Question about Universal APs

In my own experience, when we bought the seasonal AP last year, we did NOT get the 15 month promotion but were offered it upon renewal. So I also agree its likely for renewals only at this point. Also, at the time I purchased the seasonal pass, you could only pay in full and payment in installments was not an option.

when we go to the park to pick up the passes does everybody need to have id to activate them or only me.

From what I recall, I had to show ID and my credit card to pick up the APs, but when we went through the turnstyles, we each did the fingerprint thing as normal with tickets. We didn't show ID at the turnstyle the first time when they were actually activated.

Their website shows up to 6 months free if you buy/activate by April 3, it isn't just for renewals as it offered me the season pass when I went through a booking to get an idea of costs. The seasonal one is the only one you can't make installments on. I'm curious why you would buy a regular pass and upgrade it at the gate, does that save money? I'm considering going in March, and we will be in Orlando again in August, ostensibly for Disney but if I have a season pass I could see adding a few Universal days. Then perhaps we could go again the following March (if the pass is good for 15 months). I'm still trying to figure out the Universal stuff so trying to get the best deal.

While they are offering an extra 3 months on Seasonal and Power passes, and 6 months on preferred and premier, they have also gone up in price.Seasonal was $284.99, is now $309.99 etc.

While they are offering an extra 3 months on Seasonal and Power passes, and 6 months on preferred and premier, they have also gone up in price.Seasonal was $284.99, is now $309.99 etc.
So for a AP, not a RENEWAL, the 2park Seasonal Pass is 15 months rather than 12 months, 3 months free, it is $309.99, before or after tax?:confused:
Thanks!:goodvibes

I just renewed my AP and they gave me an additional 3 months. Then today I saw they are giving an extra 6 months so I called and complained and got an additional 3 months (total 6 months free)

I just renewed my AP and they gave me an additional 3 months. Then today I saw they are giving an extra 6 months so I called and complained and got an additional 3 months (total 6 months free)

I renewed my preferred last month. Guess its worth a try...

The AP line closed at 7 so I'll have to try tomorrow. If the price went up in the mean time I'm probably out of luck though. I paid $412.36 including tax, current 3 park preferred AP renewal is listed at 403.19 + tax.

(No they did not give me the extra 3 months. :()

Last edited:

I just sent them an email to extend mine I purchased two weeks ago - will let you know what they say

Since we are going mid December, don't know if the weather will be warm enough for Volcano Bay, hoping! So, think we will purchase 2 park, buy 2, get 2 days free then upgrade to AP at park. Will either upgrade to 3 day park to park or stay with 2 day park to park. We'll see, hoping for warm enough weather, but being at Universal will be great for a pre holiday trip!:santa: It is my understanding, that the 15 months for AP is for AP renewals, not for new AP.

Is it really that easy? Seems the AP is not that much more than the buy 2 day get 2 day free cost (for kids, $254 vs. $304 for seasonal pass). I'm new to Universal, so still trying to learn! Am I correct that these prices are not that different and they can be converted to APs?

Thanks!

Is it really that easy? Seems the AP is not that much more than the buy 2 day get 2 day free cost (for kids, $254 vs. $304 for seasonal pass). I'm new to Universal, so still trying to learn! Am I correct that these prices are not that different and they can be converted to APs?

Thanks!

Yes they can be converted to AP's - HOWEVER after reading the T&C of the extra months promotion, it appears that if you upgrade to AP after buying regular tickets, you would NOT be able to get the 3 or 6 months free. There's a clause in there that says offer cannot be applied to prior purchases.

Yes they can be converted to AP's - HOWEVER after reading the T&C of the extra months promotion, it appears that if you upgrade to AP after buying regular tickets, you would NOT be able to get the 3 or 6 months free. There's a clause in there that says offer cannot be applied to prior purchases.

I hope that means you can't get the extra months added to an annual pass you have already purchased... We were going to buy tickets from Undercover tourist and then convert after we got there...

SO, IF you are upgrading after purchasing a 2 park buy 2 get 2 free, you are saying that the extra 3 months if you upgrade to a seasonal pass does not apply?:confused3 If that he the case, I think that I will purchase the AP initially, instead of purchasing the buy 2 days get 2 days free promo, since the extra 3 months would not apply

SO, IF you are upgrading after purchasing a 2 park buy 2 get 2 free, you are saying that the extra 3 months if you upgrade to a seasonal pass does not apply?:confused3 If that he the case, I think that I will purchase the AP initially, instead of purchasing the buy 2 days get 2 days free promo, since the extra 3 months would not apply

Based on what was in the fine print of the promotion, yes that would be the case. They'd still apply the price of the park tickets to your AP if you upgrade in the park, but you'd miss out on the extra months. at that point they have your money and there's no incentive for them to give you more perks

I hope that means you can't get the extra months added to an annual pass you have already purchased... We were going to buy tickets from Undercover tourist and then convert after we got there...

Right - if you buy from UT and then convert to AP when you arrive, it will be a straight up 12 month AP. If you buy the AP at the start, you're eligible for the extra months.

Right - if you buy from UT and then convert to AP when you arrive, it will be a straight up 12 month AP. If you buy the AP at the start, you're eligible for the extra months.

No, I was saying I read it to mean prior purchases of annual passes can't get the extra months. Technically you aren't purchasing the annual pass until you convert your tickets, so you could still get the extra months by converting.

No, I was saying I read it to mean prior purchases of annual passes can't get the extra months. Technically you aren't purchasing the annual pass until you convert your tickets, so you could still get the extra months by converting.

So rather than interpret the T&C, I called Universal Guest Services. they confirmed that the only way to get the extra months is to purchase the AP on the front end. They do not have the ability to add the free months onto a membership when performing an upgrade to AP

So rather than interpret the T&C, I called Universal Guest Services. they confirmed that the only way to get the extra months is to purchase the AP on the front end. They do not have the ability to add the free months onto a membership when performing an upgrade to AP
THANK you for clarifying!

I just sent them an email to extend mine I purchased two weeks ago - will let you know what they say

My AP was set to expire 9/17, and they wouldn't give me the extra 3 months, which didn't surprise me.

When we go at Thanksgiving DH may upgrade his 4 day ticket to an AP, so we'll see what he gets then. Sounds like it will only be 12 months from the above posts.

Someone in another thread on this forum just went to guest services and upgraded from a 2-park 3-day ticket to a preferred pass and got the full 18 months and upgraded 3 other tickets of the same kind to seasonal passes and got the 15 months so I think this is still up for debate...

OK got a response today and they did a one time exception to extend my pass 3 months.

So to recap - I had a 3 park explorer and upgraded to a 2-park seasonal pass 2 and a half weeks ago
I emailed them on Friday and they extended my seasonal 3 month without issue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter