Question about hydration...

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
I've run a few 5k's with my dd (25). She has always been fine, no issues. Well, when we ran the Princess 5K, she did okay, until we got on the bus to head back to our resort. She said she felt nauesous. Ok. Well, by the time we got to the resort, she flew off the bus and ran to the room. She barely made it before she threw up a bunch of water! Then she felt fine. I've been told that this happened because she drank too much the day of the race but not enough prior. Is this reliable info? I want to make sure she doesn't have a repeat experience!!! If she hydrates more in the days leading up to the race, should she be okay??? Thanks all.

It could certainly be a bit too much water. My teenager did something similar on a 5K and got nauseated. As mentioned above, typically speaking fluid intake for a 5K during the race is probably unnecessary (or at least very limited) although in Florida that might be less true. Hydration before a race is definitely important though and in future, I'd encourage her to be well-hydrated going into the race.

Not a doctor, but my experience tells me that it is probably a combination of having too much water in her stomach combined with a reaction to the effort/heat. Either alone would probably not have been enough to make her vomit. When I run in tough heat I drink only a little bit at a time, even after the run, to avoid similar discomfort.

I hope that she doesn't let this turn her off from running. It sounds like something that she can avoid in the future.

Did she drink too much during the race or just before hand? I can see that happening.

Agree with everything above!

Being a CM, she was used to drinking throughout the day. But.....I think she underestimated what effect the humidity would have. Yes, she drank her usual amount the days leading up to the race, but I don’t think it was enough. And then probably over drank once at the race. I’ll make sure she hydrates better leading up to race day, and drinks less that morning! Thanks guys.

Generally speaking, there is MUCH more danger in overhydrating than underhydrating. This is borne out over and over again in races where people get sick from too much water. The bottom line is, a 5k doesn't require really any hydration during the race. Just drink a normal amount of water in the days leading up to the race, and make sure you eat some salty foods the day before, which will help retain the water. Not excessive salty stuff, just don't purposely eat "low sodium."

Have about 8oz of water in the hour leading up to the race. That is sufficient. If it will be very hot and humid, it's not a bad idea to drink a gatorade (just a small amount, like 8-12oz) just about 30-60 minutes prior to the race, instead of water.

During the race, don't drink unless you actually FEEL THIRSTY. People tend to drink too much while running and all the jostling around can make you feel pretty sick to your stomach.

I run 5k several time a week as a workout run, and I do take a 10oz water bottle with me, but that's because I don't purposely chug a bunch of water right before I run. I just sip on the water if my mouth gets dry from breathing.

Generally speaking, there is MUCH more danger in overhydrating than underhydrating. This is borne out over and over again in races where people get sick from too much water. The bottom line is, a 5k doesn't require really any hydration during the race. Just drink a normal amount of water in the days leading up to the race, and make sure you eat some salty foods the day before, which will help retain the water. Not excessive salty stuff, just don't purposely eat "low sodium."

Have about 8oz of water in the hour leading up to the race. That is sufficient. If it will be very hot and humid, it's not a bad idea to drink a gatorade (just a small amount, like 8-12oz) just about 30-60 minutes prior to the race, instead of water.

During the race, don't drink unless you actually FEEL THIRSTY. People tend to drink too much while running and all the jostling around can make you feel pretty sick to your stomach.

I run 5k several time a week as a workout run, and I do take a 10oz water bottle with me, but that's because I don't purposely chug a bunch of water right before I run. I just sip on the water if my mouth gets dry from breathing.
Thanks...that makes perfect sense. Yes, it was crazy humid that morning, but not bad enough that you needed to continually drink!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts