Question about Space Mountain safety

Atrain13

Mouseketeer
I know this is probably a silly question, but does space mountain use a seat belt and a bar to keep you in place? Next time we go, our oldest child will very likely be tall enough to ride it for the first time, she's just very skinny. She loves roller coasters so I know she'll be excited for it, but she likely won't be able to brace herself with her legs. I was just curious as to what's there for the safety. Thank you!

I know this is probably a silly question, but does space mountain use a seat belt and a bar to keep you in place? Next time we go, our oldest child will very likely be tall enough to ride it for the first time, she's just very skinny. She loves roller coasters so I know she'll be excited for it, but she likely won't be able to brace herself with her legs. I was just curious as to what's there for the safety. Thank you!
Safety bar. Yes, skinny girls are safe riding Space Mountain.

Space Mountain is just a lap bar, but they can lock it down pretty tightly, she should be fine!

Matt

Ok thank you, she will still be pretty young and it'll likely be her first big coaster so I don't want her to be completely turned off from them. With that being said, I know I rode it when I was around that age and I some how survived!

I remember years back... I don’t even recall a seat.. just sat down with legs out, I recall a friend with me and we held on to the handles on either side of our ship. Anyone else recall the original set up.
I’m def aging myself lol

Are you asking about Disneyland or WDW? WDW is a lap bar that goes between your legs. My son is really skinny and has been riding it since he was 6. It will easily keep you in. You put your feet on either side of the bar and kind of around the seat in front of you if your legs are long enough. Disneyland has lap bars. Disneyland has tandem seating (2 in a row); whereas, WDW is single file. For the life of me, I can't remember if the seats at Disneyland share a lap bar or have individual ones.

I remember the old set up. Just holding on to the sides made it that much more scary. The first time I was four and just made it on. My dad held me tight and I loved it. The next summer I went on with my mother and she didn't do such a good job and I slid all over the place. I was scared out of my mind and refused to ride it again for many years. I think I finally got brave enough to try again in jr. High and then they had lap bars and I could figure out why I was such a wimp
I remember years back... I don’t even recall a seat.. just sat down with legs out, I recall a friend with me and we held on to the handles on either side of our ship. Anyone else recall the original set up.
I’m def aging myself lol

I’m def aging myself lol
40032_422409006743_7976750_n.jpg

This is a photo I found online of the Matterhorn seats at Disneyland pre 2012. My memory of Space Mountain in the 80s was the same.

Hi there, while I agree with others that the ride is safe, I wanted to share my personal experience/feelings the first time on took my very tall skinny 5 year old on. Who had been tall enough since 4 to ride but we told him no!

First off, let me say he loved it and can’t wait to go back on.

For me, I was a little less thrilled given the seats at WDW are stacked front to back and not side by side. Couple that with the fact your in pretty much pitch dark and can’t see or touch him. When we arrived back at the station he was very happy, but also pretty slouched down in his seat. Again at no point did I feel it was unsafe, just all around uncomfortable for me as a mom then I even be able to see/feel he’s with me and ok.

He wants to ride the pitch black version at MNSSHP next week but I’m going to pass on that one.

When he’s got a little more muscle and bulk to him I might feel better that he can keep him self a little more upright and in a proper position. Again not really worried about something crazy happening, just more so worried about a pulled neck or bumps and bruises from slouching around.

Just my personal take on the question. You know your child and yourself best!

Hope that helps

Hi there, while I agree with others that the ride is safe, I wanted to share my personal experience/feelings the first time on took my very tall skinny 5 year old on. Who had been tall enough since 4 to ride but we told him no!

For me, I was a little less thrilled given the seats at WDW are stacked front to back and not side by side. Couple that with the fact your in pretty much pitch dark and can’t see or touch him. When we arrived back at the station he was very happy, but also pretty slouched down in his seat. Again at no point did I feel it was unsafe, just all around uncomfortable for me as a mom then I even be able to see/feel he’s with me and ok.

He wants to ride the pitch black version at MNSSHP next week but I’m going to pass on that one.

When he’s got a little more muscle and bulk to him I might feel better that he can keep him self a little more upright and in a proper position. Again not really worried about something crazy happening, just more so worried about a pulled neck or bumps and bruises from slouching around.

Just my personal take on the question. You know your child and yourself best!

Hope that helps

Ha, I end up slouched down and I’m a full grown adult.

I understand your worry! But she will be fine. When my kids were younger I would always reach forward a few times to touch their heads just to make sure they were still there.

Mine were each around 4 when they began riding. I was always able to reach forward a few times and give them a reassuring pat on the shoulder and ask them if they were having fun. Sure, its a bit uncomfortable leaning forward when you're getting whipped around but I think most adults should be able to reach if they or their child needs the reassurance.

Its just a lap bar.
If it wasn't safe for people to ride it would not be running.
Now if your daughter has a medical condition that would prevent her from riding like diminished muscle tone or something then I guess that's a different story.

I just asked my youngest DD (nicked named, munchkin) and she said that the bar is snug but she still gets bounced around. I also asked her if she felt like she would fall out and she said "No, but I also hold onto the bar real tight" :rotfl2: I do not totally agree with a PP that said it is not that wild, especially for the little ones that do not weigh a lot. I know both my DDs mentioned that their butts raised off their seats a couple of times during the ride. Which they thought was fun, but I would still consider that on the wild side. BTW, they both really like SM.

BTW, yes I remember the old version with the rockets that did not have bars, and the ride actually went faster back then as well. Man, was it a fun ride.

Last edited:
I have the same fear, and my boys are 6 and 8. They haven't ridden it yet! I know it will be fine, but, hey, I'm a mom :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter