Question about the pools on board

Bobbimom23

Family travel guide
We are going on the Western cruise on July 19th. My dd is a competitive swimmer and wants to be able to keep 'training' while we are away. I never thought about the pool sizes or anything when we started planning this vacation! I assume the kids pool and probably the family pool do not have a lap lane. Does the adult pool have a lap lane? If it does, perhaps I can get special permission for her to train...

Thanks for your help!

Bobbi

The pools are very small and with all the people using them
anyway there is no room for swimming, just to get wet.
You can do some good swimming at Castaway. That's usually what I do.

Raisin's right - there is no lap swimming in any of the pools. They're far too small. They're probably smaller than most backyard swimming pools, too. Plus, with the # of people using them to cool off, I can't see how anyone could swim from one end to the other without being really disruptive to everyone else - hopefully she can get some good training swims done right before the cruise & again when you get home. I'm not aware of any cruise line that has a pool suitable for laps.

Even if the adult pool was empty, I don't think they would give anyone under 18 use of the pool. Someone had a thread about trying to get their daughter into the workout facilities for therapy reasons after surgery(?) and they were told no. Disney is pretty strict about age rules.

The pools have no lap lanes and will be far to crowded even if there were. There is a crew pool in the front of the ship that is hardly ever used, only thing is, is it not a fresh water pool and is also small. You may be able to get special permission to use that one if she trains early in the morning. If not your going to 4 ports of calls can she use the ocean?

When we went (in the Fall) the pool was often empty during dinner time, and 1st thing in the morning. I'm not sure how long she needs to swim for but it seems she should be able to get 30 min or so with the pool pretty empty at either of these times. Castaway Cay..she can swim for miles!:D

Hi Mary, She won't have any problems if she were traveling in the fall like we like to do. The ship is not crowded at all, don't you love it. On our last cruise I bet there was never any more then 6 people at a time in the adult pool.

I noticed the comment about the crew pool not being fresh water. Are the other pools fresh water? My DD asked this the other day and I didn't have the answer. I just assumed that all the pools are salt water. That has been my experience on other cruises.

Thanks

Originally posted by labr
I noticed the comment about the crew pool not being fresh water. Are the other pools fresh water? My DD asked this the other day and I didn't have the answer. I just assumed that all the pools are salt water. That has been my experience on other cruises.

Thanks

Yes, the DCL pools are fresh water (much more kids friendly), unlike our experiences on Princess and Carnival.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter