Question about possible Toys R Us Bankruptcy

For the majority of the year, most items are priced identically on Babies R Us and Amazon. There were some good deals on Prime Day that I took advantage of this year on a few baby items. And there were some items that I got at Target or Amazon because Babies R Us didn't have them. After watching prices and sales for the last 8+ months, I can say that I definitely came out ahead with my Babies R Us registry over Amazon or Target because of the Endless Earnings program. It is now up to $166, which should easily cover the expensive bannister baby gates that we still need to buy.

We ended up not getting a lot of things off of our registry. Mostly people either bought us the big ticket requested items or clothes. Which was fine. I kind of used it as more of a checklist for myself and a guide for anyone that wanted it. I figured people would have a hard time resisting the urge to buy adorable little baby clothes. Anything I finished up buying myself I just bought from the store with the best price/deal. I'm glad Babies R Us worked for you!

Over simplifying here...
Chapter 11 = restructuring, meaning the company is trying to make changes to what they owe their creditors and business practices to become profitable again
Chapter 7 = liquidation

There are companies that go from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7 because they can't convince the judge that they can become profitable again

In my experience with Toys R Us lately... I use the Amazon app in TRU stores, scan the barcode and oftentime Amazon is significantly cheaper than TRU. So long as it's Prime eligible, TRU will price match. Lego is a big win - often $5 cheaper on Amazon. The other day we purchased a Star Wars blaster. TRU had it $34.99 with 30% off, but Amazon had it for $16.99. TRU priced matched at the register. FWIW - this is probably why TRU is in trouble....

Clark Howard said today that the official statement says they "intend" ( I believe that's the word he used or something similar) to continue honoring gift cards, but the reality is it will be up to the court to decide.

You didn't mention how long until you receive your discount. If you're looking at a few days versus a few months the answer could vary!

Clark Howard said today that the official statement says they "intend" ( I believe that's the word he used or something similar) to continue honoring gift cards, but the reality is it will be up to the court to decide.

You didn't mention how long until you receive your discount. If you're looking at a few days versus a few months the answer could vary!

I'm thinking my discount would come in early October but they never gave me an exact date, and I've also heard from a few moms that theirs were delayed in arriving for as long as up to and after their due dates. I went and spent the cards to be on the safe side, since like others said things could slip from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7 very quickly and losing my completion discount only put me out about $15 (which I made back in the value of a $15 item I got free with a coupon- yay!) I'm glad I did because when I went in there were already issues with gift cards and I've heard many others say the same- mine went through though! : )

I'm thinking my discount would come in early October but they never gave me an exact date, and I've also heard from a few moms that theirs were delayed in arriving for as long as up to and after their due dates. I went and spent the cards to be on the safe side, since like others said things could slip from Chapter 11 to Chapter 7 very quickly and losing my completion discount only put me out about $15 (which I made back in the value of a $15 item I got free with a coupon- yay!) I'm glad I did because when I went in there were already issues with gift cards and I've heard many others say the same- mine went through though! : )

Could you always just put everything aside with receipts and return it all for store credit and then use the credit to get the discount?

Could you always just put everything aside with receipts and return it all for store credit and then use the credit to get the discount?

I never thought of this! What a good idea! ETA: Although I've worked at places where they didn't allow this, I'd have to return it all then come back on a different day or to a different location to do it if that's the case at BRU. I'll have to do some research!

We did a registry consultation appointment and they told us that they would be happy to give us our 15% completion discount code early if we needed it. We just had to ask in the store at the registry desk. They only warned that it could only be used once. My due date is Oct. 13 and I got my code in the mail well over a month ago. I was just waiting for all of the showers to be done before finishing things off.

We did a registry consultation appointment and they told us that they would be happy to give us our 15% completion discount code early if we needed it. We just had to ask in the store at the registry desk. They only warned that it could only be used once. My due date is Oct. 13 and I got my code in the mail well over a month ago. I was just waiting for all of the showers to be done before finishing things off.

No way that's great! I'll have to go in and ask about that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!