Question about renting points

Sarah Harrison

Earning My Ears
Im interested in renting points but how do I calculate how many points I need or is that done by the person renting the points out? Thank you for a novice question.

google DVC points calculator, check which resort you want, type of accommodations (studio, 1bd, 2bd), view (standard, etc.) and dates. You can calculate it that way.

Don't worry about how many points you need. Just worry about the total price you pay. You don't buy points. You just rent a reservation.

Of course the renter should know how many points they need. I always calculate how many points I need for the season I am going (price varies per season). I don't want any surprises when I look for points. Owners specify how much per point, but depending on when you are going and how many nights, weekends or weeknights, the price can vary greatly. It is incumbent on the renter to know what they are looking for and how much they can spend. I don't ask the owner to calculate this information for me. It helps tremendously to know what the cost will be before requesting points. Points per night (less during the week, more for Fri & Sat) x how much paying per point per night x how many nights = total price.

Of course the renter should know how many points they need. I always calculate how many points I need for the season I am going (price varies per season). I don't want any surprises when I look for points. Owners specify how much per point, but depending on when you are going and how many nights, weekends or weeknights, the price can vary greatly. It is incumbent on the renter to know what they are looking for and how much they can spend. I don't ask the owner to calculate this information for me. It helps tremendously to know what the cost will be before requesting points. Points per night (less during the week, more for Fri & Sat) x how much paying per point per night x how many nights = total price.
But so many newer renters look at the fewest points per night and are surprised when their estimate is way off. Like they base it on a Value Studio and wind up with a savanna view. Or BWV standard and book the preferred.

Which is why renters should familiarize themselves with how to calculate what their price will be. It is extremely helpful knowing that S-Th is much cheaper than weekends and that values are cheaper than standard, etc. Sometimes an owner doesn't have enough points for that savannah view or preferred view, etc., so knowing the differences in price is imperative. You are looking at it as an owner. I am looking at it as a renter and wanting as much information so that I am NOT surprised and can jump in to rent when available. I am also saving the owner precious time knowing how many points I need and won't be asking the owner to check needlessly knowing I can afford what I am asking for.

Which is why renters should familiarize themselves with how to calculate what their price will be. It is extremely helpful knowing that S-Th is much cheaper than weekends and that values are cheaper than standard, etc. Sometimes an owner doesn't have enough points for that savannah view or preferred view, etc., so knowing the differences in price is imperative. You are looking at it as an owner. I am looking at it as a renter and wanting as much information so that I am NOT surprised and can jump in to rent when available. I am also saving the owner precious time knowing how many points I need and won't be asking the owner to check needlessly knowing I can afford what I am asking for.
But unless the renter has an owner who will walk the reservation, they are going to get preferred at BWV and standard or savanna at AKV. They are not always going to get a studio and might only be able to book a one bedroom.

If I rented my points, I'd tell a renter that X was available and the cost was $Y.

But unless the renter has an owner who will walk the reservation, they are going to get preferred at BWV and standard or savanna at AKV. They are not always going to get a studio and might only be able to book a one bedroom.

If I rented my points, I'd tell a renter that X was available and the cost was $Y.

That's how you would do it as an owner. I prefer to be educated at what my options are and be able to trust the owner to look at all the options and that includes value and non-preferred availability. Thankfully I work with an owner who looks at all availability and not just what will make the most $$ for her.

I am looking at it as a renter and wanting as much information so that I am NOT surprised and can jump in to rent when available. I am also saving the owner precious time knowing how many points I need and won't be asking the owner to check needlessly knowing I can afford what I am asking for.

As stated above, the more common issue is that renters want the cheaper value and standard villas which are often booked up the morning that the 11 month window opens. The owner winds up needlessly checking for availability knowing that the request is a hopeless fantasy.

Unless you are looking to rent prior to the opening of the 11 month window (and even then it can be iffy), make sure you can afford the preferred villas...

As stated above, the more common issue is that renters want the cheaper value and standard villas which are often booked up the morning that the 11 month window opens. The owner winds up needlessly checking for availability knowing that the request is a hopeless fantasy.

Unless you are looking to rent prior to the opening of the 11 month window (and even then it can be iffy), make sure you can afford the preferred villas...

You have validated why a renter should know what they can afford, so educating oneself with the points chart is important so as not to request a 'hopeless fantasy'. I don't know why an owner wouldn't want a renter to have some familiarity with the points chart.

You have validated why a renter should know what they can afford, so educating oneself with the points chart is important so as not to request a 'hopeless fantasy'. I don't know why an owner wouldn't want a renter to have some familiarity with the points chart.

The problem is most renters do not realize that they have hopeless fantasies. I have seen everything from the guy who wanted to rent 10 AKV Club Level Studios for his wedding party, to people pricing AKV Value 8 months out to compare to their POP reservation.

The problem is most renters do not realize that they have hopeless fantasies. I have seen everything from the guy who wanted to rent 10 AKV Club Level Studios for his wedding party, to people pricing AKV Value 8 months out to compare to their POP reservation.

The OP asked where to get information on points. I applaud any renter educating themselves how the points work.

The DVC points charts are available as well and that will give you a general idea of how many points it would cost for the reservation you might want. As mentioned here, renters need to be realistic in looking at what it might cost based on the many different room types available at the resort they are interested in. Obviously, the rooms that cost less are going to be harder to book so if one is deciding on renting a DVC reservation, have an idea from low to high end of what it might be. It seems that most are renting around $15 to $17/per point. There are different seasons so that will affect the price of the rooms in terms of cost. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter