question about Polynesian concierge

I called cro tonight to try to book a Polynesian gv concierge room this summer (end of august). I used the code from Mousesavers and the rate was $280 per night plus tax. the last time I tried to book a room with a code I had obtained on the internet, the CM turned nasty. Because of that experience I told this cm that I had gotten the code from a friend. Well, he saw right through that and joked with me that he found this code on the internet. He was extremely friendly and courteous and he said he would put us in the Tonga longhouse. Not knowing much about the concierge longhouses, I said fine. Does this building have only suites? Am I lucky enought to have gotten a suite for this great rate or will somebody notice and switch us to the Hawaii building. Has this ever happened to anyone else? In any case, I plan to write to WDW to complement this cm on his professionalism. I actually dreaded calling to book a room because a few past experiences were very unpleasant.

(1) The CM who takes your reservation does not make room assignments.

(2) As far as I know the Tonga longhouse consists only of suites that you would not in your wildest dreams get for $280.

I strongly suspect the CM was still joking when he told you he was putting you in Tonga.

The Tonga longhouse has one room that is a standard size with two queens and no daybed. It is used as an add on to the King Kamehameha suite but is some times used by itself and is usually $480 a night valu season. It is not usually requested on its own because you do not get the same view of the MK as with the Hawaii rooms and the lounge is in the Hawaii longhouse so you will have to walk over. This has been done before.

For pictures and info go to the link below. I will be adding more info on the suites as soon as I get the time to update the pages.

Aloha

Steve

Thanks tikiman for the information. I will have to call and request a room in the Hawaii building. My son and niece will be with me so we need a room with a daybed. Also, I would like to be in the same building as the lounge. I kinda thought it was too good to be true.

Perhaps the CM is a longterm employee that has had the opportunity to stay at Polynesian in concierge AND remembers the Hawaii building being known as the Tonga building. It's only been a couple of years since the name change--Tonga became Hawaii; Moorea became Tahiti. . .etc., etc. It could be he mistakenly said Tonga (as I still do on occasion) when what he really meant was Hawaii.

Even if there is an "add-on" in the now Tonga all suites building, I would think it unlikely that this room would be rented as a GV concierge room on its own. What would happen if someone really wanted to spend the big bucks and get the King Kamehameha suite--the add on wouldn't be available.

It never hurts to request a specific area and perhaps a call back to verify the building wouldn't hurt--maybe you could request the floor of your choice (knowing that it's not guaranteed)--and this would verify the building for you.

Thanks Tess. You make a very good point about the resort not wanting to make that room available on it's own. I am planning to call today to request a room in the Hawaii building. The Cm I spoke to did say he was putting us in Tonga because that's where everything else is. I suspect that he was thinking about Hawaii now that I know that the lounge is in Hawaii. Thanks for the input everyone.

Actually Melissa at the Island Planning office at the Polynesian is the one who mentioned that the room is booked quite often on its own because the King Kamehameha already has two separate rooms and usually does not need the add-on. Any time the King suite is booked and the add-on is not requested and the Hawaii is full they will fill that room. It would be classified as a garden view since all marina views are garden view.

Steve

I wasn't attempting to contradict your information Steve (or step on your toes) merely supply an alternative explanation. I know you are the Polynesian King when it comes to Polynesian minutiae. My knowledge is limited in that it is only from actually staying there for the past 8 years. I don't seek the inside scoop on all the details of Polynesian ops, but I believe you verify what I've said--the likelihood of renting the "add on" specifically is minimal. The add-on is used as "overflow".

It would still be my "opinion" the most likely explanation is the reservationist simply erred when naming the building. In all likelihood, the reservationist would have no idea how full the concierge building is/will be on the date booked by the poster.

Sorry if I inadvertently trod where I shouldn't. . .

Tess,

I was not offended in any way and I don’t believe my opinion is any better than anyone else’s here. I enjoy many of your post and I think you give out very good information. I am in no way the only person on these boards that has information on the Polynesian and I am sorry if you felt I was upset by your post. I agree that the best explanation was that the CM was referring to the only Hawaii building name. I would have never thought of that but it makes total sense.

I am sorry if I come off as a know-it-all about the Polynesian. I never intended to know so much about the resort but ever since the first creation of my web pages (which at first was just a collection of Polynesian pictures) I have many people looking towards me for information and I want to make sure it is accurate.

Aloha and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Steve

Tess, your suggestion was right on the money and I'm ashamed I didn't think of it!

Tikiman, your contributions are invaluable, so keep them coming. I would never have known Tonga (old or new!) from a hole in the ground if it weren't for your site.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!