Orange County departure point unfortunately. The closes is Lakewood. Bowl shuttle is offsite parking near the bowl. With Park & Ride they'll do most of driving for you but you won't have much time to picnic before the concert. Bowl shuttle service starts about 2 - 3 hours before the concert but you still have to make the drive up to the Hollywood area. The only advantage of parking on site is that you can get a picnic table if you're willing to get there several hours before the concert. You can always picnic at your seat but just be sure to allow enough time to eat prior to the concert. It's a major faux pas to eat during the concert. Also, keep in mind, they clear out the picnic areas within the bowl gates 1/2 hour prior to the concert.

Be sure to order your John Williams concert tickets soon; he always sells out. The seats that sell out first are the box seats and the cheapest seats. There tends to be more chatter during the concert in the cheap seats although I've heard a fair amount of chatter in the mid-price range too. Bring Binoculars or you can rent them there. If you have the time prior to the concert, visit the Hollywood Bowl museum. Lots of history of the Bowl and pictures of the old movie stars that attended concerts there.

You can find parking and concert information at www.hollywoodbowl.com.

thanks for that info! i had no idea it wasn't free. i remember several years ago someone said they were free. i've never been to the kids concert because it was always a trek for me.

i do go the Fourth of July one and i am definitely looking forward to this years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter