Question about Space Mountain safety

When my daughter was 4 or 5 and could ride for the first time, I reached forward the ENTIRE ride and held her in place. I literally felt my arms were going to fall off when the ride was over. And, sure enough, our next trip, when she was about 7, she asked me to do it again.

Same, except for my son asking me to do it again. He hated me holding onto him.

And I felt stupid doing it the whole time.

You should have seen me the first time he and I rode rip ride rockit. We both ended up bruised from me holding his arm. After the trip I googled the vehicles and figured out how we were held in. :)

I don't know these people ... just found them floating around the internet :teeth:

Good view of safety bar.

And if a person being silly.

My son and his dad enjoyed looking asleep or dead on RnR for pictures.

I was so far down the belt was loose around me and when went over a hill I raised up out of the seat, my dad pulled me back down and held me in the rest of the ride. Kind of laughed it off at the time, but it could have been something bad.

Only if you had actually jumped could it have been something bad. The physics of it just doesn’t allow for you to go up high enough.

Only if you had actually jumped could it have been something bad. The physics of it just doesn’t allow for you to go up high enough.

Probably.... but there was defiantly air between my bottom and the seat which was pretty scary to my younger self.

I always worry about someone's phone coming loose and smacking someone in the face on the way down in the dark.

View attachment 351146

This got me interested so I did google. Since I never made it to WDW before 1999 I only knew the one style. I don’t think I would have enjoyed the original!
From 1975-1989, rocket trains featured two seats, each seat designed to hold two passengers, the front passenger rode in the rear passenger's lap, for a total capacity of eight passengers per train. In 1989 the trains were replaced with the 3 seat configuration we now have today

http://www.bigfloridacountry.com/wdw/spacemountain.shtml

Wow!!! Exactly as I remembered... sitting on the base of the ride... my university friend n I scared out of our minds and holding on for dear life... I clearly recall going up out of the seat at times... and so afraid to lose my glasses didn’t wear them.. so couldn’t even see correctly.
Now That was a wild ride lol.

Fast forward.. think I rode it last a year ago... with my ds, who loves it.. I still was scared..
good times and Another Great Family Disney Memory!
THANKS so much for giving me this wonderful reminder.. :)

Rides like Space Mountain are extensively engineered to be safe. As long as a kid hits any height requirements, they are not going to fall out, no matter how skinny they are.

Thanks for the info and the stories.

I'll still be worried about this because well, I'm a parent and that's what i do. But my head knows best and I know nothing will happen. I'm excited for her riding it now. Only 440 days, sheesh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter