Question about new AKV Theme Pool

elijahpep

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
When the AKV new theme pool and villas are complete in 2009 (or is it 2011), will that pool be like SAB and only persons staying at AK lodge (cash paying guests) and
DVC members staing in the villas be the only ones allowed to use the new pool? OR will the new theme pool in front of the DVC villas be only for DVC members to access?

I realize there is no pool hopping at AK like BC/YC/BCV currently. Has it been determined if there will still be no pool hopping in 2009(or 11) upon completion of the new theme pool?

Not wishing to pool hop there myself, but was curious if the resort having 2 theme pools in the future would change the current no-pool hopping status that's in place.

AKV and lodge look as if it will pretty substantial yet glorious:thumbsup2
upon completion and will probably need the pools for it's own guests without any pool hopping. Can't wait to hear all the wonderful trip reports from the new AKV in the future. Congrats to all the new owners!:)

~DW:3dglasses

Nothing has been said about pool hopping. The new (and existing) pool will, however, be open to anyone staying at AKV or AKL.

My guide, who seemed very confident about this topic, said only DVC members staying at Jambo House and Kidani Village would be allowed to use the themed pools at Kidani Village and Jambo House (current AKL building).

General AKL guests who are staying at the Lodge will only be allowed to use the themed pool at AKL. They will not be allowed to use the Kidani Village themed pool.

As for DVC members hopping over to use the themed pools from other DVC resorts that still has not been determined and my guide was not sure about that topic.

My guide, who seemed very confident about this topic, said only DVC members staying at Jambo House and Kidani Village would be allowed to use the themed pools at Kidani Village and Jambo House (current AKL building).

General AKL guests who are staying at the Lodge will only be allowed to use the themed pool at AKL. They will not be allowed to use the Kidani Village themed pool.

As for DVC members hopping over to use the themed pools from other DVC resorts that still has not been determined and my guide was not sure about that topic.

That is very interesting. I really thought after seeing the resort layout that the new theme pool would still be closed to pool hopping, but I am glad to see this responce. It should make staying at AKV that more special with the incredible features that pool area will consist of.

~DW:3dglasses

Just to add a little historical perspective, in the months leading up to SSR's opening, most predicted that not only would pool hopping there be prohibited, but that DVC would eliminate pool hopping altogether.

Still waiting.... :rolleyes1

Personally I doubt that DVC has even seriously considered it to this point. And if they are inclined to prohibit hopping to 2 of 6 on-site resorts, perhaps that will be the final nail in the coffin and we'll lose the perk entirely.

There is only one problem with pool hopping and it is not from DVCers.

Ever seen the "full to capacity" boats from FW empty into WL, and they all have on swimsuits.:beach:

I have also been told (from FW's) that the VWL quiet pool is the best place for cannon balls and chicken fights because there are no lifeguards to tell you to stop.

Just to add a little historical perspective, in the months leading up to SSR's opening, most predicted that not only would pool hopping there be prohibited, but that DVC would eliminate pool hopping altogether.

Still waiting.... :rolleyes1

Personally I doubt that DVC has even seriously considered it to this point. And if they are inclined to prohibit hopping to 2 of 6 on-site resorts, perhaps that will be the final nail in the coffin and we'll lose the perk entirely.

I personally think that pool hopping as a perk is no big deal. Since DVC added the Sand Castle slide at OKW, there is really no reason to pool hop anyway, since all of the DVC resorts have great pools. I don't like to waste time on my vacation by taking the time to pool hop anyway, it's nice to just walk from your villa and jump in.

There is only one problem with pool hopping and it is not from DVCers.

Ever seen the "full to capacity" boats from FW empty into WL, and they all have on swimsuits.:beach:

I have also been told (from FW's) that the VWL quiet pool is the best place for cannon balls and chicken fights because there are no lifeguards to tell you to stop.

I can tell by some of your recent posts that this really bugs you! I guess I can't blame you. If VWL was my home resort I would be steamed also.

I personally think that pool hopping as a perk is no big deal. Since DVC added the Sand Castle slide at OKW, there is really no reason to pool hop anyway, since all of the DVC resorts have great pools. I don't like to waste time on my vacation by taking the time to pool hop anyway, it's nice to just walk from your villa and jump in.

I agree, but it's also a perk that costs Disney nothing to provide.

Personally I don't see any big reason to prohibit pool hopping to AKV. BCV is understandable given the enormity of the complex--Disney wants to protect those water park dollars.

As far as I know the pool hopping prohibition that currently stands at AKL dates back to the resort's initial opening. Back then they didn't even allow guests on property without a room or dining reservation. Disney feared that the savannah would draw gawkers in droves, thus overwhelming the resort. (Guess they forgot that you can do the same thing at a zoo. :idea: )

Anyway, I certainly don't count myself among those who will often use the pool hopping perk. But some seem to like it and I'm sure we'll feel a desire to visit another resort down the road.

The only justification I could see for prohibiting pool hopping at AKV would be due to the small size of the new pool. While the other water features being installed are nice, the pool itself appears to be the smallest feature pool at any Disney resort. But since Disney is only building 300 rooms adjacent to the pool, even crowds should not be a major issue given expected use patterns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter