Question about Space Mountain safety

I remember years back... I don’t even recall a seat.. just sat down with legs out, I recall a friend with me and we held on to the handles on either side of our ship. Anyone else recall the original set up.
I’m def aging myself lol

Yes, that was my first coaster experience and almost my last. My dad and sister were in one rocket and I was in the other. They had some sort of seatbelt that didn’t really do much so far as holding you in. Dad was hanging on to sis with one arm and the rocket with the other, and I was just trying to stay in the rocket until it was over. That was the first year it was open. I don’t remember if they had height restrictions back then because my sister was pretty young.

383115535_94080f9f11.jpg

My DS, at 6, screamed "I wanna get off" for the last half of the ride. When he got off, he smiled and asked if we could go again. My DS, 8, just started bawling. Both have been on it many times since and love it, but that first time was a shock to their systems. We'd only ever done Barnstormer or those kiddie rides at the Ex, so this was just something so different.

One other note, when they say "Make sure your things are stowed and secure, then MEAN IT!!! I had a camera in a case around my neck and thought that was just fine and well-stowed. It was a small rope, not a large one. But one drop on the coaster sent my camera up so high that the rope nearly came off my head. I was lucky, but I've never chanced it again. Make sure your things are secure.

I know this is probably a silly question, but does space mountain use a seat belt and a bar to keep you in place? Next time we go, our oldest child will very likely be tall enough to ride it for the first time, she's just very skinny. She loves roller coasters so I know she'll be excited for it, but she likely won't be able to brace herself with her legs. I was just curious as to what's there for the safety. Thank you!

My fondest Disney memory is chasing my then 3 year old daughter back to the entrance of Space Mountain moments before midnight with her screaming “ One More Time Daddy” all the way.

Yours will be fine if she meets the height requirement.

Hi there, while I agree with others that the ride is safe, I wanted to share my personal experience/feelings the first time on took my very tall skinny 5 year old on. Who had been tall enough since 4 to ride but we told him no!

First off, let me say he loved it and can’t wait to go back on.

When he’s got a little more muscle and bulk to him I might feel better that he can keep him self a little more upright and in a proper position. Again not really worried about something crazy happening, just more so worried about a pulled neck or bumps and bruises from slouching around.

Just a friendly reminder that Disney has great lawyers AND engineers and WDW doesn't make millions by getting people hurt or launching folks or kiddies out of roller coasters. You kid is at much greater risk in your car or riding his bicycle.

I was the person that asked about the Old ( wdw) ride
and the pix that are posted here are not at all what I recall. ??
I’m thinking it was very early 80’s.

We got in the ride and sat on the floor.. I don’t recall any type of seat ?? and the handles were inside along the long sides of the spaceship. I recall hanging on for dear life.

Does anyone recall this at all? I don’t recall any type of lap bar, but maybe a strap...
Now I’m Xtra curious. Maybe I was so scared I recall it wrong. Gotta google around lol

Mine were each around 4 when they began riding. I was always able to reach forward a few times and give them a reassuring pat on the shoulder and ask them if they were having fun. Sure, its a bit uncomfortable leaning forward when you're getting whipped around but I think most adults should be able to reach if they or their child needs the reassurance.

When my daughter was 4 or 5 and could ride for the first time, I reached forward the ENTIRE ride and held her in place. I literally felt my arms were going to fall off when the ride was over. And, sure enough, our next trip, when she was about 7, she asked me to do it again.

I know this is probably a silly question, but does space mountain use a seat belt and a bar to keep you in place? Next time we go, our oldest child will very likely be tall enough to ride it for the first time, she's just very skinny. She loves roller coasters so I know she'll be excited for it, but she likely won't be able to brace herself with her legs. I was just curious as to what's there for the safety. Thank you!

Not silly. Mine were 7 and 5 for their first rides on Space Mtn. It is safe and holds little ones in. Your daughter will love it. However, I do remember it being the scariest theme park experience of MY life. You are sitting in front of or behind your child...that is what bothered me....not sitting beside them....and not being able to check their bar myself.

I did ask the attendant to double check theirs b/c I did not trust my kids “pulling up on the tab” to prove it was locked in. Mommy worry took over. You will not be able to reach her to check her bar yourself once you are seated and “locked in”.

I was praying and anxious the entire ride. Ride # 2 was much more pleasant as we all “survived” ride #1 so I felt more relaxed and trusted the whole process a bit more.

We got in the ride and sat on the floor.. I don’t recall any type of seat ?? and the handles were inside along the long sides of the spaceship. I recall hanging on for dear life.

Does anyone recall this at all? I don’t recall any type of lap bar, but maybe a strap...
Now I’m Xtra curious. Maybe I was so scared I recall it wrong. Gotta google around lol

Yes, I remember those seats. You sat in between the knees of another person. It was that way when I was in high school in the early 80s.

Yes, I remember those seats. You sat in between the knees of another person. It was that way when I was in high school in the early 80s.

Those vehicles were in use at least through 1985, I remember them from Grad Night that year.

Try Googling with the year, like 1975 Space Mountain. Keep in mind that the Disneyland cars have two seats side by side, where WDW had one person sitting in front of the other, sort of between the knees, with no delineated seats. I have seen some official photos, but not much in the way of guest photos.

Yes.. One of my early memories was late 70's when I was turning 7 or 8. I rode with my dad and it was front rider sit between legs of back rider.. there was a safety belt I know, because during the ride I scrunched down because I thought the track was going to hit my head (they had glowing stars or something painted on them so they zoomed by your head).. I was so far down the belt was loose around me and when went over a hill I raised up out of the seat, my dad pulled me back down and held me in the rest of the ride. Kind of laughed it off at the time, but it could have been something bad.

My DD rode it for the first time last trip - she was 8. She was most definitely lifting up a bit... I spent the whole ride hanging on to her shoulders and being terrified - and reminding myself that I was 6 the first time I rode it and was clearly fine. She eventually told me to stop screaming in her ear because I was too loud :D She loved it.

F7612B60-B01E-4870-B88F-60C566D0C4D6.jpeg
Try Googling with the year, like 1975 Space Mountain. Keep in mind that the Disneyland cars have two seats side by side, where WDW had one person sitting in front of the other, sort of between the knees, with no delineated seats. I have seen some official photos, but not much in the way of guest photos.

This got me interested so I did google. Since I never made it to WDW before 1999 I only knew the one style. I don’t think I would have enjoyed the original!
From 1975-1989, rocket trains featured two seats, each seat designed to hold two passengers, the front passenger rode in the rear passenger's lap, for a total capacity of eight passengers per train. In 1989 the trains were replaced with the 3 seat configuration we now have today

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/wdw/spacemountain.shtml

Yes, they are safe.
Disney wants your child as safe on the ride as you do.
The last thing they want is an accident. It really causes too much paperwork ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!