Question About the Shingles Vaccine

I think I'm misunderstanding something here, so I'd appreciate it if someone can straighten me out. Why are so many folks with no particular medical needs wanting to get the vaccine younger than 60?

As I understand it, you can only get the vaccine once in your lifetime and it protects you for about 5 years. 60 is the recommended age because trials have shown ithe vaccine to be the most effective at that age, and the serious disease effects (namely permanent and severe nerve pain) are most likely at that age.

While I don't want shingles in my forties, I DEFINITELY don't want shingles in my sixties. So I think I'll wait and get my one and only vaccine then.

ETA: thanks gemini2727 you answered my question while I was asking it ;)

Thanx for more info guys. I didn't realize it was a one and done vaccine for now. Guess I'll wait the 9 years and pray I don't get shingles in the mean time.

I think I'm misunderstanding something here, so I'd appreciate it if someone can straighten me out. Why are so many folks with no particular medical needs wanting to get the vaccine younger than 60?

As I understand it, you can only get the vaccine once in your lifetime and it protects you for about 5 years. 60 is the recommended age because trials have shown ithe vaccine to be the most effective at that age, and the serious disease effects (namely permanent and severe nerve pain) are most likely at that age.

While I don't want shingles in my forties, I DEFINITELY don't want shingles in my sixties. So I think I'll wait and get my one and only vaccine then.

ETA: thanks gemini2727 you answered my question while I was asking it ;)

I think because we have all heard horror stories of people with really bad cases. I want it because I have a compromised immune system.

I had also read that it is a one time shot and one of the reasons they want to give it at sixty is because it has not been studied in younger people.

Thanx for more info guys. I didn't realize it was a one and done vaccine for now. Guess I'll wait the 9 years and pray I don't get shingles in the mean time.

I think it's only considered "one and done" at the moment because the assumption was, if you got the shot at 60 you would be protected for the rest of your lifetime. I suspect that once they come up with a booster, that age might start shifting because they also assumed that it was only an affliction of the 60 and up demo. Eventually, the whole thing will be a moot point because they have come to realize that you're better off not getting chicken pox in the first place so kids now are getting vaccinated against chicken pox, nipping in the bud any chance of developing shingles in the future.

T

This just received FDA approval and is recommended for anyone 50 and over. I read that it is supposed to be 90% effective. It is two doses taken six months apart.

I will be looking into it. My brother who is late 40's had shingles a year or so ago in his eye. It was absolutely horrific and he almost lost his sight. My sister in law also had it in her 30's as well as my mother in law and father all getting it. I saw what they all went through and will do the vaccine. My mother in law was lucky in that she had a mild case. The others had an awful, extremely painful time with it and still have nerve pain from it.

T

This just received FDA approval and is recommended for anyone 50 and over. I read that it is supposed to be 90% effective. It is two doses taken six months apart.

I will be looking into it. My brother who is late 40's had shingles a year or so ago in his eye. It was absolutely horrific and he almost lost his sight. My sister in law also had it in her 30's as well as my mother in law and father all getting it. I saw what they all went through and will do the vaccine. My mother in law was lucky in that she had a mild case. The others had an awful, extremely painful time with it and still have nerve pain from it.

I think I read that this is not a live vaccine, I could be wrong, but if it is not live I would be happy. That is good for those who are immunocompromised.

When I was 18 I had a rash on my shoulder. Mom sent me to the doctor who diagnosed it as shingles. This was almost 50 years ago and from what I'm reading 18 is pretty young to get shingles. Is there any way to know if I have had shingles and wondering if I would need the shot if I already had it?

When I was 18 I had a rash on my shoulder. Mom sent me to the doctor who diagnosed it as shingles. This was almost 50 years ago and from what I'm reading 18 is pretty young to get shingles. Is there any way to know if I have had shingles and wondering if I would need the shot if I already had it?

I believe you can get shingles more than once, but I am not sure.

I apologize if this is a silly question but if you have never actually had the chicken pox does that mean you can't get shingles? I have definitely not had chicken pox (tested several times).

I apologize if this is a silly question but if you have never actually had the chicken pox does that mean you can't get shingles? I have definitely not had chicken pox (tested several times).

I've had both.

Edit to add: Oops, I read your post wrong. So I didn't answer your question.
I believe you can get shingles more than once, but I am not sure.
You can. My mom had them multiple times.

Last edited:

You can only get shingles if you have had chicken pox from what I understand. The chicken pox virus stays dormant in your system and can come out later as shingles. You should, however, look into the chicken pox vaccine if you have not had it yet.

I had shingles when I was 29. It was awful. I had a 1 and 2 year old at the time. My mom just had it last winter when she was 58. The Dr. did give her the Shingles vaccine over the summer. They had to code it differently for insurance to cover it since she was not 60. I am very worried about getting it again so I am going to talk to the dr. when I go for my check up in the spring.

You cannot get shingles. However if you are around someone who has shingles you can get the chicken pox. It has to be direct contact though.

yes you can get it multiple times. As long as the virus is in your body you can get it. Once it finally runs it course I was you can't get it again.

yes you can get it multiple times. As long as the virus is in your body you can get it. Once it finally runs it course I was you can't get it again.
I had shingles this summer and my doctor said that I could not get it again.

Will they give it to you if you're younger? I'm 51. I've had two younger sisters get shingles--one was 28 and the other 32 at the time. My 49 year old brother in law got shingles last month as well. Weird--I'd never heard of shingles 10 years ago.

My doctor recommended it at 50. I didn't get the shot but did get shingles when I was about 55. It wasn't a bad case, just on the top of one thigh and was below the skin so no itchy running rash. Just lots of pain in my thigh, which just so happened to be the place I had my one chicken pox.

That's what I thought....and hoped. I had the vaccine as an adult but it was a long time ago and I am sure I need it again or a booster. (Although I seem to have a natural immunity to chicken pox if there really is such a thing) Prior to the vaccine both of my children got them and I still didn't even though I was home with them throughout it's course. I worked in a hospital at the time and they didn't want me at work in case I was contagious. I definitely haven't had them...hoping to keep it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!