Question about Oct and crowds?

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
Ive been looking at our school calendar for next school year as my daughter is going in to middle school :sad: so its harder to take them out of school. Anyways we have some half days followed by a Monday off so we could potentially fly to CA on Wednesday after school and then come back Monday. Were in VA. It would only give us 5 nights with 4 full days there but I think thats ok. But the dates are Oct 8th - 12th. I looked at the is it packed website and those days says yup its packed. I was thinking Oct wouldn't be an awful time to go? Is that accurate that it would be crazy busy then? Anyone have advice on that time of year :) Thanks!

Ok I did some research and the 12th is Columbus Day. Maybe thats why. But anyone with experience if yup its packed is really horrible or totally manageable.

Last edited:
We went in Oct in 2018 around those dates and while yes it was busy we still got a lot done during the trip. I loved getting to see the Halloween decorations and it was my birthday too so it was totally worth it. I don't know that I expected the crowds to be as big as they were (I usually go in Aug and Oct was much busier) but with Maxpass and mobile ordering it was still a really great trip.

I believe those dates coincide with fall break for AZ schools. October 12,2020 is Columbus which is VERY VERY busy. I would plan for it to be busy, start early, use maxpass, mobile order,etc. The weather is also pretty nice at the time so that’s a plus.

I believe those dates coincide with fall break for AZ schools. October 12,2020 is Columbus which is VERY VERY busy. I would plan for it to be busy, start early, use maxpass, mobile order,etc. The weather is also pretty nice at the time so that’s a plus.

Thanks. Its not set in stone I was just looking at potential travel times, maybe ill scratch that wknd then. Id rather go in mid June after grad nights.

Thanks. Its not set in stone I was just looking at potential travel times, maybe ill scratch that wknd then. Id rather go in mid June after grad nights.
I personally would pick June over October. Weather is nice, crowds aren’t low, but they aren’t insane (from my experience). Just check the blockout calendar for passes. As long as Disney doesn’t change it, that can help understand some crowds. Usually right before people get blocked out, there’s an increase in crowds.

only thing with June is the date for Avengers campus hasn’t been released. It’s only “Summer 2020”. So that could impact things

Halloween Time is one of the busiest (and most fun!) times of the year at DLR! It is probably the second most busy time next to Holiday Time in the parks. With good planning, you can have a great time (just like with your summer dates). But October will be more crowded than your June dates, especially Columbus Day Weekend! Between June and October, if crowds are the deciding factor, I think June will work better for your family.

Be sure to consider the impact of the Halloween parties if you're planning an October trip. The party tickets add to the cost of your trip, though it does get great reviews. And if you don't do the party, it impacts what you can do that evening since one park closes to non-partygoers--and that in turn impacts the crowd in the other park.

Just more food for thought. There's a great thread on the Halloween parties where you can learn all about them.

Ive been looking at our school calendar for next school year as my daughter is going in to middle school :sad: so its harder to take them out of school. Anyways we have some half days followed by a Monday off so we could potentially fly to CA on Wednesday after school and then come back Monday. Were in VA. It would only give us 5 nights with 4 full days there but I think thats ok. But the dates are Oct 8th - 12th. I looked at the is it packed website and those days says yup its packed. I was thinking Oct wouldn't be an awful time to go? Is that accurate that it would be crazy busy then? Anyone have advice on that time of year :) Thanks!

Ok I did some research and the 12th is Columbus Day. Maybe thats why. But anyone with experience if yup its packed is really horrible or totally manageable.
As you do your research be sure to check figment_jii's thread
Read through the first three posts for specific information.

The crowd predictors have not been reliable for some time now.
Just plan for any time you go to have crowds....

Very interested in the responses here, as we are going that weekend for my sister's birthday. I know it's the weekend of Columbus Indigenous Peoples Day, but I'm hoping we'll still be able to get a bunch done with early arrival and Maxpass, and it seems potentially worth it for Halloweentime, Galaxy's Edge, and Avengers Campus.

We always have fall break the week of Columbus Day too and go to Disneyland during that time, and yes it is really crowded. But it’s also a really fun time to go! Just expect it to be busy, use maxpass a lot, and you’ll still have tons of fun.

We used to live in LA and would do the October visits. Halloween is awesome and certainly something to experience, but if you don't do the party, it can make the other park a little rough. That being said, it feels like, more and more, it is always crowded, but the key is to have fun and enjoy what time you do have.

have gone several Octobers and they get busier all the time. BUT with strategies and maxpass we get so much done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter