• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Question about noise level at BWV

MemphisTN

Earning My Ears
We have been debating whether to buy at BCV or BWV, and are leaning towards making an offer at BWV this week.

I have posted a thread regarding what people liked and disliked at each. The two things I heard as some dislikes at BWV was the long hallway and the noise from the Boardwalk area.

I have read that the hall was anywhere from 800 ft to a mile, but the long hall isn't really enough to sway us away from purchasing there. My question is how loud does it actually get if you have a room overlooking the Boardwalk area? Is this a preferred room or a standard room? I have two small children but once they are asleep, you could pretty much knock a wall out of the house and they wouldn't wake up. I am a lighter sleeper so it would be more my problem than anyone else in my family. What times does the activities die down each night?

thanks

BWV is our home resort and we love it. Yes, if you get a room at the far end it can be a long walk, but a mile? We've had rooms with a Boardwalk view ( always our first choice ) and unless you leave the balcony doors open and you go to bed a 8pm, I've never noticed any noise. If you are concerned, ask for a preferred view of the quiet pool, but that is one of those long walks.

I am not really worried about the walk. Someone said it was like .5 mile to a mile for the walk. Then I read someone else said it was like 800ft and took about 3.5 minutes to walk it.. I figured it was more like the smaller distance.

I usually stay up late, in fact it is almost 12:30 am now, so there is no way that we would be going to bed too late. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too loud.

thanks

Honestly, I heard more noise from the hallways than the outside at BWVs. And primarily in studios only. Many people who are walking down those "long" hallways are carrying on their conversations at normal conversation levels. And occasionally you get crying kids or racing kids. If noise is a concern, request end of the hallway.

Yes the halls are long. If you've ever stayed at AKL, the rooms at the very end of BWVs are about the same distance back as the rooms at the very end of AKL.

But, in my opinion, the hallways really only an issue if you use the elevators regularly. There are staircases scattered along the hallways. That's how my family comes in and out of the building, so we don't really get affected by the hallways. Obviously if you use a stroller or a wheelchair, this isn't possible.

We've stayed at BWV many, many times and have always had the Boardwalk view. We've been every location from the 1st floor to the 3rd and every spot from right down by Jellyrolls to over the Screen Door. It can be noisy when the games are in full swing and people are strolling, but I agree unless you go to bed VERY early you won't notice that. Plus, with the doors shut, you really can't hear anything. DH is a very light sleeper and has never had a problem.

That being said, we've never been in a studio, so I don't know if those beds (particularly the pullout) would be close enough to the door to hear through it.

As far as walking is concerned, having stayed at most of the DVCs in WDW, there isn't one where walking might not be an issue, depending on where you're going from the room. BWV is one of my "homes", and yes, the walk to the elevators can be longish, but at VWL, the walk from some of the rooms in the Villas section to the restaurants isn't short, either. Same goes for SSR's Springs area to DTD, and some of the OKW locations to HH, or the launch area. (Yes, there are buses at SSR and OKW, but sometimes walking is faster.) I haven't stayed at BCV, but IMO, the walk from some of the villas to the main building's restaurants doesn't appear to be short, either. And once the Kidani section of AKV is built, these boards will probably hum with threads about looong, looong walks!:laughing:
Each resort has some villas where the location may not be the most convenient or the most quiet, or some other minus, but each one has its pluses. Since none are perfect for everyone, sort out what works for you and go with that. :goodvibes
I might be fairly easy to please, since I think they're all great. Wish I could afford them all!:rotfl2:

I also agree that the bulk of the noise for any view is from the kids running down the halls. The noisiest room that we've ever had was a 1 BR BW view on the 2nd floor just above the store.

It was quite loud when the games were running, but there was quite a bit of noise when Jellyrolls closed. I have to admit that it was fun watching security drive down the Boardwalk, clearing out the LOTW's :)

The week before, we had the same room just 3 floors above us, but didn't experience the same noise. It certainly wasn't enough noise to keep us away from the Boardwalk view. :thumbsup2

We own at BWV and love it there---great resort!

That said, it doesn't matter where you stay at WDW, if you have small children (or are a light sleeper yourself) it pays to bring a white noise machine along. With all the travelling our family does it has saved me more times than I can count.

I tend to go to bed earlier than most. I do remember falling asleep listening to the bell of the basketball toss game last Oct!! And since I am of an age where middle of the night awakenings happen, those times when JR's let out got a bit noisy. Nothing like a bunch of inebriated folks thinking they are being quiet!!!! And I was on the 5th floor no less.
But, BWV is my favorite spot in the world. Most of my stays there have been very quiet. I don't mind the long hallways....at least it's cool in them.

Agree with most of the posts above, the worst noise level is from kids running down the halls and adults not using their "indoor" voice late at night. These are noises that have awakened me more than outside noises. We are more often than not able to get boardwalk view studios, and the boardwalk noise factor has never ever been an issue for us. As you will see below my home base is BCV but we tend to like staying at the BWV best.

Terry

Saturday nights can get noisy on the boardwalk when the bars let out at 2:00am, most other nights are pretty quiet. The most noise I have ever heard at BWV was in a room facing the main entrance, a bunch of convention attendees were *really* noisy and the sliding door was not sealed very well (like many at BWV).

Could you type a little louder, there is some guy playing a piano riding a bike on the Boardwalk and I can't quite hear your question! :lmao: :lmao:

I think it depends on where you end up, what time you go to bed, and what level of noise you tolerate.

We found the noise level (we also had the room on the second floor right above the Screen Door) to be "noticable, but not disturbing except during Illuminations" (and everything in the Epcot area is noisy during Illuminations - we've been awakened by Wishes over at WL, too) even with the door shut. Other people have said that with the doors shut they don't notice a thing. I don't think years ago, when I was a city dweller, we'd have even noticed the noise - now that we live in the burbs, a little noise is much more noticable. We were also going to bed fairly early (we had little ones with an 8:30 bedtime), and were 2nd floor, right in front of the games and the boat dock.

I am obviously more than a little biased, but will be honest with you about the noise...
The games on the Boardwalk tend to end at 11, so the ringing, bouncing and such doesn't bother me. I am always up past then.
I have been awakened in the wee hours by the occasional loud drunken conventioneer, (couldn't possibly be a DVCer... because we have all passed out already :thumbsup2 ) but I think that is going to happen everywhere. And it doesn't happen that often, maybe 3 or 4 times in 9 years.
I have never heard anything from the bars or restaurants letting out.
I love the Boardwalk view because of the noise and excitement and activity. But by 11:30 it is done and time to hit the jacuzzi tub, put Stacy on the TV and fall fast asleep dreaming of tomorrow's rollercoaster lineup.

Thanks everyone. We ended up making an offer on a listing for the BWV. We Fedex'd the paper work back to the TSS for Monday delivery. Hopefully the rest of the process will run smooth and the listing will be ours.

thanks again

I enjoyed reading this thread---we are staying at BWV preferred view for the first time this October. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter