Question about services available for my toddler

Harmony

DIS Veteran
We are planning to visit WDW in 2wks. (and counting)

However, I do have a son who was born with a very serious lung problem/birth defect. (CDH)

Today we had our visit with his pulmo and I talked to him about going to WDW. He had given his permission a few months ago (or else the planning stage would've been halted) so going wasn't an issue. But today he tells me that WDW is wonderful (or has been great) with many of his lung patients so to call WDW and find out what they can do to help make my toddlers visit go more smoothly.

First of all, who can I call and what kind of services can I ask for or find out more information about?

Esp any service that will help him see shows w/o having to wait in the heat...that would be *extremely* helpful as some children have been known to desat in the heat. My child...thank God...has never desated in the heat. I'm just planning on doing what I did last summer...visit gift shops or stay at the resort during the hottest parts of the day *but* if there is a way that I can enjoy the fun with the rest of the family and not fear the heat then that would be GREAT!

Thanks so much! :)

BTW...I also spoke to him about the stomach virus going around in central FL right now and asked him if it was 'safe' to take him to WDW anyway. He laughs and says..."Well, we can't keep him in a bubble, now can we?" That made me feel better! Of course, he did mention to "take extra precautions" and to "wash, wash, and wash" those hands of his. :)

I don't have time to write much right now, but I wanted to start you out with some information.
If you do a search on this board looking for GAC or Guest Assistance Card, you will find a lot of information.
A GAC is a tool to let the CMs (Cast Members) know what sorts of special assistance/accomidation is needed by someone with a disability that would otherwise be pretty much invisible. To request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your child's needs. You don't need to go into his medical problems or diagnosis. What they need to know is things like you posted here - that he will need a cool spot to wait. You might want to ask to have his stroller treated as a wheelchair. That way you could bring it into lines and use it like a wheelchair.

Thanks Sue M! I'll ask guest services when we arrive! :)

BTW...I tried the 'search' and it isn't working for me. I've tried it several times since I first joined this group and it's not worked once. What am I doing wrong? I click on search and type GAC.

I've had trouble with the search, too.
I have read that others use the hand held fans that mist to combat the heat. My son is heat sensitive also. And takes a medicine that amplifies it. I am hoping to be able to go into first aid stations and such 1. to cool him down 2. to do some sensory excercises 3. A stimuli break Gift shops won't work well for us as there is so much going on, maybe for a few minutes, but not to really cool off.
I think I will bring along a wash cloth also. Get it cold with water and apply to the back of his neck and forehead.

I always carry anti-bacterial gel with me. With a little one, in and out of bathrooms and the stroller can be a lot of time and effort on everyone's part. We just use a squirt of the gel throughout the day and wash well before eating.

mlwear said:
I am hoping to be able to go into first aid stations and such 1. to cool him down 2. to do some sensory excercises 3. A stimuli break Gift shops won't work well for us as there is so much going on, maybe for a few minutes, but not to really cool off.
I think I will bring along a wash cloth also. Get it cold with water and apply to the back of his neck and forehead.
It won't be a problem to use First Aid for that reason.
There are actually some
neck coolers that you can make (people with MS often use them to help with the heat) that are more effective/easier than washcloths. You can find them sometimes in the outdoor/camping equipment areas of stores like Walmart, but they are easy to make. And if you make them, you can personaize the colors/patterns to the person who will use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter