Question about SSR

Parkhopper13

Mouseketeer
Hello, I am new to this site and DVC. I am doing my due diligence to learn more before buying. I have a very good working knowledge of DVC at this point but have one question for members. I am not sure which home resort to buy. I like SSR because of the extra 12 years on the contract, but I get the impression I am in the minority. I have read of people selling Saratoga Springs to buy other resorts at the same price or more. Considering SSR is going for about $85/point and beach club is going for about $95/pont for twelve less years, I feel like I'm missing something. I am young and plan to be around when the club expires, but I can't see the point of the price difference all for the right to book your trip 11 months in advance as opposed to 7 months in advance. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated on this.
:confused3

As the number of DVC members continues to grow, it is getting harder and harder to get into the smaller DVC resorts (BCV, VWL, BWV) without the 11 month booking advantage.
If someone wants to stay at these resorts on a regular basis, then having them as a home resort is becoming necessary.
For someone that does not care which resort they stay at, the home resort advantage is much less important.
It is easier to get a room at the larger DVC resorts: OKW & SSR, because they have more rooms available. Also the location of BCV, BWV and VWL appeals to a lot of people because they are all within very easy access to at least 1 major park, so a lot of people try to get into these resorts. Since they have less rooms to begin with, combined with their popularity makes getting rooms in these resorts difficult at times.
It is basically all about supply and demand and popularity.

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME to the Disboards! :)

You are doing well to ask these questions before making any financial investment in DVC.

There is no magical formula to say what's best for everyone. It really depends on your circumstances, your vacation needs and what you are looking for in your DVC membership.

If the extra 12 years is the most important thing to you (and that's a valid reason) then SSR is the way to go.

If you don't think you'll be able to plan/book your vacations more than 7 months ahead then you might as well buy the DVC with the lowest purchase price and dues. No reason to worry about which resort you own at in that example because all points at all DVC resorts are the same within 7 months and can be used at any of the DVC resorts equally.

If you think you really like a particular resort, then it starts getting trickier. BCV and VWL are relatively small and sometimes hard to book without the ownership booking advantage. BWV has some rooms that use few points per night (Standard View) and those can be hard to get without owning there. Grand Villas at any DVC resort can be a challenge without home ownership booking advantage.

So it really depends on you. If you like SSR well enough and the 12 extra years are appealing, then I'd go with SSR. If you have your heart set on staying elsewhere much of the time, I'd look into buying at that resort via resale.

Here's a thread with a lot of good information for people looking into DVC.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=778634&page=1&pp=15

Thanks for the great info. It's always so nice dealing with "Disney People". Always so helpful and polite. I look foward to my membership and first DVC trip.

One other thing to ask yourself is whether you think you'll have flexibilty for vacation times. If you aren't tied to the busier seasons, both school holidays and DVC-popular (not always the same), a 7-month window may be enough to get into at least your first or second choice resorts, and those 12 extra years would be very important.
As many have said, make sure you have a pretty good idea of what'll work best for you in all aspects. :thumbsup2
Good luck. :wave:

Parkhopper13 said:
I have read of people selling Saratoga Springs to buy other resorts at the same price or more. Considering SSR is going for about $85/point and beach club is going for about $95/pont for twelve less years, I feel like I'm missing something.
:confused3

When I called about the SSR because im planning on buying into the program I was told that the price was 101$ a point.... so i am totally confused???

is the one you are looking into a resale? or new? cause i was quoted for the new section of SSR thats being built now....

Plus i thought you could only buy into what they were selling at the moment for example SSR is the one thats being built would I beable to buy into say like the VWL? :confused3

I have so much to learn about the DVC... :teacher:

Yes, I am talking about resale. I find the resale market offers a better value. This is only my experience and others may disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter