Question about parking

SheDaisy0088

Mouseketeer
I will be renting a ECV offsite. However, I am not staying at a on site hotel. So my big question is how do I get from the parking lot to the front entrance of the parks. I do not have a handicapped parking permit. My condition is one of not being able to stand/walk for long distances. I know that the trams are out of the question.

We are going at the end of the month for 3 days.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Are you bringing the ECV with you to the parks??

If so, just drive it from your parking spot to the entrance of the park. If you are parked way out, have your family take the tram.

Even from fairly far out spaces, there are walking areas all the way in to the gates, and you can take the ECV on those areas.

Carol

Tell the first CM that you see (and each one after that) that you have an ecv and don't have a handicapped parking permit. They do save some spots near the front for situations like yours. Also, some of the spots in the handicapped parking area are marked and need a handicapped parking permit. Others (the farther out ones) are still in the handicapped lot, but don't have any sign or wheelchair symbol painted on the ground, so you can park there without a problem.
You might also want to check into getting a temporary handicapped parking permit from your state Department of Motor Vehicles. Some allow you to print the form out from their website so you can get it filled out by the doctor before visiting the department.

There are parking spots at the end of the rows (closest to where guests board the trams from the parking lots) that CMs leave empty for people like yourself. The spots usually have an orange cone sitting in the spot. As Sue mentioned let the CMs know you have an ECV, plus you have mobility issues. One time two of the three adults in the car had mobility issues & the CM had no problem letting us park on an end spot.

You might want to ask your doctor about obtaining a handicapped parking permit. I was hesitant at first, but after reading many posts on this bb, I gained the courage to ask my doctor. There was a section on the form for my handicapped permit for people who cannot walk more than so many feet without stopping. That is the one my doctor checked off for me.

We have had debates/discussions on this bb about handicapped parking. From what you wrote, you might be entitled to a permit. I have good days & not so good days, so that sometimes determines whether or not I park in a handicapped spot.

I encourage you to gather the confidence & start by asking your doctor! Have fun at WDW!

I find it difficult to do PROLONGED walking or standing. When I asked my doctor about the possibility of getting a disabled placard for an as-needed basis, his attitude appeared to be "what took you so long to ask for one", he had me print a form off the DMV web site and he signed it for me.

Having it does not mean you will use it all the time, but it is available when you do need it.

Thanks for all the advice. I would definitely ask my doctor for a permit. However, whenever I mention it to my DH he acts like I am commiting a sin or something. He tells me that the only time I would need it is when we are at Disney. He doesn't like the thought of me needing special treatment. I told him that if it makes it easier for me then I see no problem doing it. Sometimes he is funny about things like that!!

I think I will call my doctor and see what he says. I have been under his care for about 6 months. He is a podiatrist and very good. The worst he can say is no right?

::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

just because one has a permit, doesn't mean one always has to use it.

at home on my better days, i park in regular spots, saving the handicap spots for those who need them more that i do.

but it's nice to know my tag is in the glove compartment and if the parking lots are very full and i couldn't make it to the store from where i'd have to park, i can use it.

tell your hubby that if you only use it in disney and never use it again, that's fine! nothing's wasted and nobody's hurt.

it's not a sin. i know it's sometimes hard to receive help (that guilty feeling). but try to look at it from the other side. you'd want to help someone else, wouldn't you?

If you tell the CMs directing parking traffic that you have an ECV, they will direct you to the handicapped lot. There are spots marked off with blue with no wheelchair symbol that you can use w/o a permit. I recommend these. It is safer than parking in the general area & driving in to meet the rest of your party as there is easy and visible access to cross traffic in your ECV. At resorts, we park close by the handicap spots for this same reason -- if there are curb cutouts, they will be nearby. I only use an ECV when at WDW and this parking stategy (w/o a permit) has worked well for me. Which is not to say that getting a permit is a bad idea, just that it isn't necessary to park in the handicapped lot at the parks.

:wave: Cupcake

Thanks for all the replies. It makes me feel better to know their are others out there going thru the same thing as me.

One difference that I did notice between Disney/Universal. We have annual passes at Universal. Free parking is included. Well, we told the parking attendant that we had a ECV and they directed us to the handicapped parking. This is after the first day when we parked in the regular parking and the parking attendant told us we should have asked about parking in the handicapped parking. Well, at the time I didn't think anything about it. The next day DH asked and we had no problems.

I guess the same is true about Disney. You never know until you ask. I guess that I feel a tad self conscious because the only time I really use a ECV is at Disney. I don't want special treatment just wanna be safe and have a great time with as little pain as possible.

You guys have given me the courage to tell the CM's that are parking the cars about my ECV. Like I said before this is the first time that we have rented from an off site company and went to Disney. Usually we would rent one at the parks and take our chances that their would be on available at another park. We like to park hop so for us renting one off site is the best possible solution. Once when we tried to go from AK to EPCOT they told us there were no ECV's available. So DH and I got lots of exercise pushing a regular wheelchair. LOL!!

Thanks again for all the encouragement!!
---------------------------------------------------------
Off in 8 days for our 8th Wedding Anniversary trip. Shhhh it is a suprise to my son!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter