Question about transferring borrowed points...

DduzDis

DIS Veteran
It seems like I have read/heard somewhere that borrowed points cannot be transferred. We are trying to team up with our friends who are also DVC members to combine for a OKW GV. However, I'll need to borrow points for that. He has the points (and home resort advantage) to cover at 11 months, but I would need to transfer points at the 7 month mark to pay him back. Would this be possible with my borrowed points? His home resort is OKW and mine is BLT, both Feb UY if that makes a difference. Thanks!

You cannot transfer points that have already been banked or borrowed. In addition, points transferred to a member can be banked but not borrowed (so your solution is not to transfer your later use year's points to him and have him borrow them to make the reservation).

In your situation, the solution is for him to reserve part of the vacation time at 11 months out using his points, and then at 7 months out you make a separate reservation for the same type of room for the remaining nights using your points, including those you need to borrow. Make sure the two reservations have the same guests listed on them (including the exact same names). After the reservations are completed, contact MS and have it link the two reservations, which will prevent your having to move while there.

Just be aware that there is no certainty any OKW GV's will be available to reserve at 7 months out and thus you may need a back-up plan if you are unable to reserve the needed OKW GV time with your points. If the time you are looking at is between late Sep and marathon weekend in Jan, there is a high risk that you will not be able to book OKW GV time at 7 months out. For the rest of the year, there are often times OKW GVs are open at 7 months out and times when they are not.

Also be aware that if you want to attempt to get the GV at both 11 months and 7 months out, your friend should not reserve an OKW GV in the near Hospitality House booking category. Those GV's are virtually never open at 7 months out.

Last edited:
You cannot transfer points that have already been banked or borrowed. In addition, points transferred to a member can be banked but not borrowed (so your solution is not to transfer your later use year's points to him and have him borrow them to make the reservation).

In your situation, the solution is for him to reserve part of the vacation time at 11 months out using his points, and then at 7 months out you make a separate reservation for the same type of room for the remaining nights using your points, including those you need to borrow. Make sure the two reservations have the same guests listed on them (including the exact same names). After the reservations are completed, contact MS and have it link the two reservations, which will prevent your having to move while there.

Just be aware that there is no certainty any OKW GV's will be available to reserve at 7 months out and thus you may need a back-up plan if you are unable to reserve the needed OKW GV time with your points. If the time you are looking at is between late Sep and marathon weekend in Jan, there is a high risk that you will not be able to book OKW GV time at 7 months out. For the rest of the year, there are often times OKW GVs are open at 7 months out and times when they are not.

Also be aware that if you want to attempt to get the GV at both 11 months and 7 months out, your friend should not reserve an OKW GV in the near Hospitality House booking category. Those GV's are virtually never open at 7 months out.

Excellent insight. I had not thought of that plan (exactly why I post here). Thanks!

Another option would be for your friend to make the reservation using current UY points and borrow from next year too. To "pay" him back you could transfer your points from next year instead of borrowing them.

if you have already borrowed your points then its not an option.

So it looks like we will be acquiring a BWV contract with an April UY. Would I be able to combine points from that contract and my BLT Feb UY points at the 7 month mark?

So it looks like we will be acquiring a BWV contract with an April UY. Would I be able to combine points from that contract and my BLT Feb UY points at the 7 month mark?

Points from different use years cannot be combined to reserve a night absent a transfer of points. To make one reservation using both sets of points, you either have to first transfer points from one use year to the other, or book some of your nights using one use year, and the remaining nights using the other, and then have MS link the reservations so you can keep the same room for all nights.

If you use the transfer method, you lose the 8 a.m. reservation time advantage because when the transfer involves points from different use years, you have to call to use them in a reservation and thus cannot reserve until 9 at exactly 7 months out. Use of the method of making two separate reservations and then having them linked means you have two separate 7 month out dates for completing the reservations.

Last edited:
Points from different use years cannot be combined to reserve a night absent a transfer of points. To make one reservation using both sets of points, you either have to first transfer points from one use year to the other, or book some of your nights using one use year, and the remaining nights using the other, and then have MS link the reservations so you can keep the same room for all nights.

Great thanks. Looks like a transfer might be the easiest in this case.

Great thanks. Looks like a transfer might be the easiest in this case.

I added the downside of a transfer in the post above. Also, there is still the rule prohibiting more than one transfer per use year, either in or out. Thus, a member's transferring once from one account to the other uses up the allowed transfers for both accounts. In the past, DVC has often been lenient on that rule when it is the same member with the two accounts and allowed more than one transfer per use year. However, that practice has never become a written exception to the one transfer rule, and sometimes members report MS not allowing that exception, although usually it is just a matter of whom you talk to.

I added the downside of a transfer in the post above. Also, there is still the rule prohibiting more than one transfer per use year, either in or out. Thus, a member's transferring once from one account to the other uses up the allowed transfers for both accounts. In the past, DVC has often been lenient on that rule when it is the same member with the two accounts and allowed more than one transfer per use year. However, that practice has never become a written exception to the one transfer rule, and sometimes members report MS not allowing that exception, although usually it is just a matter of whom you talk to.

Thanks for the insight. This should be a very infrequent if not one-time thing. I think once will be enough for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter